Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 03:55 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times

Advertisements

This image is the typical LA traffic scene. In fear of getting into an accident I did not take a picture, but the 101 during rush hour from Tempe to Chandler is this picture. Average speed is 20mph and sometimes a complete stop. No accidents or anything going on. Being that I've seen new housing development signs and fencing going around empty lots in the east valley the problem is only going to get worse. How many more cars does there need to be before we have a North South route?

I've seen the same thing with the I-17. There is one of those commuter buses from north phoenix down the I-17 to downtown. But both commuter buses that ride the I-10 and I-17 are packed.

Expansion isn't possible for these freeways, so what's left? On-ramp reduction? Any talk outside government about this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 04:53 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
I don't know that the 1-10 and I-17 commuter buses are "packed"... if they were, they'd add more trips. They run quite a few trips on the RAPID routes as it is. I'm not sure what you mean by "both" commuter buses. There are multiple routes on the 10, and the one route on the 17.

That said, I don't think there are any plans even on the drawing board to run light rail north-south anywhere in the east valley. "Talk outside government" doesn't much matter, for issues like this.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:05 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,055 times
The only other north-south route planned is supposed to run up the 51 toward Paradise Valley Mall. And that's a decade or two away from even being started.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:22 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,451,525 times
I don't know if it was "North-South" or not, but Scottsdale was offered a line and they turned it down.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:54 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Future plans for travel in the Valley by the year 2050. (More likely 2150 the way the government works)
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...efreeways.html

Old 09-02-2013, 11:10 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,984 times
Ehhh I'll doubt it. By the time it does and if it happens we'll have flying cars and no one will even care about the light rail.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:40 PM

428 posts, read 5,884,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
I don't know if it was "North-South" or not, but Scottsdale was offered a line and they turned it down.
I think a rail in Scottsdale would be a terrible idea. Sure it sounds great and would be convenient, but the city is already developed very nicely and it is just unnecessary- it would feel like an after thought. Scottsdale rd north of camelback is just way to prime and already beautiful to put a rail line on- PV residents would never allow it. What else is there, Hayden? But that has McCormick ranch, another huge obstacle. The only way I could see a rail/commuter train through scottsdale is if it was above ground and along the 101 and headed to some commuter train stop in downtown phx.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:59 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince3vince View Post
I think a rail in Scottsdale would be a terrible idea. Sure it sounds great and would be convenient, but the city is already developed very nicely and it is just unnecessary- it would feel like an after thought. Scottsdale rd north of camelback is just way to prime and already beautiful to put a rail line on- PV residents would never allow it. What else is there, Hayden? But that has McCormick ranch, another huge obstacle. The only way I could see a rail/commuter train through scottsdale is if it was above ground and along the 101 and headed to some commuter train stop in downtown phx.
I agree with the feasibility of it, or lack thereof, but I would love to see it. I would love to be able to have dinner in Old Town without worrying about driving after a couple cocktails.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:27 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,451,525 times
Default Re: Will there ever be a north-south light rail path excluding downtown?

Quote:
Your not gonna get any argument from me. I don't live in Scottsdale and it's very seldom that I have any need to go there.

Apparently, the Scottsdale City Government and/or its residents have deemed an investment in furthering public transportation services either: unnecessary, undesirable, or a waste of financial resources; or possibly all of the above.

Although I may not be in agreement, as far as I'm concerned, that decision is completely between the residents of Scottsdale and the local Scottsdale City Government.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:47 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
The only way I could see a rail/commuter train through scottsdale is if it was above ground and along the 101 and headed to some commuter train stop in downtown phx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I agree with the feasibility of it, or lack thereof, but I would love to see it. I would love to be able to have dinner in Old Town without worrying about driving after a couple cocktails.
So then how about a 101 freeway median light rail with park and ride, and perhaps a short spurlike streetcar connection to Old Town Scottsdale, say down Indian School connecting to that line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area