Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 06:32 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,299,487 times

Advertisements

We moved to the northern part of Litchfield Park a few months ago. We are finally settled in after moving and getting married. Many on this board have fantastic ideas and know the area much more than us. We've only lived in Phoenix for a year and that entire year was in Surprise. I would love to hear about good restaurants, hangouts, shops and any things that are noteworthy about this entire area.

And for the record. We have lived in two northern states, chose to live here and absolutely love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 02:45 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,961,270 times
The Southwest Valley is still growing and a lot of amenities haven't quite popped up yet (but they will pop up just give it some time). And Litchfield Park is so small geographically that there's really no need to label it "Northern part of Litchfield Park" haha it's just all Litchfield Park in general. I thought that was funny. However LP borders the southwest portion of Glendale and it's a quick drive to Westgate which is a nice outdoor venue that is pretty much the weekend hangout spot for a lot of west valley residents. There's also a new outlet mall there now as well called Tanger Outlets. And of course the Cardinal's stadium is there as well. There's quite a bit to do depending on your interest. There's great hiking and outdoor adventures to be had at Estrella and White Tank Mountains. There's The Wildlife World Zoo. There's Arrowhead Town Center just a quuick drive up the freeway in North Glendale. If you're into NASCAR, Avondale just south of LP is home to Phoenix International Raceway which I hear is a good time and fun people watching (never been to a NASCAR race).

Old 08-18-2013, 10:33 AM

202 posts, read 406,685 times
Subscribed as I hope to be moving to that area in the next few months...

Old 08-18-2013, 12:36 PM

582 posts, read 1,475,230 times
BuckeyeBoyDJ hit it just right. The far westside is up and coming. The 2008 recession slowed things down quite a bit as far as new commercial development in the area.

There has been much talk about not that much fine dining etc in the Litchfield Park area.

But you are close to the 101, which if you go north will loop you right smack dab into the happening spots for good shopping, clubs and restaurants.

The Arrowhead Mall area has the most options for you if you want to just "test the waters" on different spots. Maybe try a new restaurant each week, pop in a bar you wouldn't think about going in to have a drink, just to get a vibe. Before long you will find a few "new favorites" to expand your horizons.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:18 PM

Yea we've done some of the stuff that has been mentioned. Love the White Tank Mountains and we did that when we lived in Surprise. Westgate is a nice place to grab a drink or bite to eat. The Tanger Outlets provide some great deals on shopping. And we do get up to Arrowhead for eating/shopping as well as there are plenty of restaurants up in that area and it's a super quick drive on the 101.

Good luck on your move, Eric.

I just wanted to make sure we weren't missing anything!

Old 08-19-2013, 07:29 AM

148 posts, read 264,054 times
How did you like living in Surprise ? We are heading out their next year ?

Old 08-19-2013, 11:19 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,477,156 times
There's plenty of chainstore shopping and just about every restaurant type to fit your needs in the southwest valley but good nightlife and fine dining can be a little hard to find.

For that you have to go to Westgate or even more eastward to central Phoenix, Tempe or oldtown Scottsdale.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:05 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,134,075 times
The Tres Rios festival is something a little bit more unique and that whole area has a lot of potential
Tres Rios Nature & Earth Festival

The Wigwam has some events throughout the year which can be fun - just keep an eye on their webpage

The string of restaurants/bars in that area are nice ..... the bar at the Wigwam also does a nice happy hour, fun to sit outside with a drink there when the weather is nice.

Don Panchos on Central Ave (not the Phoenix version) south of Van Buren is very good. Nothing fancy about it.
Don Pancho Mexican Food - Avondale, AZ

Arizona Frybread is another favorite over on Dysart just north of Van Buren
Arizona Frybread

Flavors of Louisiana by the Walmart/LA Fitness near Dysart & I-10 is also fantastic - love the shrimp po'boy
flavorsoflouisianacajun.com

Lots of good sushi places - my favorite is Tomo on Dysart just south of McDowell

All 3 cities sponsor a lot of activities - Goodyear is typically at the main goodyear park on Litchfield Rd or the ballpark

Pay attention to the West Valley View that is delivered. They give a good recap of business happenings as well as a 9 day calendar.

What kind of places and what kind of activities are you looking for?

Any particular type of shopping?

For example - Kreative Kupcakes on Western in Avondale, Sugar & Spice off Indian School Rd near Millenium HS and Express Donuts off McDowell are all places that I enjoy ..... but if you don't like pastries, coffee, etc then they aren't going to be worth a visit unless you have visitors that like those things

Old 08-20-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj-rk1 View Post
How did you like living in Surprise ? We are heading out their next year ?
If it wasn't so far from everything to do, it would have been great! Seemed like it took forever to get anywhere as the main roads of Bell/Grand are horrible to make any time on because of stop lights everywhere and congestion. Not to mention my commute was 30 minutes and my wife's commute was 60 minutes after I switched jobs a few months after our move there.

Neighborhoods are very clean though and all the grocery stores are super new. You have to love old people if you plan on living there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
The Tres Rios festival is something a little bit more unique and that whole area has a lot of potential
Tres Rios Nature & Earth Festival

The Wigwam has some events throughout the year which can be fun - just keep an eye on their webpage

The string of restaurants/bars in that area are nice ..... the bar at the Wigwam also does a nice happy hour, fun to sit outside with a drink there when the weather is nice.

Don Panchos on Central Ave (not the Phoenix version) south of Van Buren is very good. Nothing fancy about it.
Don Pancho Mexican Food - Avondale, AZ

Arizona Frybread is another favorite over on Dysart just north of Van Buren
Arizona Frybread

Flavors of Louisiana by the Walmart/LA Fitness near Dysart & I-10 is also fantastic - love the shrimp po'boy
flavorsoflouisianacajun.com

Lots of good sushi places - my favorite is Tomo on Dysart just south of McDowell

All 3 cities sponsor a lot of activities - Goodyear is typically at the main goodyear park on Litchfield Rd or the ballpark

Pay attention to the West Valley View that is delivered. They give a good recap of business happenings as well as a 9 day calendar.

What kind of places and what kind of activities are you looking for?

Any particular type of shopping?

For example - Kreative Kupcakes on Western in Avondale, Sugar & Spice off Indian School Rd near Millenium HS and Express Donuts off McDowell are all places that I enjoy ..... but if you don't like pastries, coffee, etc then they aren't going to be worth a visit unless you have visitors that like those things
Great information. We are just up for trying anything and obviously curious about restaurants. Places with live music are great as well and we like more of a pub feel than fine dinning. I think trying out some of the places near the resort is next on my list. We also dig sporting events, even amateur events.

I've looked at the Flavors of Louisiana sooooo many times! That place looks amazing. I can't get the wife to bite as she isn't a seafood or spicy food lover. I'll get there soon though!

Thanks for the post.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:21 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,303,181 times
I saw a listing of free events in Avondale in the newspaper coming up soon-
http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...es-briefs.html
Places to take kids in the West Valley
http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...html#protected
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area