Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 10:03 PM

628 posts, read 1,437,001 times

Advertisements

Hello. My fiancé has just accepted a job offer in Phoenix and I'm looking for some recommendations on apartment complexes to look into. Her office will be located on North 44th Street between Sky Harbor and the 202. We will only have 1 car to start out with, and I will be arriving jobless, so living within walking distance of the light rail is crucial for me. Ideally, we'd like to find a newer/modern-ish, preferably furnished (not mandatory), 1 bedroom in the $500-$700 a month range somewhere between Tempe and downtown Phoenix, but I would love suggestions on other areas to check out. I lived in Mesa for 1 year back in 2009, so I'm a little familiar with the valley, but that was 4 years ago now. We will be moving from Albuquerque. Any ideas? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 01:54 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,077 times
I can't provide you the names, but you can do a search of these addresses.

There is a complex in the 4900-5000 block of E. Van Buren across from the main post office.

On Central and Indian School, the 4200 block or so of North Central Ave in Phoenix.

The 500-600 block of West Indian School Rd in Phoenix
The 400-600 block of East Indian School Rd in Phoenix

North 3rd Ave or North 2nd Ave in Phoenix

North 7th Ave, the 3100-3400 block.

Also search apartments near Downtown Phoenix or Central Phoenix.

Do those searches and post some complex names and addresses here and we can tell you the walkablity and viability of considering those places.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:36 PM

216 posts, read 605,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
within walking distance of the light rail
newer/modern-ish
furnished
$500-$700 a month range
Pick three of those things; I don't think it's going to be possible to hit all four. Even three might be pushing it. Doing a quick run through on Craigslist, I don't see anything furnished for anywhere near that money, and most of the places I'm seeing within that price range are at the very top of it, and are not "newer/modern-ish" for the most part.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:00 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,984 times
Well first of all apartments on the light rail route are already more expensive to begin with and you want something furnished in the $500-$700 range......yeah good luck with that. There a couple nice places on the light rail such as The Lofts at Rio Salado (they're pricey though), The Mandarin (they don't look too pricey I'm sure their 1 bds run in the upper 600-mid 700 range). If you don't mind going a little more east there are a few affordable complexes in Mesa on the light rail line or a short walk to the light rail where you can find something more in your budget. Honestly, you might have to get a couple of miles or so off the light rail and just take the bus to the light rail and that will open up a lot more options. $500-$700 really isn't a lot to work with if you want to live right on the light rail line. A lot of the condos and lofts on Apache in Tempe for instance on the light rail line are pretty pricey.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 PM

1. I said the furnishing factor was not mandatory.
2. I did say within "walking distance" of the light rail - I am physically able to walk. I did not say "right on the light rail line."

By stressing the new/modern thing, I meant that I just don't want to move into somewhere that is dilapidated and overrun with cockroaches. I do know that good quality apartments in this price range exist. Regardless of all of the growth happening in the SW, rent in Phoenix is still much cheaper than what I am used to (I'm also new to Albuquerque - love it, but not much opportunity here.)

Anyway, I really appreciate your responses, I apologize that I didn't elaborate on what I meant.

The most important things from the criteria that I listed in the previous post, are definitely a) walkable proximity to light rail and b) $700/month maximum rent. Is that better? Thanks again.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:55 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,984 times
{mod cut- personal] If $700 is your max then walking distance to lightrail is really your only option. I would start my search in Central Phoenix like around the Christown Spectrum Mall area which has quite a few apartment complexes nearby that rent pretty cheap and it's within reasonable walking distance to 2 lightrail stops (19th Ave&Montebello and 19th Ave&Camelback). However you get what you pay for so keep that mind. That immediate area is a little on the ghetto side but it isn't dangerous just a little more low income. The lower the rent the more "interesting" your neighbors will be if you catch my drift. My other suggestion would be in Tempe near the University. There are a dozen apartments within reasonable walking distance to 2 stops. If you don't mind dealing with more of a college crowd then that will be a good area to look into. Tempe also has the Orbit Bus which is a pretty good way to get around Tempe without a car. Tempe has the best public transportation in the metro area and it isn't terribly hard getting around Tempe without a car. I would personally choose Tempe just for the easier car free lifestyle since you don't have a car. Hope I helped....

Last edited by observer53; 09-09-2013 at 10:25 AM..

Old 09-09-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Well first of all apartments on the light rail route are already more expensive to begin with and you want something furnished in the $500-$700 range......yeah good luck with that.
Anyway, thank you for the information, yes you definitely helped. It's much appreciated.

Last edited by observer53; 09-09-2013 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: orphaned response to deleted portion of post

Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
{mod cut- personal] If $700 is your max then walking distance to lightrail is really your only option. I would start my search in Central Phoenix like around the Christown Spectrum Mall area which has quite a few apartment complexes nearby that rent pretty cheap and it's within reasonable walking distance to 2 lightrail stops (19th Ave&Montebello and 19th Ave&Camelback). However you get what you pay for so keep that mind. That immediate area is a little on the ghetto side but it isn't dangerous just a little more low income. The lower the rent the more "interesting" your neighbors will be if you catch my drift. My other suggestion would be in Tempe near the University. There are a dozen apartments within reasonable walking distance to 2 stops. If you don't mind dealing with more of a college crowd then that will be a good area to look into. Tempe also has the Orbit Bus which is a pretty good way to get around Tempe without a car. Tempe has the best public transportation in the metro area and it isn't terribly hard getting around Tempe without a car. I would personally choose Tempe just for the easier car free lifestyle since you don't have a car. Hope I helped....

The other option in Tempe is to find something close to one of the express bus lines. Gives you another option to get to and from work, if you find work in the downtown/midtown area (you can use the light rail to take you further north and west along the line, once the bus gets you downtown.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:50 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
There are some apartments and condos along Washington Street on the Tempe side, which is actually pretty close to 44th Street & the 202 freeway. I'm not sure what the prices are, but $500 to $700 per month won't get you too many amenities these days ... and likely not furnished. Also, there are some apartment complexes just north of there along Van Buren Street on the Phoenix side which might be more in the OP's price range, but it's not exactly a good area.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:08 AM

13 posts, read 19,682 times
West Mesa is probably your best bet for your budget. Tempe would probably out of budget, especially considering that the light rail runs alongside ASU. There are lots of apartment complexes near both washington and jefferson but have no idea about the price there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area