Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 06:28 PM

106 posts, read 222,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoAZ View Post
Honestly though, I keep looking for great communities in Phoenix proper - we have a couple months before we move and I am definitely open to other options!
Might I suggest North Phoenix. There's not too much there (compared to some other areas in the valley further south of North Phoenix), but it is still a nice part of Phoenix. It is cheaper than Scottsdale and a little bit closer to things than Anthem is. Nice homes too. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 09:24 PM

58 posts, read 129,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
CAtoAZ, I remember your other posts. I agree that Scottsdale will be more expensive, and the commute will probably not make your husband a happy camper.

I'm still trying to figure out why you didn't look at the Arrowhead and Deer Valley areas. Now that you've essentially decided you dislike Anthem, it would seem to me that you would be even more anxious to look at good, viable alternatives.
We looked in Arrowhead Ranch; I'm using 85308 - is that the right area? We tried to find "Moon Valley" and "Deer Valley" with Zillow app but found only run down neighborhoods [I'm sure this is user error]; is there a certain zip for Deer Valley that includes nicer areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtrails View Post
Maybe Arrowhead or around Union Hills and 7th Ave?
Another vote for Arrowhead, and thanks very much for the Union Hills and 7th Ave location; I'm finding lots of nice looking 80s homes and even a few workable townhomes there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyoverther View Post
Might I suggest North Phoenix. :
Thanks for the idea. Is there a specific area in north Phoenix you like?

Old 11-02-2013, 10:06 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
OP have you tried the zip code areas 85083 or 85086. Both are No. Phoenix areas. These are well kept up communities with plenty of shopping and amenities nearby.
85083 is in the Happy Valley/I-17 area and a great community, also near where your husband would be working with ez access to the freeway.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP have you tried the zip code areas 85083 or 85086. Both are No. Phoenix areas. These are well kept up communities with plenty of shopping and amenities nearby.
85083 is in the Happy Valley/I-17 area and a great community, also near where your husband would be working with ez access to the freeway.
Fantastic; will check those out. Thank you.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:11 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
There are tons of these master planned communities, minus the scorpions and rattlesnakes. A lot of people never see a scorpion. They only live in certain areas for some reason, they are slow. Ask neighbors, and a local pest control guy. They will let you know what you're dealing with as far as pests go.

Contact a realtor or google valley area rentals. Most of them have a pool, community center and if they don't the city pools are pretty awesome with slides and waterfalls. Your kids won't be disappointed. We are suburban heaven, just like a mini Cali.
And if you are, not much would fix it. I'd just recommend heading to another state, maybe New Mexico.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
There are tons of these master planned communities, minus the scorpions and rattlesnakes. A lot of people never see a scorpion. They only live in certain areas for some reason, they are slow. Ask neighbors, and a local pest control guy. They will let you know what you're dealing with as far as pests go.

Contact a realtor or google valley area rentals. Most of them have a pool, community center and if they don't the city pools are pretty awesome with slides and waterfalls. Your kids won't be disappointed. We are suburban heaven, just like a mini Cali.
And if you are, not much would fix it. I'd just recommend heading to another state, maybe New Mexico.
Is Valley Area Rentals a site? I can't find it; please link if you have it, thanks. Of course there's always a choice, but in our case the choice is transfer to Phoenix with a great job, or stay in CA and try to find one. I'm sure we will love Phoenix, and it's just a day's drive away from the people and activities we love in CA, so not a bad switch at all.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:21 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
We are suburban heaven, just like a mini Cali.

How unfortunate, eh?

Old 11-03-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
How unfortunate, eh?

Well, since I lived in CA for a while and liked it as well it's not that unfortunate for me. But, if you hate CA suburbs then you might not like it here as much.

I love it actually, but, I travel a lot and love to come home to a mini community. I think of these communities like small towns. They all have neighborhoods with shopping, and some local shops. I don't think of it as that different.

I think if someone is bored here then they'd be bored anywhere. (Unless of course they were avid skiers) Our weather is great 9 months out of the year, we can hike, bike, climb, and swim just about everywhere. Within a couple of hours by plane or car are mountain towns, beaches, and L.A., and Las Vegas. I've gone shopping in San Diego for a day from here without much of a problem. I've done an overnight in Las Vegas with friends without an issue.

Now if you are poor it sucks here, but if you are poor it sucks everywhere. Been there, done that. For a middle income family though, there is plenty to do. Get outside and play some ball, go to one of the many festivals we have or hike, camp, etc. Go on vaca once or twice a year. Life is pretty good. Sometimes I think we don't have enough struggles here, and get spoiled into boredom. Then we start looking around to find something to justify it when we should just get off the couch.

Maybe we could use a good "Noreaster" lol

Last edited by PoppySead; 11-03-2013 at 06:20 PM..

Old 11-03-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoAZ View Post
Is Valley Area Rentals a site? I can't find it; please link if you have it, thanks. Of course there's always a choice, but in our case the choice is transfer to Phoenix with a great job, or stay in CA and try to find one. I'm sure we will love Phoenix, and it's just a day's drive away from the people and activities we love in CA, so not a bad switch at all.
7 Phoenix area communities make the top 50 best-selling master-planned communities in the United States in 2012
http://www.phoenixarizonarealestateh...d-communities/
Phoenix Arizona Waterfront Homes» Phoenix Area Master Planned Lake Communities

Just google it. Master plan communities in Phoenix, North, South, East, West Valley's, then google the name and reviews. You can get their location and shop around. Or, get on some rental sites and search those communities for rentals in those areas. You can also look in the local online paper.
Arizona Republic News - Phoenix Arizona Newspaper - AZ Republic Online - azcentral.com

Old 11-04-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
7 Phoenix area communities make the top 50 best-selling master-planned communities in the United States in 2012
http://www.phoenixarizonarealestateh...d-communities/
Phoenix Arizona Waterfront Homes» Phoenix Area Master Planned Lake Communities

Just google it. Master plan communities in Phoenix, North, South, East, West Valley's, then google the name and reviews. You can get their location and shop around. Or, get on some rental sites and search those communities for rentals in those areas. You can also look in the local online paper.
Arizona Republic News - Phoenix Arizona Newspaper - AZ Republic Online - azcentral.com
Thanks very much for the links!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area