Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 02:17 PM

268 posts, read 1,159,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I'm a newbie but I always do 10-digit dialing. I guess I'm used to it b'c I'm a "city girl" and haven't done "7-digit" dialing for a good 20 years now! Wow, I've never heard anybody present this as such a big concern in their lives. You must get wrong numbers a lot!!
I think the longer you live here, the more you will notice that many forget to give out an area code or forget to dial an area code. It may or may not bug you because everyone has different pet peeves. It's not that it is so much of a big concern as it is a big annoyance is all.

And yes I agree, 480 has the best shopping in town. I'm glad that is where I live to cut down on my commute to the good stuff. My other favorites besides Macy's and Nordstrom are Crate & Barrel and Banana Republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 02:21 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
I totally understand ... we really do have our own pet peeves!

LOL, I am very jealous of the east side shopping. Slowly but surly though, I think we'll get there!

Old 11-17-2007, 01:04 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Default area codes

I am from the 805. That is in Ventura County California although Santa Barbara county also uses it and some parts of LA county as well. When you are from So. Cal part of the thing we do is use an area code to determine where someone is from. I guess any time you get a lot of people calling a small patch of ground home, you get to have all this great confusion. I remember talking with a friend from Idaho while we were in the state of Iowa. He wanted to know what the area code for the state was. I asked him what part of the state. He said the entire state. I told him that the state had 3 areacodes. He didn't know that a state could have more than 1 area code. At the time Idaho only had one area code. In California, I remember area codes getting added every 5 or 6 years it seemed.

In New York City in the clubs having the right area code was what got you a second look. If you lived in Manhatten, you were in. About 5 or 6 years ago they reluctantly added an area code and messed up the entire dating thing. People weren't sure where they were from. And purchasing a cell phone in the Manhatten area to get an area code even stopped working. I could just see it, "Yea I live in the bronx, but my cell phone is from Manhatten." "Maybe if I can't atract her attention at least the cell phone can." Not anymore, because of the area code.

In the Los Angeles basin they have been thinking about creating a wireless area code. Maybe we could do that in the Phoenix area. But then I am still a few months out from calling the area my home. I can't wait to be a part of the problem.

So I guess that I don't undertand what all the fuss is with the area code thing. I do remember talking to a representative of the builder of my home today and she gave me the number of someone in the area and I had to ask her if the number she was giving me had the same area code. She told me that she was giving me the area code and the number. I guess that I didn't think about the idea of giving the entire 10 digits all at the same time. I am slow like that. Should have thought about that because I always offer my area code when giving my number. Never know if someone lives outside of the 805.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:16 AM

Default Oxnard and Wal-Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
I never said i didnt see mexican people,i said i dont hear them speaking spanish because they dont know how to speak english. The walmart i goto is on bell and grand.

The city of surprise is about 70%+ white

The city Oxnard in CA is probably 70%+ mexican and the pop is 250k+ and houses start at 500k.

I dont know how the average person can afford a house.

How do you figure that we have 250,000 people in Oxnard? The last census shows that we have about 189,000 people in the city. I would bet we are now over 200,000 but no where near 250,000 yet. As far as the Wal-Mart on Gonzales Road and Rose Ave at the Shopping at the Rose shopping center in Oxnard, that has got to be the worst Wal-Mart in the world. My kids didn't have a clue that Wal-Mart was opened 24 hours a day because of that one store. Too much theft for Wal-Marts taste. Don't forget thought that Oxnard is an Ag town. I bet the Strawberries that you get at the Wal-Mart in Surprise came from the fields of Oxnard. By the way I also have shopped at the Surprise store on Bell and that is one of the nicest Wal-Marts that I have ever been to. Not that I am a Wal-Mart hopper. (By the way, If that has never been used before, remember that you heard it here first and that I just invented it. "Wal-Mart hopper: Someone that visits Wal-Mart stores to compare them against other Wal-Mart stores.) Of course maybe it has been invented, and someone is going to sue the out of me.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The geographic codes give us a hint as the the quality of the person we are calling.

480=eastside= good person, maybe even someone from Scottsdale
623=westside=illegal alien
602=inner city=poor person
520=farmer or someone who drives a long way to work (in PHX area)
928=tree-hugger

I know that my parents who live in the beautiful city of Surprise and the place we are also buying a home that will be completed next year, have a 623 area code. I haven't seen to many illegals there. Maybe they live in other parts of the area. Not sure. As far as Spanish speaking I hope we can find that within an area that borders Mexico.Notice I did not say I was hoping for an illigal population. There are some small minded people that think that just because someone is of Latin decent that they are automatically illegal or were born in Mexico. Not sure how that matters to what phone number you have. My wife was born in the USA. Many of her family members served this nation in its time of need in former wars. I doubt that anyone they served with would tell them to go back to Mexico where they belong. If you remember this was part of Mexico many years ago. I do hope that there is an area of Phoenix that has some spice to it. Not to hip on white bread. Got to add a little seasoning to the mix. I was happy to hear that the cable company offers a block of Spanish language stations. Where I live we have just a few. But then I don't have HD tv either. We will be getting that in our new home just to get the block of Spanish language channells. Another point is that if those people within this forum are so smart, why is it that many Mexican imigrants, legal and illegal can learn English but we the "smarter race" can not figure out how to say more than hello in Spanish? Although I don't agree with illegal imigration, I do see there point for wanting to be in the greatest nation on earth. This is the place of opportunity. This is a place that not only can you have more than one phone, you can have more than one area code within the same home. Now that is progress. I am very happy to be married to an American of Mexican decent. She is happy to be married to me. My family also are imigrants. They imigrated from England many years ago.Long before there were telephones or area codes.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:48 AM

