U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-06-2008, 06:49 PM

58 posts, read 92,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Dallas is just a tad bit better than Phoenix. Both cities are extremely cultureless and sterile. The only advantages that I see in moving is escaping this oppressive Arizona heat and going to something a bit milder(although the Dallas humid heat sucks too). As far as jobs, Dallas has a much better job market than Phoenix, but the problems are similar, both cities have a relatively high crime rate and problems with illegal immigration. Both cities are very similar in the sense that they are boring places with little culture or things to do. Plano, Texas(a suburb of Dallas) is like a carbon copy of Scottsdale, same kind of people, same kind of BS..if you are miserable in Phoenix, you will probably be miserable in Dallas..these two cities are very similar in many aspects.
I am from North County San Diego and moved to TX 2 years ago for cost of living. Dallas is NOTHING like the west coast. It is highly conservative, VERY religious overall and FLAT as a pancake. There are no mountains, no Flagstaff, no driving to beautiful beaches in SD in 6 hours, no hiking. If you like to hunt and fish, this might be a good fit. Saying Dallas and Phoenix are similar is very irresponsible. This poster has obviously never lived in Dallas. It is "Southern" living where Phoenix is "West Coast" living. HUGE difference.

Do you like palm trees? There are none in TX. If you are born again and like Big 12 football, move to Dallas. Tornado warnings are brutal. Loud sirens in the middle of the night. Hail strorms will ruin your roof and car. People are nice and cost of living is cheap but if you have an ounce of West Coast blood, stay put!!

We are moving to Anthem in July and can't wait to escape this Dallas hellhole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-06-2008, 06:57 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Dreaming View Post
I am from North County San Diego and moved to TX 2 years ago for cost of living. Dallas is NOTHING like the west coast. It is highly conservative, VERY religious overall and FLAT as a pancake. There are no mountains, no Flagstaff, no driving to beautiful beaches in SD in 6 hours, no hiking. If you like to hunt and fish, this might be a good fit. Saying Dallas and Phoenix are similar is very irresponsible. This poster has obviously never lived in Dallas. It is "Southern" living where Phoenix is "West Coast" living. HUGE difference.

Do you like palm trees? There are none in TX. If you are born again and like Big 12 football, move to Dallas. Tornado warnings are brutal. Loud sirens in the middle of the night. Hail strorms will ruin your roof and car. People are nice and cost of living is cheap but if you have an ounce of West Coast blood, stay put!!

We are moving to Anthem in July and can't wait to escape this Dallas hellhole.
How in the hell is Phoenix west coast???? Palm trees are not native to AZ, they were brought here. People can bring them to Texas if they want to also. We don't have a very big ocean here, last time I checked I could see all the way accross "Big Surf", and as of recently they have removed the sand! How lame is that!! It's grass now, ew. We just wish we were west coast, we are really just southwest. I know, not as cool, but the truth anyway. So is Texas, New Mexico, etc.... We are the great Southwest. Yipp, we are. By the way, it's not that close to go to the beach from here. Only more of a drive than it is from the mid states but everyone else can get to the coast in less than 6 hours. So, it's not that close, although I love it and lived there for a while, we are nothing like San Diego or L.A. except for the pollution.

Unread 06-06-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
How in the hell is Phoenix west coast???? Palm trees are not native to AZ, they were brought here. People can bring them to Texas if they want to also. We don't have a very big ocean here, last time I checked I could see all the way accross "Big Surf", and as of recently they have removed the sand! How lame is that!! It's grass now, ew. We just wish we were west coast, we are really just southwest. I know, not as cool, but the truth anyway. So is Texas, New Mexico, etc.... We are the great Southwest. Yipp, we are.

How many CA transplants are in AZ? How many kids from CA go to UofA and AZ state? It is the "mentality" that is west coast. Have you ever lived in TX? It sucks. If I want to drive 6 hours and camp at Cardiff state beach and surf all weekend I can. TX, good luck. I have a family that is from CA and I can drive to visit them. Lake Havasu, Palm Springs, LA, Disneyland, La Jolla, Las Vegas all withing DRIVING distance. Where you going to drive to in TX? Oklahoma? ha ha.

I don't care where palm trees are Native to. I just want to see them in my every day life.

