Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 03:54 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here are some more photos from 1958.
Mrs. Eileen Felthouse, Arts and Crafts teacherClick image for larger version

Name:	a2.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	58616
Also I have photos of Evelyn Frank, admissions and Renetta Rack, social worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 09:59 PM

83 posts, read 311,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
This photo mentions a Mrs. Jack Eaton who teaches cooking class, I don't know who the nun is or who Mrs. Eaton is, perhaps kneeling at the oven. 1958.
Attachment 58613
yep, that is her. i am going to say it is the woman at the oven.
i guess Good Shepard was her first teaching job, then Phx Union, and eventually Carl Hayden.

jack was my grandfather

thanks for the pic!

Old 02-24-2010, 10:08 PM

83 posts, read 311,174 times
my dad mentioned something about her teaching "the Apache Maiden" there at Good Shepard. i guess it was a big eal in Phx in the late 50's.
from what i understand she had killed several people and was sent there.

anyone ever heard of that story?

Old 02-25-2010, 04:47 PM

In case anyone was wondering if there was a real Blakely of Blakely Service Stations fame, here he is in 1956.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blakely.jpg
Views:	1209
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	58694

Old 02-27-2010, 07:34 AM

3 posts, read 9,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Lee

This one's for you. Johns Green gables. c. 1950
Wow, my thanks my friend. I worked there as a busboy in the 70's and was telling my son about it. So happy to find this photo to show him

Old 02-27-2010, 07:47 AM

Amazing walk down memory lane. I was born in 1959 in Phoenix and all of these images came flooding back reading your words. Found so many great pics here to show my kids who want to know what it was like when daddy was a boy If I could find a pic of the old Chat n Chew hamburger joint, Id be perfect!

Old 02-27-2010, 08:50 AM

and I recall. back in 65 or so, of my mother buying me a small bunch of sweat peas that I would sniff appreciatively while we drove back to our neighborhood a few blocks from the St Agnes church on 16th and McDowell. May father's 59 caddy smelled wonderful and we happily lugged the citrus my father had purchased, maybe some nuts and we really felt like we had been somewhere. For some reason I fear my children dont have memories like the ones I have read on this site of where they grew up. It wasn't that we didn't experience plenty of activities and visit special places with them. I think it is because there was so much competition for their memories. Television, video games, growing up so very fast not to mention the decline of the "richness" of life. I can get excited about my Santa trips to Park Central Mall because of the rather large candy canes they handed out or the marshmallow chocolate Santas the Diamond's Santa offered. They received that penny mini cane and a $29.95 photo opportunity. Harder to treasure those moments for them.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:19 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyphoenix View Post
and I recall. back in 65 or so, of my mother buying me a small bunch of sweat peas that I would sniff appreciatively while we drove back to our neighborhood a few blocks from the St Agnes church on 16th and McDowell. May father's 59 caddy smelled wonderful and we happily lugged the citrus my father had purchased, maybe some nuts and we really felt like we had been somewhere. For some reason I fear my children dont have memories like the ones I have read on this site of where they grew up. It wasn't that we didn't experience plenty of activities and visit special places with them. I think it is because there was so much competition for their memories. Television, video games, growing up so very fast not to mention the decline of the "richness" of life. I can get excited about my Santa trips to Park Central Mall because of the rather large candy canes they handed out or the marshmallow chocolate Santas the Diamond's Santa offered. They received that penny mini cane and a $29.95 photo opportunity. Harder to treasure those moments for them.
I was baptized at St. Agnes in 1958. Like you, I was thinking the other day about what kind of special memories my kids will get from growing up in Phoenix. There are a lot of cool things to do with kids nowadays (we went to the Arizona Science Center last weekend and had a good time), but like you said, they just have so much stimulation these days from multiple media sources - with us, Wallace and Ladmo (and Romper Room, and World Beyond, and Captain Kangaroo, and Saturday morning cartoons, and Jonny Quest) sticks out in our memories not just because they were so good, but also because there just wasn't that much programming for kids, no cable channels devoted exclusively to kids programming, and no DVDs. You had to catch kid's shows on TV when they aired, or you were out of luck!

(And I'm hoping you meant sweet peas instead of sweat peas! Those sound gross! )

Old 02-27-2010, 03:22 PM

As long as we are in the area of St. Agnes, here is a 1946 photo of Bethel Assembly of God on 9th and Oak Streets. Easter Sunday. Evangelist Wm. Ward, brother and sister Green, pastors. I must have known some of the kids since this is in the Willetta and Emerson school district.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bethel.jpg
Views:	1425
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	58799

Old 02-27-2010, 08:17 PM

3 posts, read 11,090 times
I do remember Jack Adams' Alligator farm. I went there with my class when I was in 3rd or 4th grade. I remember being fascinated with all the alligators big and small. There were tiny babies which we got to pet and I remember there was a very very big one who had a name (I don't remember it) but he was the oldest one there. There were also other reptiles like snakes, lizzards and such but what stands out the most is the alligators. When I asked my family if anyone else remembered the alligator farm not one of them did. I am so happy to find that some one else besides me knows of its existance so long ago. This is fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area