Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:48 PM

24 posts, read 32,041 times

Advertisements

Greetings forum. I will be relocating to chandler from Pennsylvania in November. I have a wife and 4 kids under the age of 9. We are African American family. We want to know how the locals are. I know there aren't many African American in chandler, heard only like 2%. That's one of the main reasons moving to west coast because we want our children to grow up in a diverse area. White, black, Hispanic, Asian, etc. can you please tell us what to expect, what fun things to do with our children etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 06:38 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
If you are considering Chandler, consider Gilbert as well, since housing tends to be cheaper while not being too far out.

As for black areas, there really aren't very many out here. I really don't know of any.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:57 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
If you're seeking diversity, I don't know that any SUBURBS in Maricopa County are going to qualify — I've never been in one that wasn't predominantly white. You'd get more diversity in the City of Phoenix. I've heard it said, though, that Chandler is more diverse — in terms of race, ethnicity, and religious belief — than some. Certainly it is a family-oriented area with good public schools that welcome everyone.

Chandler has a lot of land and facilities dedicated to children's sports activities. You can start checking out the scene here: Youth Sports Programs - Raising Arizona Kids Magazine
Chandler's San Tan Soccer Club sponsors teams for all ages. San Tan Youth Soccer Association

The Chandler Center for the Arts has many free concerts other theater events, as well as a huge calendar of activities for children: CCA Connecting Kidz
There's an environmental education center: Chandler Environmental Education Center
Plenty of places to swim: Chandler Environmental Education Center
And FOUR public libraries: The Chandler Public Library Locations and Hours

Chandler's Downtown Partnership offers monthly art walks, as well as a variety of festivals and free music, to draw people to that renovated and growing neighborhood. Downtown Chandler

Chandler's proximity to to the university in Tempe adds opportunities for interests of every type, in terms of lectures and concerts, and other art and academic activities. ASU's team sports will be a stone's throw away. Sun Devil Stadium has room for more than 70,000 football fans. Men's and women's basketball games, as well as volleyball and gymnastics, are played at Wells Fargo Arena. Several Major League baseball teams have spring training facilities nearby.

Make sure you drive your family up the 202 to East Ray Road and take them here: Joe
It really is smack in the middle of a working farm, so young kids love this place. And the food is good no matter how old you are.

As someone who has just moved, you might also benefit from the fact that Chandler is close to IKEA. It's near the intersection of W. Warner and S. Priest. Its most recent innovation: if you have an electric car, you can charge it there free while you shop.
IKEA Tempe Home Page - IKEA

Good luck with your move!

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 09-02-2013 at 07:07 PM..

Old 09-02-2013, 07:26 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,501 times
Despite Chandler (well metro Phoenix) not having the highest percentage of African Americans it really is a great place to live and raise children. Speaking as a young African American man who spent a good portion of his childhood in Chandler I can honestly say it was a good experience. I never felt left out or anything and I made some awesome friends. There aren't a lot of African American families but there are a lot of interracial families. I was the only "full" black kid a lot of the time while a good portion of my other black friends were biracial (mainly black&white). There's a lot to do in the Chandler/Gilbert area and the area has grown so much just in the past 8-10 years. When I was a kid my dad used to take us to what is now called "Makutu's Island" it used to be called "Disney something....." can't remember the name but it's a fun place for kids and there's Skateland, Chandler Fashion Center (Build a Bear Workshop, Barnes&Noble,Lego Store), Freestone Park (It's actually in Gilbert but it's a pretty fun and the kids will enjoy it), Game Works and IMAX Theatre (In Tempe at Arizona Mills), Jump Street (indoor trampoline park), Chandler/Gilbert YMCA, Nozomi Aquatic Center. There's lots of little league sports and regular things like movie theatres, Peter Piper Pizza, there's Amazing Jakes and Golfland Sunsplash in Mesa. Oh and the Arizona Science Center and Children's Museum in Downtown Phoenix is worth the drive for an educational but fun day with the kiddos. There's a lot more to do for kids but since I don't have any I really don't know of a whole lot of kid activities off the top of my head. Anyways welcome to Chandler!