Unread 06-06-2008, 07:28 PM

12,582 posts, read 12,662,518 times
Well there are palm trees in Texas. Just not in North Texas. You'll see them along the coastal bend towards South Texas, San Antonio, the Gulf Coast and Houston.

The Dallas-Ft. Worth AREA is conservative. Meaning the suburbs are conservative. Dallas proper is anything but conservative. It is moderate if anything slightly leaning towards the left. Heck, Gore and Kerry won Dallas and Kerry lost Dallas County by a mere 1% in the last election. I'm sure Obama will win not only Dallas city but Dallas county as well. Same with Houston and Harris. Houston area is conservative. But Houston city is the same exact way. So this extremely conservative vibe is true but not all the way accurate.

Where can Texans drive to within a days drive? New Orleans, Gulf Coast of Florida and Alabama, South Padre Island, Chicago(can do it in 15 hours), Colorado, and more. What does it matter anyway if we are only a plane ride from places.

Unread 06-06-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well there are palm trees in Texas. Just not in North Texas. You'll see them along the coastal bend towards South Texas, San Antonio, the Gulf Coast and Houston.

The Dallas-Ft. Worth AREA is conservative. Meaning the suburbs are conservative. Dallas proper is anything but conservative. It is moderate if anything slightly leaning towards the left. Heck, Gore and Kerry won Dallas and Kerry lost Dallas County by a mere 1% in the last election. I'm sure Obama will win not only Dallas city but Dallas county as well. Same with Houston and Harris. Houston area is conservative. But Houston city is the same exact way. So this extremely conservative vibe is true but not all the way accurate.

Where can Texans drive to within a days drive? New Orleans, Gulf Coast of Florida and Alabama, South Padre Island, Chicago(can do it in 15 hours), Colorado, and more. What does it matter anyway if we are only a plane ride from places.
I thought plane rides were the ticket. If you are single, it is no big deal. With a family of 4 and two dogs to board, it is expensive and time consuming.

I will take La Jolla & Del Mar, Manhatten Beach and Disneyland over New Orleans and South Padre (3 hours longer drive BTW).

I'm from SD and I have lived in TX for 2 years. TX is not a bad place to raise a family but it is SO different from Phoenix or So Cal IMO. Just trying to give my honest opinion.

Unread 06-06-2008, 09:23 PM

4,000 posts, read 5,661,147 times
I don't know if I would claim The Gulf coast states in the same league as California, and Mexico beaches. Hell, I wouldn't claim the gulf coasts of Bama, Olde Miss, or Louisiana to be quite as fun, safe, and much, much less racist than Lake Havasu.

As for palm trees in Arizona, technically they are native. Ever wonder why they THRIVE here? Well because some time ago, no one is really sure, could be a hundred years, could be a thousand, but certain palms grew in the desert locales in Arizona. Because of birds eatting seeds necessary for reproduction, they lost the war with those fowl creatures. However, Palm Canyon near Yuma, one can find those last "real" native AZ palms. I wouldn't say the Phoenix and AZ are of the Cali lifestyle, but they are of a West Coast temperment. West Coast doesn't mean California as Seattle and Portland are very "West Coast" in their outlook. Phoenix is much more in tune with that sensability than with New Mexico's "southwestern" flare and that undenible "Texan" way of life. They are quite different.

Unread 06-06-2008, 10:56 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Dreaming View Post
How many CA transplants are in AZ? How many kids from CA go to UofA and AZ state? It is the "mentality" that is west coast. Have you ever lived in TX? It sucks. If I want to drive 6 hours and camp at Cardiff state beach and surf all weekend I can. TX, good luck. I have a family that is from CA and I can drive to visit them. Lake Havasu, Palm Springs, LA, Disneyland, La Jolla, Las Vegas all withing DRIVING distance. Where you going to drive to in TX? Oklahoma? ha ha.

I don't care where palm trees are Native to. I just want to see them in my every day life.
Ha ha, I see what you mean but I am from the East Coast and everything out here until Calif. is conservative and millitia. I mean you can carry a gun to Fry's Market Place ( think Ted Nuget), our education I mean, who here really cares. I just have always thought of AZ as more like Texas slash Nebraska. Leave us alone if you don't like it kind of place. And I have lived here now for 30 years. It has been a rebulican state for ever. We always vote that way. The Mormons marry 15 girls a piece up North. I have never thought of us like CA. Maybe with the transplants it will get that way, I hope for it all the time, but so far I still see the true Arizonan in the store everytime I go to remind me of where I am at and it doesn't remind me of Cali. lol By the way, every Native I have meant, who love AZ, hate California and the way the people there think. They don't want them here, and they sure as hell don't want them to change the wild west! Really!

