U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 04:32 PM

641 posts, read 1,504,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam85226 View Post
Is this him , I was not sure since you said he was in mesa ? He is right on the border may be that is why ??
Simpson George A Dr Dmd
3008 North Dobson Road
Chandler, AZ 85224
Phone: (480) 345-0505
Yes! Sorry about that , it is rite on the border. Hes a great dentist. We even make the trip from Casa Grande to see him. When you have a good one, dont let them go, lol

Ama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 02:54 AM

190 posts, read 376,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHawkeye View Post
In response to cxray:
2. Research suggests that there are links between perio disease and heart disease. You can research more on this on the American Academy of Periodontology site or the ADA. Studies have shown the plaque that hardens in the arteries is similar to the plaques/calculus that build up on the surfaces of the teeth. This bacteria travels through the blood stream. Periodontal bacteria have been found in the plaque deposits that narrow coronary arteries. I never stated that heart disease causes perio disease or vice versa. I simply was saying they can be related. The main commonality is the inflammation. There is also association of perio disease to diabetes, low birth weight babies or premature babies and osteoporosis.
Stating that periodontal disease is "related' to heart disease is very confusing to the public and more or less conveys it causes heart disease regardless if that was your intention. That's an irresponsible statement because the American Heart Association and the American Academy of Cardiology has never stated that mild to moderate periodontal disease such as gingivitis is a major risk factor for heart disease. In addition, similarities of substances found in oral plaque and atherosclerotic plaque in no way shows any direct relationship with how periodontal disease leads to atherosclerosis. I'm not suprised why the ADA and the American Periodontology Association would love to associate periodontal disease with heart disease. If more patients are scared into thinking their mild gingivitis might one day cause them to have a myocardial infarction, they would pursue treatments like deep cleanings. Research studies vary considerably. I know it's a popular buzz term that organizations use to fool the public into thinking a drug or procedure is more valid because there are "studies" to support it. You have to examine who conducted the studies, what type of experiment was conducted, how long was the experiment conducted, what was the sample size, how reputable was the source it was published in. All of this varies considerably. For example, drug companies will often sponsor studies to yield the results they seek. Some studies contain more bias than others which can cause the experimenter to manipulate results however consciously or unconsciously to yield results they seek. There is certainly no question that periodontal disease is related to some types of heart disease such as SBE as mentioned earlier but heart disease is a generalized term. Are you talking about coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease, valvular disease..which is it? Also, what degree of periodontal disease are we talking about? Yeah, if a patient presents with blatantly bleeding gums with abscess all over his mouth and a family history of valvular deformities then yes, he stands a considerable risk of having periodontal disease potentially lead to SBE. But just saying that periodontal disease is related to heart disease is the similar to saying that anxiety contributes to heart disease. I don't doubt that you have your patients' best interests at heart but I don't think you are fully informed either. Regarding research, there are so many journals and studies that will publish anything that I only examine the most selective and reputable medical journals like the New England Journal of Medicine.

Last edited by azriverfan; 04-15-2008 at 03:48 AM..

Old 04-15-2008, 09:40 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,241,341 times
I just had a cleaning (and then a filling ) at Arrowhead Lakes Dentistry in Glendale. It seemed like a modern, clean office. They have these flat screen TVs that they shove in your face--but I am not a TV fan and I shut mine off. The dental assistant seemed offended that I did not ask permission. I would say the cleaning was very well done, very thorough, and the filling went fine.

They recommended that I start coming every 4 months for a cleaning. When I mentioned that this costs money they did not really have an answer. I had a dentist once before who felt I should get 3 cleanings a year and I would say he was really prospering; he moved into a new gleaming facility and was clearly doing very well. Dentists have to make a living, but my health insurance doesn't currently cover dentistry and I don't have the income to pay for the luxury of extra cleanings, though it's probably a good idea. Heck, I'd go once a month if I knew it would save my teeth 20 years from now.

Dentists are different from physicians, I suspect, because their income is so tightly linked to voluntary procedures like cleaning, whitening, polishing, etc. Probably the closest parallel would be cosmetic surgeons. But it's as if everyone has to see a cosmetic surgeon twice a year for a basic necessity, and while they are there, the surgeon tries to persuade them to buy extra services like a better nose or a re-formed ear or something. Seems like a conflict of interest. I want a dentist who doesn't want to see my face more than once or twice a year

Old 04-15-2008, 12:45 PM

220 posts, read 534,533 times
Dr Gabrielson. Was my childhood Dentist and rediscovered him about a year ago. Honest, thorough, patient & pain-free. Scottsdale Airpark 480-998-0551 In fact, I'm seeing him tomorrow am.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:56 PM

430 posts, read 946,723 times
Default sad really

we have had some fun shareing our dental horror storys, but really, this is a sad suituation that people are afraid to go to yet another dentist. A lot of people are phobic and nervous about a dental visit anyway, add the pressure factor and lack of trust with what you really need in a care plan to what you just might be getting soaked for is just rediculous for a patient coming into a health facility for care should be dealing with. Dentist need to understand (a lot) of people now have no dental insurance and are self pay. I am pefectly willing to come in routinely and pay for my routine care, I have tried to develope a patient relationship several times, but, just have not found a Dentist that will allow me to just come in for routine care without the hard sells. Be honest and people will keep coming back. Thats my advice for any Dentists that just might read these boards.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:12 AM

477 posts, read 1,062,816 times
Dr. Moore at Happy Valley Dentistry is great! I take good care of my teeth, and once was a dental assistant. I too had a Dentist, a few years ago, tell me he wouldn't do a cleaning without doing deep pocket treatments and he could only do 2 quadrants at a time. I then took my kids there and after them sitting in the chairs for over an hour without anyone coming in. I literally ripped them out of the chair and told that office how terrible they were. I have told several people about how bad they are and I'd like to tell all of you....can I get in trouble for that???

