Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 03:17 PM

16 posts, read 49,486 times

Advertisements

I am sure this has been asked a million times before but still have a few questions.

Our background: We have never lived anywhere else except our small Western Washington town (Population under 20,000...think vampires/Twilight). We have to relocate to Phoenix due to my husbands job in Scottsdale.

1. Is there a way to search what schools offer for activities? Example: our schools offer music programs and competitive sports (specifically swim...I have a daughter that swims 5 days a week).

2. It has been said to live by your job. We can't afford Scottsdale. I have looked on Trulia/Zillow/Craigslist/etc,. (any suggestions on where to look for rentals?) We are waiting for our house to sell, so we will have to rent a 4 bedroom and want to pay 1300 a month. Surprise is over an hour commute, which is where we started to look originally. Right now, we both drive forty minutes to work and would like to live in that range. Is Chandler/Gilbert/Queen Creek feasible for commute time?

The husband is going down January to start work. We will be following after I give him a list of places to look/see, etc,. We have five kids (13, 13, 10, 8, and 1), so schools are important, but we will miss our small town. Is there such a thing without such a long commute? We were really blind sided by this move. I'm hoping for the best. I am so excited to shop. All we really have is a Wal Mart. lol This might not be a cost effective move afterall.

Thank you for your thoughts/input.

Last edited by Hopeish; 11-30-2013 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 03:42 PM

675 posts, read 1,414,815 times
I would rule out both Surprise & Queen Creek.. but depending on where in Scottsdale the job is, you could be looking at anywhere from Glendale to Mesa/Gilbert/Chandler/Tempe...

Old 11-30-2013, 03:45 PM

229 posts, read 232,486 times
Gold Canyon is a nice area,but its further out there from Phoenix.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:50 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times
Your housing will really depend on where your husband's job is.

If you've seen maps of Scottsdale, there is easily 25 miles between "south" Scottsdale and "north" Scottsdale. I put the geographies in quotation marks as it's still one city. (Unlike Las Vegas and North Las Vegas).

If he's working towards the north you might find rentals in the north Phoenix area. If he's towards the south end of Scottsdale, then you'll easily find rentals in Tempe or Chandler.

$1300 per month is reasonable for Tempe, Chandler or Gilbert.

The Phoenix metro area has well over 4 million people, so you won't get the small town feeling without a very, very long commute.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:58 PM

550 posts, read 1,126,865 times
If you are used to shop only at Walmart, this is going to be a life changing event. For living close to the job, it depends where in Scottsdale the job is. Glendale is nice and could be 30 minutes from Scottsdale. One thing you can forget is the small town feeling. Personally I would have a hard time moving to a place who has only a Walmart. Lol, I had a hard time adjusting to the supermarket choices here in Phoenix compared to Houston. Still miss my Houston stores. But you adjust.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:47 PM

16 posts, read 49,486 times
Thank you for your input. The husband will be in South Scottsdale. Home is where the heart is. We will make the best of what we have. We are very grateful to have a job. I bartend part time (I do have my teaching degree) at night so I know I can find a job pretty easily. We were just more worried about our kids. As with everyone else, we just want this to be an easy transition for them. Big city life will be quite a change. We are just trying to find some similar activities etc. for them.

We make it to Seattle a few times a year (we are three hours west). Hopefully we can find a good school and make the adjustment to a big town easily.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:31 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeish View Post
Thank you for your input. The husband will be in South Scottsdale. Home is where the heart is. We will make the best of what we have. We are very grateful to have a job. I bartend part time (I do have my teaching degree) at night so I know I can find a job pretty easily. We were just more worried about our kids. As with everyone else, we just want this to be an easy transition for them. Big city life will be quite a change. We are just trying to find some similar activities etc. for them.

We make it to Seattle a few times a year (we are three hours west). Hopefully we can find a good school and make the adjustment to a big town easily.

Well, there are homes in the southern part of Scottsdale (below Osborn Road, say) that would be well within your price range. They are older homes, yes. Tempe is a good option as well, with good schools and a good parks, rec and library department for the kids. You don't have to go all the way out to Gilbert; parts of Chandler would not be too far. Both of those are large suburbs by area, so it depends on where you are in those cities how short the commute would be. You will not find a true small town feel in this very large metro area, unless you go much further out than you would want to go for commuting purposes. And, even then, it's not going to feel like a small Pacific Northwest town.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:25 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,995 times
Once you focus on an area, you can get tons of information about the schools at the Arizona Department of Education website. Another popular site to check out schools is GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

This will be quite a move with 5 kids. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area