Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 11,695 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating from Michigan to Pheonix area. My husband would be working on South 67th Ave, zip-code 85043. I would like to find a place to stay (we figure we will rent at first) that is somewhat near where he will be working. We have a new baby, and would like to find a nice neighborhood, with nice schools. Is this location in a bad area? Could we find a nice place to stay within 40 minutes of this place??

Any response will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 02:36 PM

7 posts, read 24,796 times
67th Ave would put you close to the north south side of the 101 loop freeway. In 40 mins you could live anywhere either side of that freeway and maybe even further around after it turns east and still get to work in the zip code you mentioned OK. The west valley has large areas under development i sure you will find a mix of older traditional phoenix neighbourhoods and brand new master planned communities along that 101 stretch.
In AZ education is not that great.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:42 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacebaby View Post
We are considering relocating from Michigan to Pheonix area. My husband would be working on South 67th Ave, zip-code 85043. I would like to find a place to stay (we figure we will rent at first) that is somewhat near where he will be working. We have a new baby, and would like to find a nice neighborhood, with nice schools. Is this location in a bad area? Could we find a nice place to stay within 40 minutes of this place??

Any response will be greatly appreciated!

You don't want to live in that area for sure. That's looks like it's off of McDowell. Try the Palm Valley area you maybe able to find a nice rental home or apartment, the schools are good that area too. You can also try Glendale that wouldn't be a bad commute up 67th Ave depending how far north you live. You need to be North of Olive and West of 51st to get into the Peoria school district though.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:07 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
There are a lot of new developments from about 67th Avenue - 115th Ave and south of the I-10 Freeway (S of Buckeye Rd). Lots of new shops around the major intersections, new elementary schools etc. These homes are the best priced in the PHX area. I drive though that area everyday and so far so good as far as outward appearances. This part of town historically was either farmland (most of it) or the communities of Cashion and Avondale where migrant and poor Hispanics who were "allowed" to live in the PHX area. As such, there are some pretty old and dismal neighborhoods in the midst of all this newness - mostly around 115th Ave. There are a couple of large dairy operations still there too, and the flies and the odor can be quite intense in the summer. The dairies will probably be run out pretty soon. And SOME of the schools are underacheiving because of a high percentage of non-English speakers, poverty etc. You can find a relative bargain on a brand new house here, but do check things carefully and don't believe the realtors - they lie. Also, based on past experience, the lower priced housing developments tend to deteriorate after 5-10 years as people move up and rentals take over. But, it does look pretty nice in most of these areas and I would have a look. The Palm Valley area to the west is more expensive and will be more stable over the years.

Do not buy anything N of Buckeye Rd near 67th Avenue. It's a tough neighborhood and the schools are atrocious.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:23 AM

434 posts, read 3,177,952 times
Most of my clients are the industrial companies in 85043. It is like a slice of industrial Detroit set down in the desert. Lots of warehouses, fuel depots, manufacturing. I would not let my wife drive around this area at any point during the day or night. Take everyone's advice and stay away.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:04 AM

4 posts, read 11,695 times
Question moving

We would really like to stay someplace that isn't too urban. Where we currently live, it's considered "out in the country". Someplace where you aren't 10 feet from your neighbor's house, and not too many people drive by who don't live nearby.

We would like someplace rural, where you can burn your own trash, and have a "bonfire" outside in the backyard on a nice night!

I don't know if someplace like that exixts near enough to where he will be working (304B South 67th Ave). But that's what we are looking for!

Old 10-13-2006, 10:14 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacebaby View Post
We would really like to stay someplace that isn't too urban. Where we currently live, it's considered "out in the country". Someplace where you aren't 10 feet from your neighbor's house, and not too many people drive by who don't live nearby.

We would like someplace rural, where you can burn your own trash, and have a "bonfire" outside in the backyard on a nice night!

I don't know if someplace like that exixts near enough to where he will be working (304B South 67th Ave). But that's what we are looking for!
Where he is working is pretty much in the middle of town. But don't despair. There are some properties to the south - south of Baseline around Dobbins if you have a map that are rural. That area is called "Laveen". It is quickly being taken over by housing tracts though and you will pay through the nose for anything with land around it. Other places to look - Rainbow Valley (south of Buckeye Rd (MC85) on Jackrabbit Trail. There are lots of 1-5 acre and more properties and a mix of all sorts of housing, moblies to mansions, and people there. I like it. I don't know if you can burn in a barrel - we've got clean air restrictions on many winter days - but it is the wide open spaces for sure. Lots of people who think like you are moving there and prices are not cheap - but cheaper than Phoenix. There are always some houses and mobiles for sale if you don't want the hassle of a doing well, septic etc. It would take you about 25-30 minutes to get to 67th from there.

Further out ioff I-10 is Tonapah area and again, you can find a lot of parcels out that way. Traffic is fine till you hit town but you are adding up some miles. Maybe 30-35 minutes to 67th Ave. Your best bet is the west/southwest areas outside Phoenix. You can find what you want in Queen Creek and SE parts too, but the commute to 67th will kill you.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:27 PM

78 posts, read 421,296 times
Yeah, that's not a good area at all. A fair amount of drive-by shootings, and hold-ups seem to occur in that area.

Palm Valley/Pebble Creek is just a few miles west along I-10 and are master planned communities, with golf courses, pools, and lots of businesses.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:18 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsoon74 View Post
Yeah, that's not a good area at all. A fair amount of drive-by shootings, and hold-ups seem to occur in that area.

Palm Valley/Pebble Creek is just a few miles west along I-10 and are master planned communities, with golf courses, pools, and lots of businesses.

Finally someone agrees with me, Laveen is a tough area. Whitewashed lately but same old downtown Phoenix.

Agree Palm Valley.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:00 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,998,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Finally someone agrees with me, Laveen is a tough area. Whitewashed lately but same old downtown Phoenix.

Agree Palm Valley.
WHA? Laveen - Downtown Phoenix?

NOT EVEN.

NEVER.

I don't know how in the world you could compare these places - Downtown has alot going for it right now.

And to the original poster, I too suggest the Palm Valley area.

And no, Laveen is not a very good area, but then, has it ever been?

I used to just consider it part of the reservation.. =/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area