Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 04:57 PM

36 posts, read 59,766 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I do not have a car, although my mom does, but she is busy job hunting and being the breadwinner, I'm on my own.

I am aware of Dial A Ride, but I believe that's only open 7am-7pm M-F, no holidays, and it's ONLY for Peoria (I have called and confirmed). That's the main transportation I have in mind.

Are there any other transportation options out there? A Taxi will be really expensive for me - I'm trying to find a job.

Also, does anyone know of any places that might be hiring in Peoria? Walmart is apparently a no-go for me.

Please, hold all obvious responses of "You can't get around without a car" unless you are willing to provide me with a car I am aware of the difficulty, hence my post asking for other options.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 05:16 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,192,912 times
www.valleymetro.org has all the bus information. There's not much, if any, service west of 67th Ave, but if you can get yourself to a bus stop, and then to a park and ride like Metrocenter, that opens up some more options. Tough to use that for job hunting, but it may be the only option you have if you can't even borrow a car. (once your mom finds a job, maybe you can take her to work and then use the car to hunt yourself during the day)

Once you start, depending on the job, you may find someone you can ride with for some gas money. Or, if you are really lucky, once you both find jobs, if they are in the right places, you and mom can share the car.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:23 PM

2,761 posts, read 5,681,290 times
Weather is starting to turn, how about a bike?

Old 09-12-2013, 05:26 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,538,586 times
What about renting a cheap car? I think Enterprise still does their $9.99/day weekend deals.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:03 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,432,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Weather is starting to turn, how about a bike?
Agree. To expand upon this, you can ride your bike to the closest bus stop and either secure your bike there or throw it on the rack in the front of the bus; either way this method will get you transportation to anywhere in the PHX Metro area that Public Transit goes.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:13 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,980,173 times
If you can make it down to the Arrowhead Mall area, there are a ton of places ramping up for their seasonal hiring. It's right on the Glendale/Peoria border so the Peoria Dial-a-ride might be able to get you close.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:14 PM

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately, I don't have a bike, and am not really interested in that option for multiple reasons. Even if I were, where I need to go is still pretty darn far for a bike ride. Also, the current weather is still incredibly hot for me.

observer53, thanks for the link. It is awkward for us both trying to job hunt at the same time. It is my hope once I find a job and she finds a job, I can adjust my schedule OR once I get a job and befriend people who are up to giving me a lift to work for money, I will also adjust my schedule.

Also, I stand corrected: Dial A Ride is open 6am - 6pm.

Cody (nice to see you again!), that was my original plan of action: Take the Dial A Ride bus to the Arrowhead Mall and catch a bus there...but, trying to job hunt outside of Peoria due to having to catch multiple buses is going to be tricky, not to mention money and time consuming. I think I'm going to exhaust all options in Peoria first before expanding my area.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 PM

Oh, also, Detroit - I can drive, but do not have my license, so renting a car is out of the equation right now, but that's a really good solution for someone who does have their license but is car-less!

Old 09-13-2013, 07:32 AM

19,361 posts, read 27,576,013 times
Autumn, when I used dial a ride many years ago, it was only available to those who were permanently or temporarily disabled. My doctor had to complete paperwork and provide information to get me approved to use the service.

Additionally, I did have to make a payment for each ride. Even when I was using dial a ride to get to and from work 5 days a week, they were notoriously unreliable.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:14 AM

Jkgourmet: Thanks for the reply, but I have called them myself and talked to them. It could be they changed. They serve disabled and non-disabled. Trust me, in SoCal it is only for disabled, so I was confused when my apartment manager suggested it to me.

From their website
https://www.peoriaaz.gov/newsecondary.aspx?id=891 :
ADA Service Hours
Monday – Friday
4:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Saturday / Sunday / Holidays
6:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
(Depending on fixed route hours of operation. Call (623) 773-7435 for more information).

After hours, please call (623) 693-1043 and leave a message if you wish to reserve an ADA trip.

Non-ADA Service Hours
Monday – Friday
6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
(No service on national holidays)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area