Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:50 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times

Advertisements

If anyone remembers, I did a poll in the Arizona forum asking which area code will be the next to be split. Most users (including me) said 520. For a geographic split, that would probably the most likely with the Tucson (and possibly Nogales) areas keeping 520 and the rest of the area getting the new area code.

However, should the need arise for a new area code in the Phoenix area, I was thinking it would be more likely in the form of an overlay rather than another geographic split. In fact, I read that back in 1999, the original plan for the Phoenix area was to overlay all of 602 with 480, however, there was a lot of opposition due to requiring 10-digit dialing for all local calls, so instead the area was split three ways into 480, 602, and 623. However, with the dominance of cell phones nowadays, many people now do 10-digit dialing for all calls.

In addition, the overlay does not have to be over a single area code, and can be placed over all three Phoenix area codes; such an overlay plan is known as a multiple-area distributed overlay. One major example is area code 872 in Chicago, which covers both the areas in the 312 and 773 area codes. Something similar can perhaps be done in the Phoenix area, rather than confining the overlay to a single area code region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 04:42 PM

570 posts, read 1,001,507 times
The last area code split in the US was in 2007, when 575 was split from 505 in New Mexico. Every new area code since then has been an overlay.

As far as overlays in Arizona, I wouldn't be surprised if the current area codes were all overlaid in the distantffuture. A potential new area code in the Phoenix area would most likely cover all of the current 602, 480 and 623 territory.

In the Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston areas, there are now 3 area codes all overlaid together. Houston is supposed to get a 4th area code in 2014.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post
The last area code split in the US was in 2007, when 575 was split from 505 in New Mexico. Every new area code since then has been an overlay.

As far as overlays in Arizona, I wouldn't be surprised if the current area codes were all overlaid in the distantffuture. A potential new area code in the Phoenix area would most likely cover all of the current 602, 480 and 623 territory.

In the Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston areas, there are now 3 area codes all overlaid together. Houston is supposed to get a 4th area code in 2014.
I see your point, however, 520 and 928 cover rather large geographic areas (especially 928) where I think a split would be more appropriate in their cases. IMO overlays tend to make more sense in urban areas where additional splits would create area codes that would cover too small of a geographic area.

For 520, should a split occur, I'd expect the Tucson area and possibly the Nogales area to stay in 520 while the rest of the area gets a new code.

928 is a bit more complicated; one way to split could have northeastern and north-central Arizona keeping 928 (including the Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott, and Show Low areas), with western Arizona (including the Kingman, Bullhead, Lake Havasu, and Yuma areas) getting a new area code. Alternatively, western Arizona plus the Flagstaff, Sedona, and Prescott areas could keep 928, while northeastern Arizona gets a new area code.

IMO overlays tend to make more sense in urban areas where additional splits would create area codes that would cover too small of a geographic area.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:18 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
Gotta say who really cares this really isn't that important if we get an area code so be it doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:15 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
We don't really pay attention to area codes anymore since most people just put a number in their cell directory and forget about it. I was shocked the other day when my friend said he had a 323. I remember in High School when your area code determined if you were a cool urban kid or a lame suburban kid. I actually went all the way downtown to get my first cell phone so I could have a 713 (the cool area code in Houston). There was even a Seinfeld about it when Elaine got a new weird area code and guys wouldn't date her. Seems like it's not a big deal anymore. But I'll keep my 310 (coastal Los Angeles) and feel happy about it.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:33 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I see your point, however, 520 and 928 cover rather large geographic areas (especially 928) where I think a split would be more appropriate in their cases. IMO overlays tend to make more sense in urban areas where additional splits would create area codes that would cover too small of a geographic area.

For 520, should a split occur, I'd expect the Tucson area and possibly the Nogales area to stay in 520 while the rest of the area gets a new code.

928 is a bit more complicated; one way to split could have northeastern and north-central Arizona keeping 928 (including the Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott, and Show Low areas), with western Arizona (including the Kingman, Bullhead, Lake Havasu, and Yuma areas) getting a new area code. Alternatively, western Arizona plus the Flagstaff, Sedona, and Prescott areas could keep 928, while northeastern Arizona gets a new area code.

IMO overlays tend to make more sense in urban areas where additional splits would create area codes that would cover too small of a geographic area.
Agreed about 928 being split since like you said; it covers a LOT of land.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
We don't really pay attention to area codes anymore since most people just put a number in their cell directory and forget about it. I was shocked the other day when my friend said he had a 323. I remember in High School when your area code determined if you were a cool urban kid or a lame suburban kid. I actually went all the way downtown to get my first cell phone so I could have a 713 (the cool area code in Houston). There was even a Seinfeld about it when Elaine got a new weird area code and guys wouldn't date her. Seems like it's not a big deal anymore. But I'll keep my 310 (coastal Los Angeles) and feel happy about it.
I have actually heard some stories about the area codes here in the Valley that 480 is considered the most desirable of the three due to it being Scottsdale's area code. Here is an article about it here:
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/art...20157e372.html

Old 12-03-2013, 08:24 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
480 4 eva!!!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:28 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post

As a former AT&T employee, I know AT&T argued that the incumbent area codes, which are the original area codes with a zero or a one in the middle should remain land line only area codes, with cell phones acquiring their own specific area codes. NYC was the only area where this was successful with the 917 area code, but this was only because NYC was a bit ahead of its time with mobile phones before anyone else had them in any great numbers. What is amazing is that all five boroughs of NYC had 212 area code at one time. 718 was given to Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island in 1984. Eventually, Bronx had to surrender the 212 to Manhattan, and today, perhaps for sentimental reasons, many Manhattanites make an effort to keep the incumbent 212, and become a bit upset when they are advised they will be issued a number with the overlay area code of 646 for any new service.

As far as splitting area codes, this is also a thing of the past. Every area code will be an overlay regardless. Originally, the larger urban area would also keep the incumbent area code, such as Phoenix keeping the original area code for all of AZ of 602. While the Phoenix metro area is very large geographically, as it grew in population with more phones, the 602 area would continue to split and shrink to the point where only the central part of Phoenix would keep the 602.

One of the most dramatic splits in the nation would be that of Los Angeles; 213 once included all of the entire LA metro area along with Orange County. LA splits actually began back in the 1950's.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post

As far as splitting area codes, this is also a thing of the past. Every area code will be an overlay regardless. Originally, the larger urban area would also keep the incumbent area code, such as Phoenix keeping the original area code for all of AZ of 602. While the Phoenix metro area is very large geographically, as it grew in population with more phones, the 602 area would continue to split and shrink to the point where only the central part of Phoenix would keep the 602.
I disagree. 505 was split since it covered the entire state of New Mexico, and thus it made more sense to spit rather than overlay over the entire state due to New Mexico's large geographic size. I don't expect 505 will be the last to split; most of the area codes that are nearing exhaustion in recent years are in major urban areas where splits would create area codes that are too small in geographic area, which is why all new area codes created ever since have been overlays. By the time 520 and 928 near exhaustion, I expect they will be geographically split, especially 928. 520 may possibly get an overlay, but I still expect that it will be split with the Tucson and possibly Nogales areas keeping 520 and the rest of the area being assigned a new code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area