Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:22 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times

Advertisements

Used to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 02:32 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
The thing with most of those is that they are US-famous sports which is what I think he is getting at. I mean sure the Super Bowl is known world wide, but it's no where near as big in the rest of the world as it is here. World-famous events I would image are things like soccer (would Phoenix get matches if the World Cup was held in the US for example?), F1/IndyCar races, and Olympic events.
The superbowl is absolutely a global event - even if it isn't as large as it is domestically

Cricket is a huge global sport, but not something you'll see in Phoenix - or most other nations

If the other events are a barometer, then many cities are going to fall well short

The last time the US hosted the World Cup was in 1994 - obviously Phoenix looks much different now than it did then

When the US bid for the 2022 World Cup, Phoenix was one of 18 host cities in that bid package .... FIFA instead chose to put the tournament in Qatar - which is enough to show exactly how much "sophisitication" an area needs to have to host such an international event

A pair of Nascar races trumps any IndyCar presence - a circuit so selective in the "sophisitication" of their race locations that they run in Alabama, Iowa, St. Pete, Pocono/Long Pond, etc .... sure it's open wheel, but not exactly a power circuit

F1 has more prestige, but not a huge domestic following and not many tracks - they had one active circuit in the US last year and that was in Austin - their first go at it .......... However, Phoenix did have a 3 year stint as the host of this race back in the early 90s .... the circuit ran between the 7s, along with between adams & jackson ........... so maybe Phoenix became less "sophisticated" in the past 20 years - or the US just isn't a strong market for F1 racing as a whole

Phoenix would be a poor Olympics host - not because the city couldn't handle the event .... it absolutely could ... but because it's somewhat isolated, has no real ability to host any winter events and would be brutally hot for a summer olympics

The Phoenix metro definitely hosts it's share of massive sporting events as well as a good run of sports all year .... I'd like to see a major Tennis tournament eventually and that's really the only thing lacking from the local scene that has any relevence in the US - for now though I'll just have to live with the exhibition of has beens and the possibility of a 3 hour drive over to Indian Wells

Old 10-21-2013, 03:08 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I'd like to see a major Tennis tournament eventually and that's really the only thing lacking from the local scene that has any relevence in the US - for now though I'll just have to live with the exhibition of has beens and the possibility of a 3 hour drive over to Indian Wells
Again on the "Used to have" list...the Tennis Channel Open was held at the Scottsdale Princess 1986-2005. Before it moved to Las Vegas.

The Scottsdale Arabian Horse Show is a "World Event" as well...Westworld in Februaries along with a Polo match.

Funny you mention Cricket...we were driving by a park over on Alma School and Germann and there was quite a large crowd of men playing Cricket. Obviously not a "World Event" but more of a gathering of enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:14 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Yeah ... you can play rugby, etc here as well

Good info on the Tennis event ..... of that I did not know, which is disapointing since I was here for a few of those years and I enjoy tennis

I have been to professional beach volleyball here though - those competitors are international, although not exactly the top rated thing out there (was fun though, even if very warm)

The Arabian Horse Show is definitely huge and one I forgot to mention .... I was out of state recently on business and one of our prospective business partners comes down each year for it and owns a number of Arabian Horses

Also a huge location for collector car shows that draw many people from out of state

Old 10-23-2013, 08:07 PM

140 posts, read 259,257 times
Why does Phoenix have to be hustle-bustle, dense, and "sophisticated" like every other city in America of its size. Phoenix should be appreciated for what it has to offer that those other cities don't. Nice hikes & mountains, where in/around NYC can you do that in?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:53 AM

687 posts, read 4,404,356 times
I love Phoenix! As a 14 year residence of filthy nasty Las Vegas, I would love to live in your so called, as the OP put it, boring city!

I have been to Phoenix three times now in as many years and I really enjoyed it, nice freeways, semi normal drivers, not a ton of sirens, at least not that I heard.

I have a love for theatre pipe organs and Organ stop pizza in Mesa is the only one I know of in a several hundred mile radius, hence my reason for coming down there once a year. If my wife and I didnt own a business here in Vegas, we would be outta here in a second!

Old 10-26-2013, 09:28 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
I love Phoenix! As a 14 year residence of filthy nasty Las Vegas, I would love to live in your so called, as the OP put it, boring city!

I have been to Phoenix three times now in as many years and I really enjoyed it, nice freeways, semi normal drivers, not a ton of sirens, at least not that I heard.

I have a love for theatre pipe organs and Organ stop pizza in Mesa is the only one I know of in a several hundred mile radius, hence my reason for coming down there once a year. If my wife and I didnt own a business here in Vegas, we would be outta here in a second!
tiger08, I think there are several other theater pipe organs in varying states of repair in Phoenix: one at the Orpheum Theater (which is really beautiful inside) and which gets played occasionally (they are doing a concert with it November 17 at 2:00 pm: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aweso...55146444577133 and one at Phoenix College, as well as several residential organs: ATOS4

Old 11-04-2013, 03:36 PM

800 posts, read 1,910,168 times
"Most of the attractions are geared for Retired or older people!!"

Well, then it's pretty convenient, then, that most of the people who visit us fall under that category. We may not be so lucky to get their visits if we lived in a cold, hustle-and-bustle urban jungle that caters to families & college students on summer/spring break.

We are so lucky to have the weather in Arizona, where we can spend time outdoors year round. The City of Phoenix probably has more acres of parks, preserves (one of which is the largest municipal park in the world), and public lands than any other city/metro area in North America. That is something we can really be proud of and show off. And in the summer, cooler weather and a whole different environment is just an hour or two drive away.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:30 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter015 View Post
TootsieWootsie, the difference is you are Retired, I am not!! Phoenix is a good place to spend the reclining years but there are many of us living here who are still rather young and active, already have Significant Others, and simply desire Phoenix to live up to its high Population rank!!

I don't understand why many of you people want Phoenix to be slow-moving, Hick town, and all!! Why don't you people just move to a true small Desert town that would suit your wants better??!! Why do you have to live in the sixth largest city??!! There's still plenty of room in Parker and Quartzsite!! I just don't get the logic, or lack there of!!
Because we were here first.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 PM

62 posts, read 171,904 times
The reason people visit/ live in Phoenix is because of the spectacular scenery and amazing outdoor activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area