Old 04-19-2008, 08:47 AM

109 posts, read 10,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxray View Post
I've had a lot of bad luck with dentists in the valley. I had a great dentist who left the valley to pursue a further education. I haven't found a great dentist since. I take care of my teeth and Ive never had a cavity or any gingival problem.s However when I saw another dentist, he claimed I had 8 cavities. Another dentist claimed I needed a deep cleaning and that I had deep pockets despite the previous two dentists saying I had no deep pockets and that my gums were fine.

It seems like a lot of the dentists in the valley are all about money and encourage procedures when none are needed. A lot of them have glamorous offices with elaborate fish tanks that cost in the thousands. It seems like a racket much like going to a shady auto mechanic.

Do any of you know a dentist who is honest and isn't one of those who demands that you have work done or whitening. I'm sick of the salesy and dishonest dentists here.
mines very honest. he's a nice mormon guy named eric neilson and he's on ellsworth and guadalupe in east mesa

Old 04-20-2008, 02:34 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,579,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
They recommended that I start coming every 4 months for a cleaning. When I mentioned that this costs money they did not really have an answer. I had a dentist once before who felt I should get 3 cleanings a year and I would say he was really prospering; he moved into a new gleaming facility and was clearly doing very well. Dentists have to make a living, but my health insurance doesn't currently cover dentistry and I don't have the income to pay for the luxury of extra cleanings, though it's probably a good idea. Heck, I'd go once a month if I knew it would save my teeth 20 years from now.

Dentists are different from physicians, I suspect, because their income is so tightly linked to voluntary procedures like cleaning, whitening, polishing, etc. Probably the closest parallel would be cosmetic surgeons. But it's as if everyone has to see a cosmetic surgeon twice a year for a basic necessity, and while they are there, the surgeon tries to persuade them to buy extra services like a better nose or a re-formed ear or something. Seems like a conflict of interest. I want a dentist who doesn't want to see my face more than once or twice a year
Most if not all Dental Insurance plans only cover a person for one cleaning a year (having shopped around for one, I found this out). I too have been told by my new Dentist that I should come in every four months, which means if I do that, then two cleanings/exams come out of my pocket. I remember as a kid (not that long ago!) to not have to go more than once a year for a cleaning. When did this all change?

I too don't want to have to visit my dentist more than once or twice a year, unless it's an emergency!

Old 04-20-2008, 02:36 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,579,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieb75 View Post
Dr. Moore at Happy Valley Dentistry is great! I take good care of my teeth, and once was a dental assistant. I too had a Dentist, a few years ago, tell me he wouldn't do a cleaning without doing deep pocket treatments and he could only do 2 quadrants at a time. I then took my kids there and after them sitting in the chairs for over an hour without anyone coming in. I literally ripped them out of the chair and told that office how terrible they were. I have told several people about how bad they are and I'd like to tell all of you....can I get in trouble for that???
It probably would be better if you let people Direct Message you for the information, just in case.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:59 PM

4,248 posts, read 6,631,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxray View Post
I've had a lot of bad luck with dentists in the valley. I had a great dentist who left the valley to pursue a further education. I haven't found a great dentist since. I take care of my teeth and Ive never had a cavity or any gingival problem.s However when I saw another dentist, he claimed I had 8 cavities. Another dentist claimed I needed a deep cleaning and that I had deep pockets despite the previous two dentists saying I had no deep pockets and that my gums were fine.

It seems like a lot of the dentists in the valley are all about money and encourage procedures when none are needed. A lot of them have glamorous offices with elaborate fish tanks that cost in the thousands. It seems like a racket much like going to a shady auto mechanic.

Do any of you know a dentist who is honest and isn't one of those who demands that you have work done or whitening. I'm sick of the salesy and dishonest dentists here.
Well, I recently had a dental emergency while eating a taco. My tooth just split. I don't have a regular dentist here, so I called a friend who told me to call Western Dental (this is not a plug, just what happened). They got me in an hour later and provided me with a temporary fix. Then they were able to get me in two days later for the major part of the work. They are no frills but got the job done. They even will finance 75% of the work and bill over a period of at least a year with no interest.

In my former life, I had a dentist in the heart of San Francisco with a beautiful office and great view. She was very good an no complaints, but I and my insurance company were probably paying for that great view.

But this WD place got the job done and provided a discount, so I was pleased. Nothing salesy about this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area