Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times

Advertisements

Here we go again: one extreme to the other. A hot, hellish summer followed by an early cold snap. Tell me again please why so many people love Phoenix for the climate! Well actually, we usually do have nice spring & fall seasons ... but both excessive heat and cold are murder on vegetation. My Hibiscus bushes fell victim to last January's freeze (even after I covered them). I replaced them in the spring, and lost one of them (again) after this last June's massive heat wave. I'm about ready to give up gardening in Phoenix. Right now, Honolulu sounds pretty damn nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 08:42 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Elevation makes a difference, and I'm sure Phoenix's stated 1100 feet altitude is not even all across the Valley, and even a few hundred feet rise in altitude can make a difference during one of these cold spells.

Curiously, what area of Phoenix would be most susceptible to frost damage, and what areas least susceptible?

Old 12-05-2013, 09:49 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Elevation makes a difference, and I'm sure Phoenix's stated 1100 feet altitude is not even all across the Valley, and even a few hundred feet rise in altitude can make a difference during one of these cold spells.

Curiously, what area of Phoenix would be most susceptible to frost damage, and what areas least susceptible?
Most susceptible: Wickenberg, Carefree, Cave Creek, San Tan Valley, Queen Creek, South Chandler, south and east Gilbert, and southeast and east Mesa, North Scottsdale.

Least susceptible: Downtown Phoenix and Downtown Tempe.

It's partially about elevation here, but it is also about the heat island. Outlying agricultural areas of the Southeast Valley and the higher elevations in the Northeast Valley tend to get the coldest in the metro area.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:56 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Most susceptible: Wickenberg, Carefree, Cave Creek, San Tan Valley, Queen Creek, South Chandler, south and east Gilbert, and southeast and east Mesa, North Scottsdale.

Least susceptible: Downtown Phoenix and Downtown Tempe.

It's partially about elevation here, but it is also about the heat island. Outlying agricultural areas of the Southeast Valley and the higher elevations in the Northeast Valley tend to get the coldest in the metro area.
Good post ! Basically inside the Loop 202 in the East Valley is very built up so the heat island keeps nights some 5 plus degrees warmer than the areas outside of Loop 202. While elevation plays a role, I believe the heat island is more important for summer and winter nights. Buckeye is downstream and only 900 feet above sea level. Yet, nights are often quite a few degrees cooler than Sky Harbor at 1100 feet including this week where it was 30 this AM there while 35 where I am in Tempe.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:08 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Here we go again: one extreme to the other. A hot, hellish summer followed by an early cold snap. Tell me again please why so many people love Phoenix for the climate! Well actually, we usually do have nice spring & fall seasons ... but both excessive heat and cold are murder on vegetation. My Hibiscus bushes fell victim to last January's freeze (even after I covered them). I replaced them in the spring, and lost one of them (again) after this last June's massive heat wave. I'm about ready to give up gardening in Phoenix. Right now, Honolulu sounds pretty damn nice!
Spent all but the last 2 years in NY so this is childs play for me personally. However, I agree that year around temps in Phoenix are way more extreme than areas in the Southeast. Anyone who suggests that they can swim comfortably between Thanksgiving and St Patty's day is lying. I could personally do it ,albeit uncomfortably, but that is what San Diego is for. If I want 60 air and 60 water temps, I want WAVES !!! I hate the snow which played a role in my desire to transfer my employment here along with favorable taxes compared to NY. There is no utopia for weather. 85 and sunny year around may get redundant after awhile for many in Honolulu. Even San Diego people complain about the pesky marine layer for half the year making it too chilly for a normal person to take advantage of the Pacific. There are better overall climates than PHX including SD but not many. Of the major cities, I'd argue LA, SD, El Paso,Tucson and ABQ are the only 5 major cities that I feel have more enjoyable year around temps without extreme heat,humidity or cold.

BTW. I'll never forget last February. That was SNOW in Scottsdale, not graupel. That slush I drove through on Loop 101 near Indian Bend was SNOW. Chamber of Commerce will never admit that it snowed so weathercasters (not real meteorologists) like Dave Munsey kept spewing graupel.

Last edited by magnum0417; 12-06-2013 at 04:18 PM..

Old 12-07-2013, 03:21 AM

106 posts, read 246,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

This implies that winters in Phoenix are actually that cold. Sure, nights are chilly, and I'm a SoCal native, so I'm also pretty wimpy when it comes to cold weather. But this NOTHING compared to what 80% of the U.S. calls winter. In fact, most major cities call this weather summer!

Old 12-07-2013, 08:42 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctacity View Post
In fact, most major cities call this weather summer!
I wouldn't go that far. This would be March weather for many major cities with continental climates (NY, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, etc).

Old 12-07-2013, 11:21 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctacity View Post
This implies that winters in Phoenix are actually that cold. Sure, nights are chilly, and I'm a SoCal native, so I'm also pretty wimpy when it comes to cold weather. But this NOTHING compared to what 80% of the U.S. calls winter. In fact, most major cities call this weather summer!
Well, that's neither here nor there since this is the Phoenix AZ forum. We're discussing the relative cold locally.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
One thing that Phoenix is blessed with, which lessens the cold/windchill, is their envious yearly average windspeeds.

One winter, when it was unusually windy up here in Las Vegas, I did a research on wind. I discovered Phoenix and L.A. share the lowest average windspeeds in the country, speaking of major cities, with only 6.2MPH. Compare that to Las Vegas at 9.3MPH and Cheyenne, WY at 13.2MPH.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:30 AM

129 posts, read 187,084 times
Unhappy Hoping for a miracle.....

We just bought a house in Sun City. We can't make it down from MN, until Dec 30th, for closing on 31st. Our house has desert landscape with a wonderful 7' orange tree, that was loaded with nearly ripe oranges. When we signed the purchase agreement, we took 2 oranges with us back and they were real sweet! Now my husband & I are hoping that the oranges survive the cold snap. Otherwise, we'll have to wait till next December, to taste our fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area