Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:05 AM

2,379 posts, read 2,711,644 times

Advertisements

You know all those magical hoses that expand and contract, and take up so little space? I saw that one of them had a nice review in Consumer Reports, but how are they in Phoenix? Specifically, I remember that the last time I bought a hose, a few years ago, the guy at the hardware store was talking about how some makes just can't survive the Phoenix summers. So I wondered if these expanding hoses disintegrate in our weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 11:14 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
You know all those magical hoses that expand and contract, and take up so little space? I saw that one of them had a nice review in Consumer Reports, but how are they in Phoenix? Specifically, I remember that the last time I bought a hose, a few years ago, the guy at the hardware store was talking about how some makes just can't survive the Phoenix summers. So I wondered if these expanding hoses disintegrate in our weather?
Don't buy one! I bought one in Walmart a couple of months ago. The first time I used it it worked ok but leaked a little at the faucet end. The next time I used it a couple of weeks later it still worked but leaked a LOT at the faucet end. I tried to use it last week and water poured out the faucet end and nothing went through the hose. Garbage. And that's where it went. I feel totally ripped off. Maybe the sun killed it, but I didn't have it very long so I think it's just another example of crappy quality.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:34 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I would not spend my money on one. A hose is not something that you can expect to last long here no matter the type. The expensive black "rubber" ones are the best and the cheaper ones are good for a season if that. Even if they don't separate, they turn brittle, black and burnt looking if they are in the sun. The only things that last outdoors here are made of concrete or metal.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:24 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
the sun definitely does it's damage out here - however, i've had good luck with hoses

my aunt has a couple of the expandable hoses and loves them - although I've heard bad things as well .... her's has lasted through this summer at least with no issues.

I use a gatorhyde hose and have used it for 2 years. The one prior was out for 6 years with no issues except it was too long and too much diameter to help manipulate the better water pressure I wanted

Old 09-10-2013, 12:40 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,373 times
Junk, junk,junk! I bought my wife one and within a week, the hose blew off at the female end. My mother in law bought three of them and same problem.

I ended up buying my wife a perment shaped spring looking plastic hose, its held up well and stretches out quite far.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:52 PM

550 posts, read 1,126,865 times
Are you talking about those hoses that they advertise so much on TV ? If yes stay away from them. I almost bought one but after reading all the negative reports on the BBB and on the internet I changed my mind.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I have two of them and they are great for household hoses.I keep mine in small basket and they are light;easy to hookup and never kink. I don't think if you want a heavy duty hose it might not be what you want. I advise to get the new larger diameter. I know my air conditioning man was where I first actually saw one and he loved it saying he normally just uses it for quick clearing of drains and to wash down outside units and got tried of dragging heavier ;dirty hoses out of the truck. Got mine at local hardware store and he said bring it back if you don't like it during warranty if it fails. Out of one year warranty now.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:48 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,255 times
I bought one and it lasted 3 weeks. One day I turned the water on and it burst open.

I saw a new one advertised made by DAP that is guaranteed if it breaks, but I noticed the cost is more than the $19.95 50 foot Pocket Hose brand I had.

These hoses may work for occasional use where you have a small area to water, and you don't keep it on the faucet. The heat here I think is a downside for too much outdoor exposure.

The concept is great. I hate having to deal with untangling and rolling up a hose.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 PM

284 posts, read 700,847 times
We bought one, tried it out and took it back. Said right on the package not to store it in the sun, and we didn't want to disconnect/reconnect it every time we used it.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:06 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Recently I was at Home Depot and at the return desk I saw a cart full of returned/defective green fold up hoses. That speaks for itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area