U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 09:24 AM

58 posts, read 98,859 times

Advertisements

"Fun" is I am sure not the technical term - maybe "Progressive"?

We do a hybrid of homeschool and charter school for my elementary school kids in CA; moving to Phoenix soon. Forgive the details but I hope to trigger a memory of a program your friend's friend's kid is involved in.

At the charter school in CA they take Art (and Art History), Science (experiments and physics based), History (fun history topics like Wonders of the World; or biographies of famous artists, inventors, etc.), PE, Gardening, Drama, and Music. The teachers are either certified or experts/professionals in the subjects they teach.

Through the charter school we can get for home use any curricula imaginable - including teaching manuals, texts, workbooks, materials (microscopes, tools), unit kits... - all free. Parents have teacher privileges at the county educational library.

It's an ideal environment for any kid: fresh air, they rarely sit at desks, they don't "line up", the teachers practice Positive Discipline and are like surrogate aunts and uncles, and many of the classes are all ages (K-6); all classes have teenagers as helpers/mentors. All ages play together during breaks and lunches.

On the surface I have learned that in AZ you're either in the system (public/private ed) or you're out (homeschool).

But I know that in the huge city of Phoenix there has to be something like what we have in CA!

I would be thrilled to find an elementary school that offers project based learning or STEM, but my main need is a school or program that lets kids be kids and isn't trying to turn elementary kids into college students via studying and homework. I would even put the kids in a full time school program if I knew they'd be having fun while learning a lot as they do now.

Any school or program name or location would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 11:35 AM

3,391 posts, read 5,718,851 times
Isn't this just another version of your "no homework" thread? Charter schools without homework?

Old 11-02-2013, 11:41 AM

681 posts, read 1,245,913 times
Just curious... but if you "home school" wouldn't all school work be "homework"?

Old 11-02-2013, 12:03 PM

2,747 posts, read 6,179,956 times
Remember the principal at one of my kid's charter schools making an off the cuff comment that if you wanted your kid to be challenged keep them at that school. If you want your kid attend someplace more relaxed and not so challenging the Montessori charter school was down the street.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Isn't this just another version of your "no homework" thread? Charter schools without homework?
Yes, but as that one went off the deep end I'm trying to get some real info here - not a debate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Remember the principal at one of my kid's charter schools making an off the cuff comment that if you wanted your kid to be challenged keep them at that school. If you want your kid attend someplace more relaxed and not so challenging the Montessori charter school was down the street.
Thanks very much for the lead; I'll call the Montessori school.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:59 PM

3,391 posts, read 5,718,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoAZ View Post
Yes, but as that one went off the deep end I'm trying to get some real info here - not a debate.

Well, this is a forum and not a blog, so a debate is actually the nature of the beast. If you don't want to hear opposing views, then a forum is not the place for you.

Surprised you haven't already just gone with Montessori. I don't know how "fun" it is, but it's certainly less structured.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:40 AM

719 posts, read 730,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I'm not at all trying to disagree or anything but I found your comment interesting and was hoping you could explain a little more about exactly what you mean by that?
Quote:
...Surprised you haven't already just gone with Montessori. I don't know how "fun" it is, but it's certainly less structured.
My kid goes to Faith North Montessori, so I can attest to the fact that it is a very "fun" school from my viewpoint. My kid is only in Kindergarten though, so I would assume that most all schools are "fun" (or should be) for that age group. Faith North Montessori continues through 7th (I believe) grade, so I will be interested to see how the program continues as my son grows older.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoAZ View Post
Like I said, my son is in Kindergarten (They actually call it their "Primary Program") so we have about 2 years of experience with Faith North Montessori. Based on my own personal experience with the school, I have nothing but good things to them. My son likes his teacher, there is excellent parent-teacher involvement, I see him making excellent academic strides, etc... All in all it has been a great experience for our family so far. I would really recommend you checking out the school, and realize that we are very fortunate to have access to a free Montessori program. To my understanding, the majority of Montessori programs nationwide are private schools and a lot of them charge big bucks!

Here's their website: Faith North School
Or: 602-257-3914

Feel free to post back or DM me if you have more specific questions regarding Faith North Montessori.