Unread 06-07-2008, 02:29 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 3,456,620 times
Please get back on the OP's topic: Questions about Dallas/Ft. Worth.

Unread 06-07-2008, 07:46 AM

752 posts, read 1,514,143 times
Smile AZ like Clifornia??

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Ha ha, I see what you mean but I am from the East Coast and everything out here until Calif. is conservative and millitia. I mean you can carry a gun to Fry's Market Place ( think Ted Nuget), our education I mean, who here really cares. I just have always thought of AZ as more like Texas slash Nebraska. Leave us alone if you don't like it kind of place. And I have lived here now for 30 years. It has been a rebulican state for ever. We always vote that way. The Mormons marry 15 girls a piece up North. I have never thought of us like CA. Maybe with the transplants it will get that way, I hope for it all the time, but so far I still see the true Arizonan in the store everytime I go to remind me of where I am at and it doesn't remind me of Cali. lol By the way every Native I have meant, who love AZ, hate California and the way the people there think. They don't want them here, and they sure as hell don't want them to change the wild west! Really!
Wow this is some powerful stuff. This guy has lived here for 30 years and cant see how az is like CA.

Actually Phoenix is not like any other city. I have tried to group it before with other cities but you cant.

You may be able to group Atlanta with Dallas and Houston. or Boston with San Fran and maybe Philly but Phoenix? Maybe with the Riverside area Although Riverside is not a desert. Phoenix is not like Vegas which is the only other Major City in a desert.

What other area woud you compare Phoenix with??

Unread 06-07-2008, 08:05 AM

4,000 posts, read 5,661,147 times
I wouldn't compare Phoenix with any other city and Arizona with anyother state. As stated before, this thread needs to get back on topic. But because jd433, and twiggy seem to post inflamatory and false drivel, I will debut them with what I stated earlier. It really gets old arguing the same things over and over, constantly debunking the myths about Phoenix that these two and a few others post.

"Careful with the rhetoic. "Hispanics" are not running from Arizona, only those here illegally, using falsified documentation. Hispanics are the largest growing segment of the population...next are Asian.

What I happen to love about Phoenix, is that it is highly integrated. Phoenix lacks those hardcore ethnic enclaves, save a few Hispanic ones, but there is no doubt a diverse group of people. Speaking on integration, I was forwarded a table from a fellow poster...(looking for it) that has some interesting demographic info. The person who sent it to me is a demographer with her employer. She sent it to me because it shows that Phoenix has one of the highest bi-racial couple populations in the country. This is based on marriage certificates, affadavit of domestic partnership (gay and straight) and from surveys compiled by a few sources including the census.

I live in a neighborhood (Roosevelt) with people from 20 different nations (actually, this is just two blocks of the neighborhood) all working for large firms (e.g. Honeywell, TGen, Avnet, OnSemiconductor, U.S. Airways to name a few) and for educational institutions like ASU and Thunderbird. My parents have 6 very close friends, in the far West Valley, that are each from different nations in which their language has never been spoken to me and that most Americans wouldn't know existed. This is just a small sampling, I can go on and on, with this friend, that friend, this neighborhood, ASU student body population, engineers, scientists, financiers, etc. etc. that are from a plethora of nations.

Diversity in Arizona and the "cities" (Flagstaff, Tucson, Phoenix) has been embraced wholeheartedly since the late 50's. Even though Arizona tends to vote Repblican on the national stage, here at home, democrats and others like independents and libertarians rule. Arizona is in a world all it's own when comparing politics. "Goldwater" republicanism is embraced here, and it is still the political driving force for the state. Goldwater was loved by Hispanics and he was a proponent of gay rights...image back in those days and in Arizona! He had much influence and helped shape the Arizona of today.

Another example, gays are very comfortable in AZ as it is not taboo in this state (in the broad scope of the issue, especially in Phoenix, Flagstaff), again Goldwater helped to shape that. In 2006 Arizona was the FIRST state to vote DOWN an ammendment to the state constitution that would have banned gay marriage. Domestic Partnerships are not banned or politized and the state recognizes such "contracts.'"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area