Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 03:36 PM

362 posts, read 1,691,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Does anyone remember a club/bar somewhere out around 40th St and Indian School Rd? It was on the north side of Indian School, just past a canal I think..

Or what about a place out on the west side...would've probably been rural Glendale back in the early 70's...ice cold beer and wine coolers and sand lot volleyball...this place backed up to a canal I think (probably the AZ canal)....
I remember 2 big clubs on the east side. Snoopys and The Store.
I also remember the volleyball bar on the westside too. The SeaBeeze!!
Had forgot about that!

BTW - I saw Los Lobos at Mason Jar around 1981. Crammed -smoky -had a blast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 05:57 PM

283 posts, read 875,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
"This is Wonderful Russ for Lepla Moving and Storage..."
Bunkhouse Capers was a show in the early 70's on KDKB that was run once a week and was the funniest thing you've ever heard, even by today's standards. They managed to insult and alienate just about every ethnic group, gender and sexual persuasion on the face of the earth. The FCC threatened to yank their license and fine them if they didn't cease and desist. Needless to say their final show was a doozie and is still the funniest thing I've ever heard to this day!

They had Arthur Baron from the Hair Camp in Tempe as regular a sponsor and advertiser. They made him as gay as possible and warned everyone to be on the look out for him as he may be considered, "armed and ridiculous".

Yes, I do remember Wonderful Russ and Lepla Moving and Storage.

Last edited by desertratz; 07-15-2011 at 07:25 PM..

Old 07-15-2011, 07:11 PM

4 posts, read 11,217 times
Smile Memories of Phoenix 1960's

I remember Phoenix well. I grew up in Miami, Az, a mining town East of Phx.
Went to ASU. Was a teacher in Phx before moving to Oregon.

In 1962 my father in- law purchased an adobe house to be moved onto his property, Squaw Peak, for my new family to live in. He named the street [u]Dreamy Draw. It still is Dreamy Draw but houses now fill that stretch below the mountain...or peak is more like it. It was located on property he owned that was used as a horse riding for tourists and boarding. Boarding, not sure about the tourists. It was called Squaw Peak at that time. I see it has now been renamed.

There was nothing out there when we dug the septic, planted the Mulberry trees around the property and started fixing up the newly moved mud adobe house. We lived in a small Airstream trailer during the months it took to get it livable.

I assume the original adobe house is no longer there. My most vivid memories include the yearly parades Irvin Martin would take his pony wagon and ride down the main streets of Phx in the yearly parade. Dates and other details I don't recall. I love to remember how Phoenix was not that big and Bob's Hamburgers was one of the first in Phoenix. Phoenix did seem spread out and far between one end to the other but nothing like it is now.

The Martins came to Phoenix from Oklahoma during the dust bowl and prospered in the Valley.

I do have fond memories of the Phoenix area. I have trouble wrapping my mind around the idea of all those people living in a desert. Water must be as precious as gold.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:59 PM

4 posts, read 11,217 times
Default When Sky Harbor was a grass strip

Hey, I remember when Sky Harbor was a grass strip and my first husband flew in and out..... with a Cessna.

Now, I must admit I am aging well......71 but all is very clear. That was in 1961..

You may be young enough to not believe anyone 71 can remember so far back.

I now live in an area Roanoke, Va. that has a wonderful small airport much the same as then. Well it does have a long runway that will take jets etc.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:10 PM

5 posts, read 11,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Does anyone remember a club/bar somewhere out around 40th St and Indian School Rd? It was on the north side of Indian School, just past a canal I think...maybe just behind a restaurant. It was kind of a college/yuppi hang out with imported beers and such...fabulous bread and cheese spread...something unique about it would be when you ordered a burger it was given to you raw and you went out back to the BBQ grills and grilled it to your liking. I once heard that they obtained their meat from the restaurant in front (left over steaks) and ground it themselves. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
I believe you're thinking of The Monastery, was on west side of 28th Street just north of Indian School (4114 N 28th St.) They opened a location in Mesa that is still around with a similar concept. The Monastery Bar Home Page

Last edited by observer53; 07-15-2011 at 10:05 PM..

Old 07-15-2011, 11:39 PM

285 posts, read 898,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
The Mason Jar was a rock/punk/New Wave club at 24th St. and Indian School. In either 1980 or 1981 I saw Wendy O. Williams and the Plasmatics there, a show to remember. Think I saw the Meat Puppets there as well.

Only time I went to Clyde's there was a band called "The Deloreans"(?) or something like that; I heard it burned down in 82 or 83.
Debye DeLorean and the Imports?

threeholebassdrum.com/the bands/The Imports

I can't help hearing "Working for the Weekend" by Loverboy and NOT think of Clydes.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:03 AM

427 posts, read 1,178,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickazphx View Post
I believe you're thinking of The Monastery, was on west side of 28th Street just north of Indian School (4114 N 28th St.) They opened a location in Mesa that is still around with a similar concept. The Monastery Bar Home Page
That sounds very familiar...do you know if there was a restaurant in front of it...this is weird but somewhere through the years I had in my head it was a funeral home but that didn't go along with the part about them grinding the meat from the restaurant steaks that weren't sold...but then again all of that may be from my imagination. I think I actually liked the crusty bread and cheese spread they had there the best. Thanks for commenting.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:18 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,581,260 times
Click image for larger version

Name:	rodeo kpho_wm.jpg
Views:	886
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	82462So much talk about KPHO, here is an old photo, maybe you recognize someone. Rodeo Queen is on the right.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:25 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,581,260 times
When I was going out to nightclubs, there was a new one that changed the whole concept of ritzy and stuck up posers who all lied about how much money they had and what their profession was and that was Bogart's in Town and Country. Then Boot's opened in the Colonade and became the hot place in town. Then along came Malarkey's. After these closed, Graham Central Station and Mr. Lucky's kept on chugging along.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:28 AM

24,171 posts, read 13,016,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post

Debye DeLorean and the Imports?

threeholebassdrum.com/the bands/The Imports

I can't help hearing "Working for the Weekend" by Loverboy and NOT think of Clydes.
That's them! I don't remember much other than they had a female lead.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 07-16-2011 at 08:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area