U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 10:33 PM

468 posts, read 222,646 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am in the process of researching school districts to work for upon completion of my student teaching. I will be certified in Elementary Education. I am particularly looking at Alhambra, Washington, and Cartwright but I am open to learn about others districts as well (metro Phoenix area only). I would really like responses from former and/or current teachers from these districts. I want to know about the work environment, professional development opportunities, mentor programs, administrative support, and benefits. I want to to know positive and negative. I won't be relying solely on this forum just I am just looking for honest feedback. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:28 PM

981 posts, read 2,000,925 times
All three school districts are primarily in lower income areas (especially Cartwright and Alhambra). Washington School District is huge geographically (largest elementary school district in AZ) and covers more demographics so it will have a little bit of everybody. The work environment for Cartwright and Alhambra can be stressful because you will be dealing with a lot non English speaking Hispanic families and a lot of the students are ELL students. However one of my good friends teaches at one of the Cartwright schools and she enjoys it very much but she does complain about lack of parental involvement but that's to be expected at schools where the kids come from lower income families. I really don't know a lot about Alhambra sorry. Washington on the other hand would probably be first choice. The teachers really do care and administration strives to make their teachers happy. There are a lot of professional development opportunities and you're even encouraged to take part in it. The Arizona State Retirement Fund is a good pension and you will retire happy.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
All three school districts are primarily in lower income areas (especially Cartwright and Alhambra). Washington School District is huge geographically (largest elementary school district in AZ) and covers more demographics so it will have a little bit of everybody. The work environment for Cartwright and Alhambra can be stressful because you will be dealing with a lot non English speaking Hispanic families and a lot of the students are ELL students. However one of my good friends teaches at one of the Cartwright schools and she enjoys it very much but she does complain about lack of parental involvement but that's to be expected at schools where the kids come from lower income families. I really don't know a lot about Alhambra sorry. Washington on the other hand would probably be first choice. The teachers really do care and administration strives to make their teachers happy. There are a lot of professional development opportunities and you're even encouraged to take part in it. The Arizona State Retirement Fund is a good pension and you will retire happy.
This information is helpful.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:33 AM

25,985 posts, read 34,777,216 times
What no one wants to tell you: these districts are among the worst of the Phoenix area. They recruit young teachers from out of state because local teachers will not take positions there. They are always recruiting too, because the teachers they sign do not stay for long.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:22 PM

2,693 posts, read 5,825,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
What no one wants to tell you: these districts are among the worst of the Phoenix area. They recruit young teachers from out of state because local teachers will not take positions there. They are always recruiting too, because the teachers they sign do not stay for long.
But I know people that have taught at Alhambra's and Washington's traditional schools. Plus I sent my kids to the Washington School District's traditional school. If you can figure out a way to finagle a position at a traditional school, that would be the way to go.

At least in the Washington district they were tired of seeing the best and brightest students heading off to charter schools. So they created Lincoln Traditional School to try and keep those kids in the district. My kids attended school there and it was a great fit for them.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from but you have to start somewhere. Majority of teachers want to teach in ritzy schools. Many teachers teach in the hood because people that get in the top notch schools stay so there is less room for hiring others, especially new teachers.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:52 PM

25,985 posts, read 34,777,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
I understand where you are coming from but you have to start somewhere. Majority of teachers want to teach in ritzy schools. Many teachers teach in the hood because people that get in the top notch schools stay so there is less room for hiring others, especially new teachers.
Just wanted to be sure you knew. On the positive side, this is not Chicago-style hood. These are just poorer neighborhoods with a large fraction of non-native English speakers (i.e. children of illegal immigrants) Physically, the schools are in reasonably good condition. You are not going to be assaulted or anything and, who knows, maybe you can set some kids on a path to educational success.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Just wanted to be sure you knew. On the positive side, this is not Chicago-style hood. These are just poorer neighborhoods with a large fraction of non-native English speakers (i.e. children of illegal immigrants) Physically, the schools are in reasonably good condition. You are not going to be assaulted or anything and, who knows, maybe you can set some kids on a path to educational success.
Thanks for replying. I actually wouldn't mind teaching in a lower income district granted it may be a little harder but I think it will make a well rounded teacher.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:08 AM
AZM

94 posts, read 235,538 times
Alhambra traditional school was a great school for my kids to attend. The staff are all on board as is the Principle. I hope you were able to find as great of a school as this one. I speak from personal knowledge, not from conjecture.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:32 AM

61 posts, read 48,573 times
Washington is horrible. Its HR Department is extra hideous. Alhambra pays better, and they are organized...just avoid Barcelona like the Ebola Virus. Madison is historically good, but boy are they stingy...and you would want to avoid Madison Park in the southern side of the district, too. Call and speak with them first. School Districts have a nasty habit of accepting applications, when they have no intent to hire or they have a large pool of internal misfits that will get first priority. The applications can take about a day to complete if you factor in letters of recommendation, etc.. The school districts can be very non-businesslike, when it comes to hiring. If they aren't very interested in you; you won't even get a "no thank you" email. Sometimes months go by, then they will call you and want you to start that day. As if you could afford to sit there for six months and wait for them to give you a response. I've even personally gone to an HR office and was allowed to sort through their fax inbox to find a form submitted by a former employer. They told me my application was incomplete; but the missing form was sent and received at the time stated, and I found it in about five minutes. By the time they got around to calling me in for a second interview; I had already completed my second day on the job with a better district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area