788 posts, read 2,110,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Another point is that if those people within this forum are so smart, why is it that many Mexican imigrants, legal and illegal can learn English but we the "smarter race" can not figure out how to say more than hello in Spanish?
As of the last census AZ is still 80% "white bread", but that was a while ago. Many kids take Spanish in school. I took 3 years in high school, so although that was a while ago and I don't practice it as much as I should, I can definitely say more than "hola" in Spanish. I agree though, that we should be teaching a second language starting in preschool (because after the age of about 4-5, learning a second language is much less effective). I learned my second language (French) at the age of 3, and used it every day until I was almost 13. Even though I didn't use French regularly for about 5 years, when I started studying French again in college, it came back within minutes. I also learned my 3rd language from 3rd to 7th grade (Spanish was my 4th). At one point, I was fully trilingual, as are many people in Europe. We need to catch up to the rest of the first world in that respect. I'm going to be teaching high school French as soon as I can finish my certification program. I wish we had public school programs to begin teaching languages earlier. Learning a second language helps with many skills, including analytical (patterns, etc), creative, communication (obviously), research, as well as having a wider world view, and being able to be more tolerant of people who have lived in a very different environment. That being said, I'm highly against our current illegal immigration epidemic.

But anyway, what does this have to do with area codes? Not much, but I do think that some odd assumptions have been made about people who have certain area codes. That's about as inane as believing that someone is "good" or "trash" based on what car the person drives.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
As of the last census AZ is still 80% "white bread", but that was a while ago. Many kids take Spanish in school. I took 3 years in high school, so although that was a while ago and I don't practice it as much as I should, I can definitely say more than "hola" in Spanish. I agree though, that we should be teaching a second language starting in preschool (because after the age of about 4-5, learning a second language is much less effective). I learned my second language (French) at the age of 3, and used it every day until I was almost 13. Even though I didn't use French regularly for about 5 years, when I started studying French again in college, it came back within minutes. I also learned my 3rd language from 3rd to 7th grade (Spanish was my 4th). At one point, I was fully trilingual, as are many people in Europe. We need to catch up to the rest of the first world in that respect. I'm going to be teaching high school French as soon as I can finish my certification program. I wish we had public school programs to begin teaching languages earlier. Learning a second language helps with many skills, including analytical (patterns, etc), creative, communication (obviously), research, as well as having a wider world view, and being able to be more tolerant of people who have lived in a very different environment. That being said, I'm highly against our current illegal immigration epidemic.

But anyway, what does this have to do with area codes? Not much, but I do think that some odd assumptions have been made about people who have certain area codes. That's about as inane as believing that someone is "good" or "trash" based on what car the person drives.
I agree. Doesn't much have anything to do with the area code. Cogratulations on your linguistic ability. I have only 2 languages to my name. Would be so cool to have the ability as you said in other nations to know more. I also agree that it is easy to detect where a person lives from there area code and concurr on several beliefs that the area code would provide. Your idea that you can't really tell about a person from the kind of car they drive also is well taken. I for one drive a Hyundai Accent that I purchased in 2000 but I bet you can't tell how much money I make from that bit of wisdom. I also am buying a home in Surprise and you would think from that information that the kind of home I am purchasing is of a lower price than those in the East end. What it doesn't tell you is that I am from an area that has homes that cost as much and more than those on the east side. I have lived by the ocean my entire life. My other car is a Porsche and I fly a Mooney 201 for fun. Except for the house I am devt free and loving life. Yes I have to work for a living, but I am not up to my ears in debt trying to live in Scottsdale to impress my family and friends. Nothing against Scottsdale. I think its a great place. I for one am just tired of living in a high debt lifestyle. So for me the 623 is a great area code.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:23 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
We live east of Apache Junction and have the 520 AC. In fact, we are so rural it seems, there is no caller ID or voice message service available in our area

We have just gotten used to the 10 digit telephone numbers - no big deal

Old 11-17-2007, 03:10 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We live east of Apache Junction and have the 520 AC. In fact, we are so rural it seems, there is no caller ID or voice message service available in our area

We have just gotten used to the 10 digit telephone numbers - no big deal
I have a friend at work who lives in Gold Canyon. She drives to 7th st and Camelback everyday. They built a big custom home and are trying to sell it (it's been over a year).

Old 11-17-2007, 03:47 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
The 623 area is one of the fastest growing areas of the state. For sports fanatics you have the Cardinals Football Stadium, which is also used for many events besides football. You have the Coyotes Arena, which also has many other events, and then there are the winter homes for several major league baseball teams. Large nice shopping centers are built or are being built. There are many nice subdivisions, many custom homes and a large population of wealthy people. You also have Lake Pleasant and other nice areas of scenery. The 623 area is a much larger area than the 602 area.
All areas have their plusses and minusses, IMO the 623 area is a great area to live and enjoy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area