Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:40 PM

31 posts, read 71,327 times

Advertisements

So I recently moved to Laveen and I know a lot of people have very poor opinions of Laveen
I've loved it so far I've been here about 2 months, I think the area is becoming more of an up and coming area with the housing market growing again, and the suburban decay people were talking about a few years ago isnt coming anytime soon, new communities are being built all over Laveen, the prodominent builder being Richmond American, homes ranging from $150-300k I know the prices are still lower but its a start, my home value has gone up $40,000 so far this year, from $160k to $200k, so I mean its a start even for a 3,200 sq ft house. Any opinions on Laveen, and the growing housing market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 05:48 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,337 times
Laveen is just an extension of South Phoenix really (well it is technically South Phoenix). It's South Phoenix with new homes basically. Don't get me wrong there are some nice housing communites in Laveen but it's just too much section 8 and renters there for me. Just go to the Frys on 51st Ave&Baseline and the Walmart on 35th Ave&Southern and observe the clientale. Laveen really needs more amenities as well for it to be an up and coming area. There is absolutely nothing to do near there you have to drive quite a ways just to go to a decent mall and what have you and traffic on Baseline is a monster. However Laveen's fairly central location and hopefully with the additon of the 202 South Mountain freeway Laveen will start looking more and more desirable but as of now.....ehh I'll pass unless I really wanted a cheap home and worked in central Phoenix or something.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:55 PM

I understand what you think, but just because the majority of the population is minority, myself included doesn't make it a bad place to live, look at the parking lot of the Fry's majority of the cars are Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Range Rovers. I'm also a renter but honestly I don't get why renters are viewed poorly they pay more in rent than you do on your mortgage, if I rented my home I'd be paying $600 more a month. The community is basically the Arizona equivalent to a city I lived in a few years back Ladera Heights, it has a high minority population but high median income, and the whole thing about distance at least its not as bad as Maricopa and Buckeye, but I think Laveen is becoming a better place to live

Old 08-21-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARV423 View Post
I understand what you think, but just because the majority of the population is minority, myself included doesn't make it a bad place to live, look at the parking lot of the Fry's majority of the cars are Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Range Rovers. I'm also a renter but honestly I don't get why renters are viewed poorly they pay more in rent than you do on your mortgage, if I rented my home I'd be paying $600 more a month. The community is basically the Arizona equivalent to a city I lived in a few years back Ladera Heights, it has a high minority population but high median income, and the whole thing about distance at least its not as bad as Maricopa and Buckeye, but I think Laveen is becoming a better place to live
First of all I am full blooded sexy caramel skin african american so let's not even go there. I haven't had to put nobody in check on here in a minute and really not in the mood tonite and second of all that couldn't be any more not true. You must need some better glasses if you think the majority of the cars at that Frys is full of Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, and Range Rangers......please squash that!

Old 08-21-2013, 11:57 PM

Hahaha do you even go to the Fry's first of all and I exaggerated but a lot of the vehicles are newer and or luxury cars, and dude seriously "sexy caramel" lol. [mod cut- personal attack, language] my neighborhood has a median income of $93,000 a year so quit with your "Laveen is ghetto" stuff lol
And Im guessing you are from Buckeye? A horrible place to live compared to Laveen, average income of $50,000, 50 miles from civilization, I'd take Laveen any day along with my custom 3,200 sq ft luxury home, Range Rover HSE Sport, and Audi A7, Thx for the imput

Last edited by observer53; 08-22-2013 at 12:39 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Hahaha do you even go to the Fry's first of all and I exaggerated but a lot of the vehicles are newer and or luxury cars, and dude seriously "sexy caramel" lol. Seriously you are just ****ing ignorant my neighborhood has a median income of $93,000 a year so quit with your "Laveen is ghetto" stuff lol
And Im guessing you are from Buckeye? A horrible place to live compared to Laveen, average income of $50,000, 50 miles from civilization, I'd take Laveen any day along with my custom 3,200 sq ft luxury home, Range Rover HSE Sport, and Audi A7, Thx for the imput
No I don't live in Buckeye my name represents the Ohio State Buckeyes hence "BuckeyeBoyDJ". Anyway dude God bless you and I hope you have a good week.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:38 PM

344 posts, read 812,721 times
Calm down lol Laveen is dowdy in some areas and pleasant in others. Unlike some here, I won't make blanket generalizations that because parts of it aren't great, therefore none of it's worthwhile. Quite the contrary; there are pleasant areas that I wouldn't mind living in at all.

Up and coming I have no idea but the economy, finally, slowly is improving, which will benefit Phoenix overall including Laveen and other areas that have lower priced land along with pent up/delayed residential and business demand.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:23 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,767 times
I was in Laveen off of 35 ave and southern about 2 weeks ago. I can't speak for all of Laveen but gotta say I was baffled. I have never seen an area built up with new housing and shopping centers (by the way some big houses in those subdivisions), be such a slum. I am speaking nothing about race whatsoever I welcome diversity. I'm talking about the people digging in dumpsters, people asking for money and just general people up to no good. I am glad I did not move to Laveen because I totally would have and regretted it if I'd have found a nice place around there instead of Mesa. Why is Laveen such a slum? The area has obviously had some money invested into it. Laveen reminds me a lot of National City, Ca but with nice new homes and businesses. Don't mean to bag on the place but I really don't get it. From what I read it was a farming community before it was built on. When did all the homeless and drug addicts work their way in?

Old 08-23-2013, 10:33 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,767 times
Quote:
Hahaha do you even go to the Fry's first of all and I exaggerated but a lot of the vehicles are newer and or luxury cars, and dude seriously "sexy caramel" lol. [mod cut- personal attack, language] my neighborhood has a median income of $93,000 a year so quit with your "Laveen is ghetto" stuff lol
Wow heated much? You sound like me defending El Cajon in the San Diego forum lol. Generally my method when someone bashes my hometown(which also has a lot of drugs and homeless in many areas is to offer up some of the nicer parts of town and even the couple upscale areas. I usually say that before ignorantly condemning my whole city to take a drive thru granite hills, fletcher hills, Bostonia and the areas straddling the border with santee. Mind you my hometown has been in a slow decline for years while Laveen as a whole is newer developements. Which is why my curiosity is sparked hard on this one. So where are the good parts of Laveen. I'm curious enough to come in and have lunch in maybe a coffee in one of those areas to put my brain at ease. Your income is high enough to live comfortably anywhere in the valley(can't get over the insanely cheap cost of living) so obviously there must be something to Laveen.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:00 AM

I live on 67th and Baseline, sorry its just someone basically saying I live in the slums, I understand its more of a middle class suburb but just sit at the corner of 51st and Baseline in the morning on a weekend, you do see a lot of normal newer average cars, but then you see Range Rovers, Bummers, etc. Go to the Starbucks in the plaza on 51st and Baseline it feels like an average middle/ upper-middle class suburb, the people are seemingly normal and sane, 35th and Southern isn't a good area by any means, I consider Laveen more like 43rd/southern to 75th/Dobbins the farther west in Laveen the better IMO, I work in the mortgage industry which has been growing rapidly because of places like Laveen which are going immensely. Sadly its coming to an end, and the housing market is stabilizing and becoming a steady slow trending market, so I'm being laid off from my $80k salary, but I have other offers, anyways this isn't going to be the next Maryvale, I think this will end up just another slightly above average suburb.

Southern/ 35th Ave is more South Phoenix you don't see that stuff over here in the more upscale areas of Laveen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area