Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 02:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,407 times

Advertisements

Originally I'm from Phoenix. I relocated to Oklahoma twelve years ago with my parents. My whole family lives in Arizona still.
My grandparents recently moved houses in Arizona, but they kept their old house.
They offered it to me yesterday. It has three bedrooms, two baths. They said I could have my dog there, all I'd have to pay for is utilities and food. I could go to a community college the first year and then once I get residency I could transfer to a bigger state school.
My boyfriend's family lives there as well, so he could move there in May when his lease is up.
I've never been away from him or my parents longer than two weeks, except when I went to Uganda over the summer.
I need ideas as to whether or not I should do it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 02:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
AZ versus OK seems like a no-brainer to me. OK is one of the last places I'd ever want to live. I've driven through Tulsa several times and well, yikes. Throw in a free house and it sounds like you'd be crazy not to take them up on their generous offer. Where is the house? Will you be near the schools that you'd be interested in attending?

Old 12-04-2013, 02:15 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
other than your parents, do you have strong attachments/entanglements in OK?....does the BF want to move to AZ?....will your parents be angry if you leave?.....do you need/want to find a job out here?....do you have a reliable car?....will your grandparents set other conditions once you move in?....will you get homesick for OK?....do you have a cushion of cash to carry you over during and after the move until you get settled?....will utilities be in your name?....

lots to consider.....sounds like a great deal if all the details are worked out....ready to move out on your own???

Old 12-04-2013, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,407 times
Their house is about 30 minutes away from ASU, it's a little north of Phoenix. If I were to only take classes two or three days a week, it would not be bad at all. And yes, I agree Oklahoma is one of the last places I would want to live.

I have absolutely zero attachments in Oklahoma except for my boyfriend. He said he would love to live in Phoenix, but he's wanting to go into the oil field here. My parents do not agree with me moving, they think I should go to school, but they don't seem to understand that I plan to go to school in Arizona. I would need to find a job out here, but my grandmother substitutes in schools, so she said she might be able to find me a job at one of those. My car is currently very reliable, I have yet to have any problems with it. As far as I know, my grandparents aren't planning to set any conditions. I don't think I would miss Oklahoma, just my friends and parents. I work on the weekends when I'm not in school, so I don't have thaaat much cash, but I know people would help me if I really needed some. I'm not sure whether or not the utilities would be in my name. I don't necessarily know if I'm ready to move out on my own, but I know I need to. Even if I transferred back to the university close to where my parents live, they would make me get my own apartment. So I couldn't live back at home no matter what.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:11 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,519,900 times
do it! you'll still be close to family, you'll still attend classes. you gotta live your life how YOU want to live it, not how your parents want you to live it.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:03 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
Be aware that nonresidents pay $322 per credit hour at Maricopa County Community Colleges. That's roughly 4 times what residents pay. $4830 a semester for a full load of 15 credit hours, just a little more than what a resident pays for a full load at ASU.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:54 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
I grew up in Okla. City, and I spent 3 years in Phoenix. Both places are great in their own way (sorry, OK haters). Keep in mind that the job market's much better in Oklahoma, mainly thanks to oil and gas. Unemployment in Okla. is around 5.5%, top 12 states for jobs, while Arizona's is more like 8.5%, one of the bottom 10 states. Doubtless, Arizona's economy will pick up, though, and if you're going to be in school for a while, even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area