Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 02:51 PM

8 posts, read 22,940 times

Advertisements

Dear All,

I am a nurse and I received 3 offers to work in diffrent cities: Houston, Phoenix and Charlotte. Hard decision. I have been checking all websites to research the best city but it is difficult when you are fare.
Well I have to make a decision soon and I thought that here would be the best place to ask.
I am married and I have a son. So school is extremelly important,this include good education and security. The jobs will be in the Medical center in Houston, The ne cancer hospital Phoenix or the cancer hospital in Charlotte.
Please I will really appreciate if you could give me ideas of life cost, transport, schooll, houses, taxs, etc.

Note that I am in Britsol Uk

Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 03:11 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotheuk View Post
Dear All,

I am a nurse and I received 3 offers to work in diffrent cities: Houston, Phoenix and Charlotte. Hard decision. I have been checking all websites to research the best city but it is difficult when you are fare.
Well I have to make a decision soon and I thought that here would be the best place to ask.
I am married and I have a son. So school is extremelly important,this include good education and security. The jobs will be in the Medical center in Houston, The ne cancer hospital Phoenix or the cancer hospital in Charlotte.
Please I will really appreciate if you could give me ideas of life cost, transport, schooll, houses, taxs, etc.

Thank you all.
Public schools and the public university system is much better in Houston and in Texas in general as compared to Phoenix and Arizona. Not sure about the local public schools in Charlotte but I know that the University of North Carolina is one of the best public schools in the country.

As far as the others (and I can only compare Houston and Phoenix): Taxes are generally lower in Houston, although property taxes are much higher there. The State of Texas does not have a state income tax though. Houses are generally cheaper in Houston as compared to Phoenix, but Phoenix's prices are dropping so much because of the real estate crash that still may not be the case. They are both VERY spread out and sprawling. Distances from one side of the metro area to the other are immense. Traffic in both are bad, especially if you are driving from one of the exurbs to the city itself. A car is required in both cities although the public transit system is slightly more developed in Houston as compared to Phoenix. I know they have a rail line running right into the medical center there which would make life easier if you are close to a metro station. Houston is a bigger city and (in my mind at least) feels much more international and more sophisticated. Houston certainly feels much bigger than Phoenix. Both places are hot although Houston has a little more seasons and weather than Phoenix (which is pretty much the same everyday). If you are interested in outdoor recreation, Phoenix takes the race on that one although Houston is closer to the ocean and a beach.

Personally (and this is just my personal taste) I think I would take Houston over Phoenix any day. I would suspect that the pay is better, there is more opportunity in Houston (the Med Center there is the largest in the world I believe), and it just feels much more "grown up" and sophisticated. It also has much better airport connections which would be better for flights back to the UK.

Anyway, hope this helps. If you have any additional questions you are welcome to pm me. Cheers and good luck.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:30 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
Quote:
Dear All,

Thank you all.
Could you clarify where you have received an offer of employment in Phoenix? I'm not familiar with an institution called "ne cancer hospital Phoenix."

Old 11-14-2007, 04:49 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Dear All,

Thank you all.

I don't know about Houston but if you move to Charlotte you may not want you son to go to some of the Mecklenburg county schools. Look into Union County, Ft Mill, Cabarrus or Iredell. The traffic in Charlotte is bad, not as bad as Phoenix but no picnic. I don't know where the cancer hospital is located but that would be a factor on what part of Charlotte you should live.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:05 PM

477 posts, read 1,582,967 times
I hear that Houston is a great city, reasonable cost of living, and diverse. I have a cousin who moved there with a young family(from phoenix) and they have yet to move back. They love it out there! As far as Charlotte, it's the "south" if that's what you want. I hear the schools are overcrowded, it apparently is a beautiful area. Phoenix is great for the medical field but so are a ton of other major cities. I can't say I love it here, but it's where I live and where I am raising my family. I sometimes wish I wasn't here, but somewhere where the grass is greener.....

Old 11-15-2007, 06:20 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Could you clarify where you have received an offer of employment in Phoenix? I'm not familiar with an institution called "ne cancer hospital Phoenix."
ne = new? I think it is the Cancer Treatment Centers of America hospital that is going up in Goodyear.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:22 AM

Sorry evebody. I will answer all the posts soon. Thank you for helping. I missed the w wich is for the word "new" and the hospital is in Goodyear as Ponderosa mentioned.

Kothe

Old 11-15-2007, 02:19 PM

Hi

Very good comments. They are helping immensely. Thank you, I really appreciated them.
I will check all the informations posted here.
I am sorry for the stupid questions but I have no clue how the taxes work there. Well there is a tax for every State. What is the difference for 3 cities (States)? Could you give some figures? What about Federal Tax? Could you tell me also how the insurance (home, car) works?
Is Goodyear so far from Downtown? Where should be the best place to live?

Kothe

Old 11-15-2007, 02:31 PM

66 posts, read 203,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Houston is a bigger city and (in my mind at least) feels much more international and more sophisticated.
Sophisticated? I was only in Houston briefly but the downtown was the deadest I've ever seen! Is it not deader than downtown Phoenix?

If I'm not mistaken, Phoenix is the only one out of the three with concrete fences in your backyard!

Old 11-15-2007, 02:43 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,159 times
I'd encourage you to visit each city before you decide. I'd imagine that'd be tough since you're out of the country, but I wouldn't move anywhere without visiting first. We can each give your our opinions, but everyone has their own concept of a good way to live - you're the only one who can make that decision.

Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to move to Houston. It's dirty, polluted, spread out, and they get terrible rain and hurricane threats. Course, many of those complaints apply to Phoenix too. Primarily, I'm just not a fan of TX in general. Between Charlotte and Phoenix, I'd chose Charlotte b/c it's on the east coast, closer to DC, NYC, etc, about 3 hours from the beach, and there are some really nice areas that are affordable to live. I agree with Sheena's location recommendations. We looked into those areas when we thought we were moving there.

Again, though, do lots of research online then visit in person.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area