U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 09:50 AM

2,849 posts, read 4,119,138 times

Advertisements

The Republic published some interesting statistics today. Shows the percentage of students who attended public high schools that ended up graduating from 4 year institutions, along with their ranking among the 400 schools listed. This is one more piece of data to consider when assessing how good a school is. I know that people tend to focus on elementary schools, but this is good data that should be looked at as well.

The highest large public high schools (Phoenix area) in the list are Chaparral (Scottsdale USD, 4th at 55.2%) and Desert Mountain (Scottsdale USD, 6th at 53.6%). Highest local charters are Tempe Preparatory Academy (2nd at 71.1%) and Arizona School For The Arts (7th at 52.9%).

People are quick to point out how good the schools are in certain areas but is a bit surprising to see some of the results. Queen Creek is 168th at 9.1% while Central (Phoenix Union HSD) is 129th at 12.8%, for example. I would not have guessed that. When looking at rankings note that numbers 287-400 are 0%.

One issue with the stats is that it looks at 2005-6 graduates to give enough time to see if people finished college. If a school has improved over the last few years the statistics would not reflect that.

College graduation rates for Arizona high schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 01:37 PM

1,988 posts, read 3,801,429 times
Very interesting article. I was somewhat disappointed to see the numbers so low (less than 50% statewide). It just shows that not enough emphasis is placed on preparing our students for college. Many school districts have began programs in recent years to help students get prepared for life after high school. Hopefully, those numbers will come up in a few years.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:37 AM

5,222 posts, read 6,479,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Very interesting article. I was somewhat disappointed to see the numbers so low (less than 50% statewide). It just shows that not enough emphasis is placed on preparing our students for college. Many school districts have began programs in recent years to help students get prepared for life after high school. Hopefully, those numbers will come up in a few years.
IMHO, it's the parents job to emphasis the importance of college. Not to simply attend college but to excel in the classroom. As in kick butt in school. Make home work a priority while in grade school and build their self-esteem so they have the confidence to continue to srive to do their very best. Therefore expect a very high correlation to kids attending college where their parents also attended college and that were heavily involved in K through 12. All things being equal, those are the kids that are best prepared. To simply attend and finish college in 2013 isn't really an accomplishment. About 1/2 come out in debt and under employed.

That said, there are a lot of students that attend college who are wasting their time. They don't work hard or are not smart enough. So college isn't for everyone and should not be viewed as simply a piece of paper. Many students will do much better developing their skills in the trades.

But I do think the graduation rate is smart to look at as you are picking your kids future friends. It has a lot less reflection on the quality of the schools (a huge misnomer) and more to do with the quality of your neighbors. Putting it another way, highly rated schools have a concentration of more educated parents. Their is normally a path for the motivated families to get a top notch education (so long as the school isn't dragged down by the majority of the students coasting and causing problems) in an "average" district.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:33 PM

269 posts, read 388,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
IMHO, it's the parents job to emphasis the importance of college. Not to simply attend college but to excel in the classroom. As in kick butt in school. Make home work a priority while in grade school and build their self-esteem so they have the confidence to continue to srive to do their very best. Therefore expect a very high correlation to kids attending college where their parents also attended college and that were heavily involved in K through 12. All things being equal, those are the kids that are best prepared. To simply attend and finish college in 2013 isn't really an accomplishment. About 1/2 come out in debt and under employed.

That said, there are a lot of students that attend college who are wasting their time. They don't work hard or are not smart enough. So college isn't for everyone and should not be viewed as simply a piece of paper. Many students will do much better developing their skills in the trades.

But I do think the graduation rate is smart to look at as you are picking your kids future friends. It has a lot less reflection on the quality of the schools (a huge misnomer) and more to do with the quality of your neighbors. Putting it another way, highly rated schools have a concentration of more educated parents. Their is normally a path for the motivated families to get a top notch education (so long as the school isn't dragged down by the majority of the students coasting and causing problems) in an "average" district.
Wow.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:54 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,368,307 times
You will find a direct correlation between parent involvement and expectations and success in high school and beyond. This is not surprising and I doubt much different than in many other states.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:23 AM

701 posts, read 890,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
That made me curious to see how Arizona as a state compares:

New State-by-State College Attainment Numbers Show Progress Toward 2020 Goal | U.S. Department of Education

Old 11-16-2013, 12:35 PM

802 posts, read 2,013,433 times
Our high school is ranked #70 and the graduated from 4year post-secondary institution is 21.1%. I would have guessed the percentage was much higher as I don't personally know anyone that doesn't go to college from this school. Guess it simply demonstrates that I know few people

Old 11-16-2013, 12:58 PM

469 posts, read 878,227 times
Nogales is ranked higher than Moon Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or