Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:00 PM

421 posts, read 1,072,784 times

Advertisements

I have a separate office in my home with a separate Air conditioning system.. this is the first time i am replacing the filter and I am little confused by looking at how this system works... can you check attached pic and help me out...thanks..in this pic.. i have the AC housing open and I removed the old filter and put a new one (green)...if i close this housing then what is they greying cloth/sponge like stuff hanging... this will be on top of the filter, correct ? so why do i need the filter here..??
Attached Thumbnails
Help me understand this air conditioning system-photo-42-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 08:50 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
Um that grey thing shouldn't be there from what I know, usually you can see right into the duct if the filter is off.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Um that grey thing shouldn't be there from what I know, usually you can see right into the duct if the filter is off.
Thats what I am confused, If I remove the grey thing... then I don't see a duct ..i see a big machine.. so from where the air is going into the system?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:57 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
OP...Some questions: did you have the unit installed, do you know who installed it, is there an instruction manual for it, who is responsible for the unit if it goes on the fritz.
What model/manufacturer is the unit. How long have you had it.
There should be no obstructions behind the filter like you describe.
These are all questions to possibly help you.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP...Some questions: did you have the unit installed, do you know who installed it, is there an instruction manual for it, who is responsible for the unit if it goes on the fritz.
What model/manufacturer is the unit. How long have you had it.
There should be no obstructions behind the filter like you describe.
These are all questions to possibly help you.
This was installed by original owner, my house is 10 year old... so I dont have any manual etc....i can check the model/manufatcurer etc

Old 12-10-2013, 03:13 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
the gray foam stuff looks like some sort of filter - but it would be worthless for filtering if it is as "floppy" as it looks..

I'm wondering if that was some sort of DIY "pre-filter" that somehow ended up on top of the normal filter?

In any case, you don't need that gray foam stuff.. it isn't doing anything but restricting airflow -

it's possible that it may have originally been a sound deadener, designed to reduce the noise when the airflow starts & the ducts bend?

On a 10 year old house, they weren't allowed to run wiring in the return ductwork - the install may be a hack job..

Old 12-10-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
the gray foam stuff looks like some sort of filter - but it would be worthless for filtering if it is as "floppy" as it looks..

I'm wondering if that was some sort of DIY "pre-filter" that somehow ended up on top of the normal filter?

In any case, you don't need that gray foam stuff.. it isn't doing anything but restricting airflow -

it's possible that it may have originally been a sound deadener, designed to reduce the noise when the airflow starts & the ducts bend?

On a 10 year old house, they weren't allowed to run wiring in the return ductwork - the install may be a hack job..
The install was done by the builder... and its a very reputable one... I will remove this foam, take a picture and post it here to understand the air flow...

Old 12-10-2013, 03:35 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_new View Post
The install was done by the builder... and its a very reputable one... I will remove this foam, take a picture and post it here to understand the air flow...
lol.. no such thing as a "reputable" builder in the HVAC trades..

they use whoever is cheapest..

but definitely post a pic without that foam.. - it's weird that it has oversprayed paint on it - looks like it was present when the house was built, possibly a filter to keep drywall dust out of the hvac system before the original owner moved in?

it's an interesting setup you have there.. never seen a filter-grill quite like that one with a blank panel on one side..

and those wires (cat 5? phone wiring?) definitely don't belong in your ducts - it's not a big deal if the owner does something like that, but it's an instant fail with a building inspector.. (fireproofing - any holes in the ducts to allow wiring to pass through can allow fire into the ducts & allow it to spread)..

fwiw, here's an electrical code training video that mentions this kind of wiring in ductwork -

http://youtu.be/hD-RdBAFbzg?t=2m15s

Last edited by Zippyman; 12-10-2013 at 04:15 PM..

Old 12-10-2013, 04:21 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:

And with most tract home builders, there is basically a duopoly for HVAC companies here: either Chas Roberts or Sonoran Air. Rarely do you see tract home builders around here use any other company but those two. Not sure if the OP's home is a tract home or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is, and if it is, the system was likely installed by either one of those two companies.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:43 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:

but definitely post a pic without that foam.. - it's weird that it has oversprayed paint on it - looks like it was present when the house was built, possibly a filter to keep drywall dust out of the hvac system before the original owner moved in?

it's an interesting setup you have there.. never seen a filter-grill quite like that one with a blank panel on one side..

and those wires (cat 5? phone wiring?) definitely don't belong in your ducts - it's not a big deal if the owner does something like that, but it's an instant fail with a building inspector.. (fireproofing - any holes in the ducts to allow wiring to pass through can allow fire into the ducts & allow it to spread)..

fwiw, here's an electrical code training video that mentions this kind of wiring in ductwork -

NEC 2008 Wiring in Plenums Spaces 300.22 - YouTube

Looks more like Romex to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area