EDIT for more Info:
1) Although they have the name "Faith North Montessori", it is in no way a religious based school.
2) Regarding "No Homework": I think they may not use the term "homework", but the teacher will send home little booklets with letters and stuff for parents to go over with kids at home. My kids teacher is also strongly recommending that we read to our son and move your finger over the words as you read to him to help him learn to read. So I don't know if this technically constitutes "homework" or not, but IMO it does not seem to be either too imposing or too lackadaisical for a 4 year old "Primary Program" student.

Last edited by WSPHXPELON; 11-03-2013 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: Added more info

Old 11-03-2013, 05:53 AM

2,747 posts, read 6,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
I'm not at all trying to disagree or anything but I found your comment interesting and was hoping you could explain a little more about exactly what you mean by that?
The comment was made when the principal was trying to explain to new parents that because their school was a public charter school they had to take anyone who applied to get in. The principal wanted to make sure the parents knew what they had signed up for, so a month down the road the principal was not getting phone calls complaining about what the kids were studying or the workload. Was trying to be upfront and say if you want structure and rigorous classes this was the place, if you want someplace more relaxed there is probably time to still enroll your kid down the street.

That's what is great about charter schools, you can pick what you think is best for your kid. Options are a good thing.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:01 AM

3,015 posts, read 4,294,336 times
My son is in Eduprize, a charter school in Gilbert AZ. He is in the TOPS program. In that program, they don't have lunch or recess so they day starts at 7:20 and ends at 12:25pm He has comes home and works on homework for 1 to 2 hours a day. Its not what you describe, but at least you will get to spend more time with him/her.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Well, this is a forum and not a blog, so a debate is actually the nature of the beast. If you don't want to hear opposing views, then a forum is not the place for you.

Surprised you haven't already just gone with Montessori. I don't know how "fun" it is, but it's certainly less structured.
In that case I am more than happy to argue about the education system. Really, though, I doubt anyone here cares about my opinion, or yours. I'm on here to learn the ins and outs of Phoenix life from Phoenix veterans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post

My kid goes to Faith North Montessori, so I can attest to the fact that it is a very "fun" school from my viewpoint. My kid is only in Kindergarten though, so I would assume that most all schools are "fun" (or should be) for that age group. Faith North Montessori continues through 7th (I believe) grade, so I will be interested to see how the program continues as my son grows older.

Like I said, my son is in Kindergarten (They actually call it their "Primary Program") so we have about 2 years of experience with Faith North Montessori. Based on my own personal experience with the school, I have nothing but good things to them. My son likes his teacher, there is excellent parent-teacher involvement, I see him making excellent academic strides, etc... All in all it has been a great experience for our family so far. I would really recommend you checking out the school, and realize that we are very fortunate to have access to a free Montessori program. To my understanding, the majority of Montessori programs nationwide are private schools and a lot of them charge big bucks!

Here's their website: Faith North School
Or: 602-257-3914

Feel free to post back or DM me if you have more specific questions regarding Faith North Montessori.

EDIT for more Info:
1) Although they have the name "Faith North Montessori", it is in no way a religious based school.
2) Regarding "No Homework": I think they may not use the term "homework", but the teacher will send home little booklets with letters and stuff for parents to go over with kids at home. My kids teacher is also strongly recommending that we read to our son and move your finger over the words as you read to him to help him learn to read. So I don't know if this technically constitutes "homework" or not, but IMO it does not seem to be either too imposing or too lackadaisical for a 4 year old "Primary Program" student.
Thanks for the details! I like that it goes through 7th so my son doesn't age out of the program too quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
My son is in Eduprize, a charter school in Gilbert AZ. He is in the TOPS program. In that program, they don't have lunch or recess so they day starts at 7:20 and ends at 12:25pm He has comes home and works on homework for 1 to 2 hours a day. Its not what you describe, but at least you will get to spend more time with him/her.
Thank you! Do kids test in to TOPS? I love Eduprize already based on the fact that they built "differentiated learning" right into their mission statement. For contrast, two Great Hearts schools (Glendale and Anthem) have insisted to me that no differentiation is needed or possible at Great Hearts since their program is so "rigorous". I don't consider teaching math and English right at grade level rigorous. I need to concentrate on checking out houses in the Camelback area; I believe that would be between Deer Valley and Gilbert. Do you have to be a resident of Gilbert to go to Eduprize?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or