Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 10:19 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times

Advertisements

This would not be my first choice for an area in which to rent, no matter where I worked. However, if you don't have children, you can probably find something safe near the gentrified areas. As others have said, renting is different than investing your life savings in a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 11:03 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
I live near there and grew up in the area and I know what the area is like. Working there and living there are 2 different things. You miss the drivebys, gangs, drug dealing on the corner, and the violence that comes along with it.
Yes I know. You're very vocal about this in every single South Phoenix thread. I agree living here and working here are two different things. If you re-read my post you'll see that I do both. I live in the heart of South Phoenix (not Tempe like you do) and work only a couple miles away near where OP's work will be. I've been here for almost ten years now and have never once experienced anything negative like you are always talking about. Does it happen? Sure it does. It happens all over the valley, but if you live a clean life and don't associate with gang members or criminals the chances of becoming a victim are next to none.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:33 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Yes I know. You're very vocal about this in every single South Phoenix thread. I agree living here and working here are two different things. If you re-read my post you'll see that I do both. I live in the heart of South Phoenix (not Tempe like you do) and work only a couple miles away near where OP's work will be. I've been here for almost ten years now and have never once experienced anything negative like you are always talking about. Does it happen? Sure it does. It happens all over the valley, but if you live a clean life and don't associate with gang members or criminals the chances of becoming a victim are next to none.
Heart of South Phoenix what are the cross streets?

Old 11-14-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Heart of South Phoenix what are the cross streets?
16th Street and Baseline. It doesn't get much more centrally located in South Phoenix than where I'm at.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:31 PM

594 posts, read 698,933 times
Default You don't need validation from people like this.

Quote:
16th Street and Baseline. It doesn't get much more centrally located in South Phoenix than where I'm at.
Just another negative nellie.

I want you to start noticing something....usually ( not always ) its always the NATIVES who complain about...the heat...sides of town....nothing to do....too many people....so called congested freeways...snowbirds....sprawl....downtown...etc etc etc.

To the OP...I have lived here for 14 years, I am from San Diego, I have lived and worked in L.A, New York, Washington D.C., Chicago , Atlanta and Columbus Oh... in other words I know bad areas, and along with everybody who has lived or seen bad areas ( mostly everyone here is transplants ) SOUTH PHOENIX is NOT a bad area.

If your trade is..." people smuggling , dope pushing gangbanging etc " then you might run into some resistance on the South side, North side, East side and West side.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:38 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post

I want you to start noticing something....usually ( not always ) its always the NATIVES who complain about...the heat...sides of town....nothing to do....too many people....so called congested freeways...snowbirds....sprawl....downtown...etc etc etc.

To the OP...I have lived here for 14 years, I am from San Diego, I have lived and worked in L.A, New York, Washington D.C., Chicago , Atlanta and Columbus Oh... in other words I know bad areas, and along with everybody who has lived or seen bad areas ( mostly everyone here is transplants ) SOUTH PHOENIX is NOT a bad area.

If your trade is..." people smuggling , dope pushing gangbanging etc " then you might run into some resistance on the South side, North side, East side and West side.
Good points. I was raised in a rough part of Los Angeles. I know what ghettos are, I know bad neighborhoods. I have often said, NOTHING in Phoenix comes close to bad areas in other cities. Now, of course, people with children have other concerns than those without. And even if I know it's not dangerous, I might choose to avoid the uglier areas of the city. But nothing in Phoenix is comparable to truly bad areas in other parts of the country.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
16th St /Baseline lol so you live in one of the new gated developements Now 16th St/Roeser or Broadway that's another world, and is way different then living in the Townhouses(Cotton Center)

Old 11-14-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post

You it's always some snowbird or someone who lives in Scottsdale that's have no idea their only argument is it's not as bad as where came from. Yet you didn't go to the ghettos there either you still live in your sheltered suburbia. When those LA gangs branched off their first stop was South Phoenix. If you want to steer people to South Phoenix go ahead but it is irresponsible because they have no idea what they are getting into.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
When those LA gangs branched off their first stop was South Phoenix
Actually I bet their first stop was around Blythe to refuel and get snacks.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:02 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,340 times
Quote:
16th St /Baseline lol so you live in one of the new gated developements Now 16th St/Roeser or Broadway that's another world, and is way different then living in the Townhouses(Cotton Center)
It's crazy how much of a difference 1 mile makes. 16th&Baseline is ok but 16th St&Southern where the Safeway shopping center is is ghetto.....ugh I hate that Safeway folks beggin constantly and baby mamas cussin at their kids......NO THANK YOU! And yes those town houses on 48st&Broadway are a no go lol I see all kind of interesting characters just driving by there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area