Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,874 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. I will be relocating to Phoenix within the next few months. I've found a house on Nora Street in the Madrid Community in Mesa (Just off of McDowell, Hawes and 88th Streets). Can anyone tell me more about the area? Is this a really safe area..how is crime and what are the roads like within a 5-7 mile radius of this area? How is retail/grocery stores, libraries or other community amenities? Also, I will be working in DT Phoenix - what would a typical 7 a.m commute look like?

Thanks a bunch for any advise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 AM

19,372 posts, read 27,598,439 times
I don't know the specific community you are looking at, but I do know the area. That's not a commute I would touch without a chauffeur (and I used to commute 34 miles each way from NE Mesa to N Scottsdale, so I'm not totally anti-commute).

I would imagine the area is safe, albeit somewhat further away from grocery stores, etc. That entire area around Hawes has just started being built up. The exits off the highways weren't even opened until last year.

I'd go smaller or pay more to be closer to downtown Phoenix. You'll spend your money in gas and your precious time in the car with that location, I'm afraid.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:57 PM

2,248 posts, read 3,031,905 times
Jk is right. I think the Phoenix metro area is much larger than you realize. That is going to be a bear of a commute, especially as you will be going the same way as almsot everyone else in the mornings and on the way home. Much better off living closer to downtown or at least south Scottsdale or Tempe.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:02 PM

701 posts, read 1,093,468 times
I'm in that area a lot, usually on my bike. It looks pretty nice and very livable, especially for outdoorsy-types, but yes, the commute will probably be awful.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:18 PM

582 posts, read 1,476,113 times
Yes, you picked a remote area allright. Mc Dowell Rd is a major artery in Phoenix, but you are in FAR East Mesa, so far that Mc Dowell Rd doesn't even connect to Phoenix.

On Power Rd, which is about 20 blocks down, and is a main artery, there are gyms, grocery stores, drug stores, etc. so you won't be lacking in that arena. It is isolated out there though. But if you've lived in other major cities where people commute 40-60 miles in mostly bumper to bumper traffic, this is not quite as tenuous.

Actually the 202 (the freeway near there that connects to Central North Mesa, Tempe, and Phoenix) moves fairly well going towards Phoenix. Not much development along it. Your problem is when you get around the 101 in Tempe. Then you have traffic. Compound the traffic with the 30 mile or so total drive each way, and most things besides basic shopping will involve driving out of the area,then you may really start to feel the isolation.

The subject of crime and safety touches a nerve with me because, what kind of crime would you consider exists in a brand new housing area in an extreme exurb of a major city? You won't have hustlers hanging out in the streets would you? Robberies and burglaries happen in rich and poor areas here. You can't pinpoint them, but that doesn't affect you. That tells me you haven't physically been here to house hunt or familiarize yourself with the areas.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:09 PM

165 posts, read 893,016 times
Madrid Community is a beautiful, upscale area! We were looking at a few homes there a few years ago before choosing to live in Mountain Bridge Community, which is next door.

Don't listen to the above advice about the commute. It will take you <30 mins if you take the park-and-ride bus which is on Power/McDowell or about 30-35 mins at 7 AM to get into downtown via loop 202. The traffic gets worse after 7:30-8ish. It took me about 45 mins to get to the Cardinals stadium via loop 202, which is well past downtown into extreme West Valley, driving in about the same amount of traffic that you will see at 7 AM.

The area is very nice, newer compared to rundown/busy Phoenix-metro. You will have plenty of outdoor activities to choose from with Usery Mountain/Tonto National Park as your backyard, a few major lakes 20 mins away (Saguaro and Canyon Lakes), plenty of great restaurants down the street (Nando's is Mexican and Red White and Brew is American, both are on Power/McDowell and are great food), 15 mins from Superstition Springs Mall on Power near US-60 freeway, approx 20 mins from San Tan Village complex with many restaurants, night life, Barnes and Noble bookstore, 20 mins from airport on loop 202, 30 mins from downtown Scottsdale/Fashion Square Mall area, 20 mins from Chandler Fashion Square area-- both of these last 2 options offer plenty of restaurants.

The list goes on and on, but the bottom line is the commute is totally doable (and I have a family member who lives on Elsworth/McKellips which is a bit further East who makes this commute daily without problems).

Good luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area