Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:39 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,109,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince3vince View Post
Again doesn't affect me. Whoop dee-doo, people here need to think about things other than profiteering off of real estate.
If you do not know anything about it, and clearly you don't, how can you say it doesn't affect you? It will hit you in the wallet.

Read. Process the info. Then post.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:44 PM

517 posts, read 1,703,935 times
This won't affect any border staff will it? I need to cross at Algodones on Thursday.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:46 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
The amount of tourism money we're going to lose if this drags on (an estimated 18,000 people visit the Grand Canyon each day in the month of October) is going to be significant. The feds get the entrance fee, but Arizona reaps the benefits of other sources of tourist revenue. Does anyone else remember what happened the last time tourism in this state took a hit (while acknowledging there was a myriad of other problems/catastrophic events occurring at the same time)? It was only 5 years ago, and this state hasn't done a whole lot in that amount of time to diversify its economy. We're still as dependent on tourism and home construction as we've ever been.

There are also tons of federal workers in this state. Those who got furloughed don't get paid, which means they don't spend money, which means we end up losing revenue in the long run (and there's no guarantee, unlike the last time this happened, that they'll be paid retroactively). How could anyone possibly think the amount of money we're about to lose is a good thing for this state as a whole?

Old 10-01-2013, 11:55 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
If you do not know anything about it, and clearly you don't, how can you say it doesn't affect you? It will hit you in the wallet.

Read. Process the info. Then post.
Pretty bad assumption on your part. It would be asinine to think defaulting, which is on the 17th I believe, is a good thing. This is how big wars are started. We all know this. If it lasts for a week or two and a budget is passed, obamacare is nuked, great. If it gets any closer to the 17th and nothing happens, I would most likely take vacation outside of the city in-case of a default. It's too bad republicans are so pro-war, that it couldn't slash the military budget in half. One could only dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
The amount of tourism money we're going to lose if this drags on (an estimated 18,000 people visit the Grand Canyon each day in the month of October) is going to be significant. The feds get the entrance fee, but Arizona reaps the benefits of other sources of tourist revenue. Does anyone else remember what happened the last time tourism in this state took a hit (while acknowledging there was a myriad of other problems/catastrophic events occurring at the same time)? It was only 5 years ago, and this state hasn't done a whole lot in that amount of time to diversify its economy. We're still as dependent on tourism and home construction as we've ever been.
If people want to go visit the grand canyon, go to the tribal side. The grand canyon isn't limited to one entry point.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:59 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa
It is going to hurt Phoenix if it goes on because of complications in home lending. That is a big part of our economy.
Yes it will hurt everyone if it goes on!!!! (More and more things will be stopped)

The people who dont care because "IT DOESNT AFFECT THEM" are the biggest ignorant fools out there!

Old 10-02-2013, 12:04 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes it will hurt everyone if it goes on!!!! (More and more things will be stopped)

The people who dont care because "IT DOESNT AFFECT THEM" are the biggest ignorant fools out there!
If we are so ignorant, explain. You anti-shutdown folks are quick to call names but never give any examples. Freeway system closing? Cops and police officers federally funded? How about ambulances? Grocery stores staying closed? What about water, sewer, electricity? Will teachers not get paid?

Well terminals are staying open and receiving freight, trucking companies are still processing them, companies are still selling goods. The fed is NOT apart of the government. So... where will the economy stop as apart of this shutdown? The forex market isn't drastically changing, the stock market dropped a little.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:37 AM

428 posts, read 5,884,358 times
The shutdown won't affect me because I am not in hospitality or real estate- two of the big industries that will feel it. Corrupt government spending and Obamacare have more of a detrimental affect to my wealth than our economy of selling homes and tourism. But don't worry, we all know the shutdown is temporary. So since the FHA won't be able to process those 3.5% down payment mortgages that are being sold to people that shouldn't be in the market anyways, your real estate boom will only have to wait a few weeks till it goes back to booming again.

Last edited by vince3vince; 10-02-2013 at 12:52 AM..

Old 10-02-2013, 01:11 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince3vince View Post
The shutdown won't affect me because I am not in hospitality or real estate- two of the big industries that will feel it. Corrupt government spending and Obamacare have more of a detrimental affect to my wealth than our economy of selling homes and tourism. But don't worry, we all know the shutdown is temporary. So since the FHA won't be able to process those 3.5% down payment mortgages that are being sold to people that shouldn't be in the market anyways, your real estate boom will only have to wait a few weeks till it goes back to booming again.

it is, and has been affecting Phoenix for most of the past year. Defense contractors in the valley havent been running at full speed because of the sequester & the endless "temporary" budget fixes. Many of the jobs we arent getting are with subcontractors, and they seem at first blush to be unrelated. those subcontractors all pump money into our economy & if you think that doesnt affect you, you are delusional. with active wars on two fronts, Phoenix should be at 95%+ employment.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:13 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaan View Post
This won't affect any border staff will it? I need to cross at Algodones on Thursday.
border patrol is at full strength.. one of the few agencies still running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area