Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 01:12 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times

Advertisements

Who's putting up lights and what kind are you guys doing?

In the past I've put up the hanging string icicle clear lights but I've always liked the look of the single bulb clear lights when they are perfectly straight along the roof line so I'm thinking of doing that.
Christmaslightsetc.com has a Cyber Monday 25% off sale until noon EST, anyone have experience with them? Also, what's the best way to get the lights up perfectly straight...those tile roof plastic clips?

Example of perfectly straight...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 01:51 AM

890 posts, read 2,278,599 times
I would think you'd have to use clips and place one next to every bulb so nothing sags. When people light their roof line by just stringing the lights over nails every foot and it's not perfectly straight I get so annoyed. It looks like crap. Why even bother?

Old 12-02-2013, 08:50 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
I have been using the C9 colored lights for as long as I can remember. I used a staple gun until this year and switched to plastic clips. Every other bulb keeps them straight.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:18 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
We have cool white LED icicle lights along the front roofline, and incandescent white net lights on two bushes in our front yard. For icicle lights I much prefer the cool white LEDs over the warm white, since the cool white looks more "icy". On the other hand, warm white is more appropriate for a Christmas tree or other plants.

Unfortunately, the cool white sets are becoming hard to find, as most people prefer warm white for all applications, including icicle lights. Warm white icicle lights don't look icy at all.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:22 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
I took a quick walk through the neighborhood last night and wow, people have already gone all out! I saw a couple houses that would give the Griswolds a run for their money. I need to slap some up this week.

I like the look of all clear lights. I guess the warm white as opposed to the white, white lights as Pink Jazz mentioned. I think it looks terrible when people mix clear lights with multi-colored ones. I never understood why people did that. I guess it looks pretty nice in the OP though.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:26 PM

428 posts, read 5,884,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I took a quick walk through the neighborhood last night and wow, people have already gone all out! I saw a couple houses that would give the Griswolds a run for their money. I need to slap some up this week.

I like the look of all clear lights. I guess the warm white as opposed to the white, white lights as Pink Jazz mentioned. I think it looks terrible when people mix clear lights with multi-colored ones. I never understood why people did that. I guess it looks pretty nice in the OP though.
I don't see that many lights in my neighborhood yet and there was only a few tricker treaters on Halloween .

Old 12-02-2013, 02:39 PM

768 posts, read 1,758,833 times
In our neighborhood, the lights are secondary to watching the neighbors putting them up.

Now that's ENTERTAINMENT!

Old 12-02-2013, 02:49 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,591,427 times
We have blue LED icicle lights on the house and white nets over the bushes. This year, because we are having a big family wedding in less than 2 weeks, we went all out. Hubby brought the antique John Deere tractor and put in the front yard. A lighted snoopy is on an antique wood sled flying off the roof and looks like it's sledding behind the tractor that a blow up Santa is driving. Of course the tractor has been covered in lights too.

HOA gave me some trouble at first until I assured them this would just be a holiday decoration, not a permanent thing. We've had a ton of people stop by and admire the tractor and quite a few kids who want to ride with Santa too. It's been fun

Old 12-02-2013, 05:00 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
For a Christmas tree (or anything indoors) or for net lights for bushes, I would prefer a warm white. However, for outdoor icicle lights I prefer cool white since it looks more icy. After all, since when are icicles yellow?

Old 12-02-2013, 05:04 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
After all, since when are icicles yellow?
Do you really want to know?!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area