Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 07:00 PM

214 posts, read 646,679 times

Advertisements

The sirens went off only on the first Saturday of each month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 06:21 PM

18 posts, read 34,389 times
my old stomping grounds in the late 70's

https://www.flickr.com/photos/donkey...7594100018689/

Old 11-10-2018, 03:35 PM

65 posts, read 111,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
A blasting cap film that I think they showed us in school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn8-rbRMV1k

I remember seeing that one in Eighth grade in the mid-80s (along with a "Making of the Superbowl Shuffle" video) in PE class: it was raining and the gym wasn't available, so they put us in a random classroom and showed those films.

Not as bad as some of the 1960s-era 8mm films I saw in early elementary school in DE, like a series of anger management films called "I'm really mad at you" and "I'm really mad at me" (with a bad jingle, "Why am I doin' the things that I do.... Why am I doin' the things that I do?")

Old 11-13-2018, 05:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,672 times
I remember Slim, As well as Bubbles, Bozo, Jim Alexander, Bonnie Brown, Mike Kevil, JD, Neil and others! I was there all the time. I Miss it!!!!

Old 11-13-2018, 08:48 AM

6 posts, read 15,078 times
SluggoF16, We might have crossed paths at HAyden Hall. I lived there Spring semester 82.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:09 PM

24,284 posts, read 13,137,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajoboy View Post
SluggoF16, We might have crossed paths at HAyden Hall. I lived there Spring semester 82.
I was a regular visitor to Hayden 78-81. After that everyone I knew was out and either in the Sin City area, further south near Broadway or Southern and McClintock or Rural, or on the north side of the river. There was one unforgettable Jungle Juice party at Hayden in the Fall of 80. Dude dressed as a gorilla dishing it out of a trash can with dry ice. The girls who attended loved the fruit soaked in Everclear. Until they realized how messed up they got. One "marked" her territory adjacent to Apache across from Howard Johnson's.

During the flood of 1980, rather than deal with the traffic on the Mill Avenue Bridge, I hung out at Hayden a lot before a Tuesday evening FORTRAN computer programming class (with punch cards, no less!) Traffic was backed up all the way to the Mill-Apache curve, and we (aeronautical engineering majors) tested the latest design of paper airplanes out the third story window. Or the ledge outside the window. (A STEM major does not always guarantee advanced intellect.)

Last edited by SluggoF16; 11-13-2018 at 12:17 PM..

Old 11-14-2018, 08:03 AM

6 posts, read 15,078 times
HA !! Good ol Hayden Hall. Brings back lots of memories. I too took FORTRAN that Spring semester. I believe we were the first class that didn't use punch cards. I wasn't a STEM major, hell it took me 2 years to settle on Accounting as a major. One time during finals week, a few of us were in the hallway about 2 in the morning, bombed out of our minds, empty beer cans all over the place. This Chinese exchange student comes out into the hall, all bleary eyed from studying and asked us, "How are your preparations for finals?" Man, we all about busted a gut laughing. I don't think he got it. :-)

Old 11-15-2018, 07:23 AM

24,284 posts, read 13,137,829 times
This was taken a couple of years ago when I went back to see what ASU was like... very different now, the big Frisbee field at the NW corner or Rural and Apache is completely developed. The old "R-sticker" parking lot across from the plasma center, O'Toole's and Round Table pizza is now a multi-level garage. And parking meters everywhere.

Taken a couple years ago. The maroon arrow is where the nonsense generally took place, the gold arrow is where a lot of buffoonery was on display to the public. Once, in an attempt to see what a burning paper airplane would do, the resident of the room launched it from his window, only to have it get caught in a long since uprooted and replaced bottlebrush. He hollered something, threw every Solo cup he had at us, ran down the hall to the bathroom, and we put out the fire forming a bucket brigade of sorts. Well, maybe a Solo squad. Alcohol was not involved.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,419 times
Post Phoenix Native circa 1960

Hello,
I am a native Phoenician I grew up on 16th street, back then there were orange groves and an open irrigation canal that we use to catch crawdads in I now work at the old Granada Royale on 24th street and Thomas, which is now the Embassy Suites Phoenix Airport. I am looking for some pictures from when it was Granada Royale and/or the restaurant Green Gables next door. I also understood there was a popular restaurant called Gregory's here also. Would love to hear any stories or see any pictures.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:25 AM

23 posts, read 38,174 times
I, as a fun hobby, write stories about growing up in Phoenix. This is an excerpt from one of those stories. Perhaps someone has the answer to this question. Who was this man in the 1950's downtown Phoenix? What was his story?

I recall an unusual and mystifying man to me as a little kid. He seemed to be around often when we visited "downtown" Phoenix. He had lost both of his legs. They were just gone, completely gone. I was told or it was rumored that he was a WWII Veteran. He had a small platform that he rode around on. I think it was wood, it had four wheels and it could really go. He had a device in each hand, I believe, with a rubber cushion on the bottom of each. He could, using those, propel (push) himself along at a remarkable speed if the crowd was not too bad. I have always wondered about him and what story he had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area