Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:06 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,710,734 times

Advertisements

This often puzzled me, that people in Phoenix don't repair their shoes much.

When I originally was asking friends where to get rubber taps for my shoes years ago, I drew blanks all around. And when I walked randomly into one place, I was stunned at how much he had the audacity to charge. I recently stopped into a newly opened place, willing to give him a shot, but was again stunned that he initially wanted to charge me $14 (dropped to $12) for sewing two half-inch seams on a purse. So I went to my regular place, where he charged me $7. But I noticed that he suddenly was having more customers, whereas the place used to be empty. Maybe it's a new trend? Maybe a result of the recession?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 04:09 PM

550 posts, read 1,126,649 times
Well let's see. How many times do you bring shoes to be repaired ? And what did it cost to repair them ? How much was the price you paid for the brand new shoes ? Be realistic. Do you think a shoe repair shop can survive today when brand new shoes cost less or half than a repair ? You lucky if you find a shop who will repair them. This is not new. I have been confronted with this for the last 15 years if not more. It's not only a Phoenix problem. It was a Houston problem when I lived there. But there I knew a shoe repair shop. Here in Phoenix I don't know one. Why didn't you go to your regular place where they charged you 7 $ ? Did you think this was too much ? With flip flops being the norm for many people, shoe repair stores cannot make it anymore in hot climates. Maybe the Houston store still could make it because some people still were wearing boots. Western boots are not cheap and it makes sense to have them repaired.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:19 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
Well let's see. How many times do you bring shoes to be repaired ? And what did it cost to repair them ? How much was the price you paid for the brand new shoes ? Be realistic. Do you think a shoe repair shop can survive today when brand new shoes cost less or half than a repair ? You lucky if you find a shop who will repair them. This is not new. I have been confronted with this for the last 15 years if not more. It's not only a Phoenix problem. It was a Houston problem when I lived there. But there I knew a shoe repair shop. Here in Phoenix I don't know one. Why didn't you go to your regular place where they charged you 7 $ ? Did you think this was too much ? With flip flops being the norm for many people, shoe repair stores cannot make it anymore in hot climates. Maybe the Houston store still could make it because some people still were wearing boots. Western boots are not cheap and it makes sense to have them repaired.
I googled it and there are shoe repair shops all over the city. Probably could get a custom made pair there, too. Some people don't buy at Payless and maybe their shoes are worth a new sole.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:09 PM

550 posts, read 1,126,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I googled it and there are shoe repair shops all over the city. Probably could get a custom made pair there, too. Some people don't buy at Payless and maybe their shoes are worth a new sole.
Oh good. I like that. I don't buy my shoes at Payless. But when I like a shoe and cannot find the same kind to replace it, I will have it repaired no matter what I paid for it new. But that's me. A lot of people today just throw them away when the sole is worn out.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:18 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,077 times
There are quite a few shoe repair shops in Phoenix. When I need a bag restitched, my wife needs new taps on her heels, or we need a new half sole on a shoe we go to the shoe repair shop.

I have never bought shoes at Payless, only wear flip flops in the shower at the gym, and find that even quality brand shoes and bags need repairing from time to time.

I do agree that people have gotten sloppier and more laid back in their appearances, particularly in the west, and that people who live in more professional and cosmopolitan areas such as the East Coast, dress to impress more, and thus may wear more dressy clothing that needs extra upkeep.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:24 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,710,734 times
Interest point, Jane, about hotter climates. I did, in fact, end up going to my regular place - and he ended up with a terrific solution that hadn't occurred to me. Which is why I was happy that for the first time, I was seeing other customers there besides me.

Right, there are repair shops all over. It's just that when I asked acquaintances, I was drawing blanks. Maybe most people think of everything as disposable?

Old 11-09-2013, 03:55 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
That's the problem, we are in a waste based society.
Children learn from their parents to change by throwing things away and going for the latest and greatest.
I was not raised that way.
My dad was a dumpster diver trash picker , even the neighbors would give us their castoffs .
I am still getting rid of stuff my dad collected it's taking years to sort through it all.
I repaired my own shoes from time to time, but lately because of injuries, I have gone to wearing tennies.
I inherited a set of shoe lasts, but I need a stitcher for leather . I'd like to modify the boots I have some day .
I haven't seen a shoe repairman any where around here, so I know I'm on my own.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:21 PM

494 posts, read 501,535 times
I believe Nordstrom's offers a shoe repair service (at least the did in San Diego). Better mens shoes (e.g., Allen-Edmonds) could be sent back to the factory for "recrafting" or they would send them to a local shop for those who were short on time.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i go to walmart and buy a 4 dollar tube of shoe goo, works great.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:09 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Interesting question / thread, Voebe . . .

Since most of the time I wear either flip-flops, sandals or "sneakers" which usually cost somewhere in the $30 range and rarely more than $50 . . . wouldn't paying $15 or more to repair them be kinda foolish?

Just for kicks . . . I even found some old Nikes and Reeboks in my closet that I paid a whopping $5 a pair for in Seoul, Korea a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area