Old 09-03-2013, 07:55 AM

Wow thank you all for the replies. I'm so excited for our new beginning. I have dreamed this as my dream location. Major sports major college family friendly city. Once I get rooted and ready to buy a home I will look into Gilbert. Thank you for that suggestion. I really appreciate everyone's replies.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:18 AM

10 posts, read 100,249 times
I am also relocating my family to the Phoenix area from PA! It's nice to hear that other young black families are moving to the area. The lack of diversity will certainly take some adjusting to, but hopefully the positives will outweigh the negatives. Good luck to you and your family!

Old 09-03-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkarma209 View Post
I am also relocating my family to the Phoenix area from PA! It's nice to hear that other young black families are moving to the area. The lack of diversity will certainly take some adjusting to, but hopefully the positives will outweigh the negatives. Good luck to you and your family!

Wow thats good to hear Newkarma209.... what part of PA are you coming from if you dont mind me asking.. yes definitely good to see more blacks coming in... Cant wait to get there.. Good luck to you and your family as well..

Old 09-04-2013, 12:08 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
We are an African American family and we love living in Chandler. First, the school districts are good and it has become more diverse over the years. We raised our daughters here and were never worried about crime. I can't tell you how many times I've left my car window down or the car unlocked in the driveway only to find it just like I left it! For the most part people are pretty friendly. While they don't go out of their way to engage (it's a western thing!) they will respond once they are engaged.

I have NEVER experienced any race-related problems here. As a matter of fact, there are so many biracial couples out here I'm sure we may lead the nation in that category! The western lifestyle is different and may take some getting used to. It's a lot more laid back out here and there is a live and let live attitude. The culture is still evolving as people are moving here from all over. The pay may be a bit lower here as it is a right-to-work state and unions aren't strong here, but the cost of living will also be cheaper. Housing is also cheaper, but the prices are going up again as our housing market is one of the strongest in the nation. You already know about the weather so I won't talk about that. Gilbert, as mentioned in another post, is also an up and coming city. I love living in the east valley because there is a lot to see and do, especially if you're the outdoor type. The lakes are about 30-40 minutes away and cooler temps are about 20 mins away in Globe. In spite of the media's attempt to smear the State's reputation, people of all ethnicities are still flocking here. There is a reason Phoenix is the sixth largest city in the nation. Good luck.

Last edited by goolsbyjazz; 09-04-2013 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 09-04-2013, 01:01 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
We are an African American family and we love living in Chandler. First, the school districts are good and it has become more diverse over the years. We raised our daughters here and were never worried about crime. I can't tell you how many times I've left my car window down or the car unlocked in the driveway only to find it just like I left it! For the most part people are pretty friendly. While they don't go out of their way to engage (it's a western thing!) they will respond once they are engaged.

I have NEVER experienced any race-related problems here. As a matter of fact, there are so many biracial couples out here I'm sure we may lead the nation in that category! The western lifestyle is different and may take some getting used to. It's a lot more laid back out here and there is a live and let live attitude. The culture is still evolving as people are moving here from all over. The pay may be a bit lower here as it is a right-to-work state and unions aren't strong here, but the cost of living will also be cheaper. Housing is also cheaper, but the prices are going up again as our housing market is one of the strongest in the nation. You already know about the weather so I won't talk about that. Gilbert, as mentioned in another post, is also an up and coming city. I love living in the east valley because there is a lot to see and do, especially if you're the outdoor type. The lakes are about 30-40 minutes away and cooler temps are about 20 mins away in Globe. In spite of the media's attempt to smear the State's reputation, people of all ethnicities are still flocking here. There is a reason Phoenix is the sixth largest city in the nation. Good luck.
Wow you need to let me borrow your jet pack if you're getting to Globe in 20 min from any where in the East Valley....

Old 09-04-2013, 01:07 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Wow you need to let me borrow your jet pack if you're getting to Globe in 20 min from any where in the East Valley....

Yes, you get to the first lake BEFORE you get to Globe, but even the lake is a bit more than 20 minutes away.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area