U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 AM

3,499 posts, read 8,552,250 times

Advertisements

Very good news for the area. And no, people won't limit themselves to Glendale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 09:05 AM

233 posts, read 209,309 times
This is great news for the valley and some good pub for Glendale. The way they are pissing off the NFL about the Super Bowl in 2015, I doubt we'll see another one for a long time. So, getting this championship game is really a big boon for everyone here.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:53 AM

58 posts, read 89,350 times
When will people quit whining about the stadiums located in Glendale? They cost millions to build so I doubt they are going to move them to downtown Phoenix any time soon. The Super Bowl is in the Meadowlands in New Jersey this year. It is at least a 30 minute drive, if not more in traffic, from there to Central Park in Manhattan. Almost 50 minutes on public transportation. The BCS Championship is in the Rose Bowl. That is a 50 minute drive from Disneyland. Getting to the various attractions in the valley from Glendale is much, much easier than getting around the New York City or Los Angeles areas. I think people complain about the location too much rather than appreciate how great it is to watch games from both stadiums in Glendale.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:44 PM

667 posts, read 1,083,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfellas17 View Post
When will people quit whining about the stadiums located in Glendale? They cost millions to build so I doubt they are going to move them to downtown Phoenix any time soon. The Super Bowl is in the Meadowlands in New Jersey this year. It is at least a 30 minute drive, if not more in traffic, from there to Central Park in Manhattan. Almost 50 minutes on public transportation. The BCS Championship is in the Rose Bowl. That is a 50 minute drive from Disneyland. Getting to the various attractions in the valley from Glendale is much, much easier than getting around the New York City or Los Angeles areas. I think people complain about the location too much rather than appreciate how great it is to watch games from both stadiums in Glendale.
It's not about Glendale vs the meadowlands or the rosebowl in terms of the venue proximity to the respective downtowns. It's more about the Glendale location vs where else it might have been, ie, downtown or on the east side, both of which would have been far better locations in terms of being closer to lots of other things. And no, no one expects them to move them any time soon or ever. It is what it is. Doesn't mean people won't always complain about it though. Sometimes things deserve to be complained about.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:38 PM

310 posts, read 997,681 times
Not every city has their sports complex located in the heart of the city....take The Dallas Super Bowl for example.....the stadium is in Arlington....ESPN had their set up at the stock yards in Ft Worth, the big celebrity parties and such were held in Dallas....the whole surrounding area benefitted from the income of tourists.

I think it's good for all of Phoenix proper from Glendale to downtown to Scottsdale to Tempe areas. Not to mention that for Superbowl next year since its same weekend as the open...double whammy for tourist business. Not doubt, Glendale needs more things for tourists such as more shopping, nightlife, hotels in the surrounding areas.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:06 AM

594 posts, read 486,775 times
Default That was the last Superbowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAZ View Post
This is great news for the valley and some good pub for Glendale. The way they are pissing off the NFL about the Super Bowl in 2015, I doubt we'll see another one for a long time. So, getting this championship game is really a big boon for everyone here.
...that Glendale pissed off the NFL, that's the reason we missed out in 2011. Glendale straightened out their difference with the NFL and thus was rewarded with the Superbowl in 2015.

And FYI, the owners vote where they want the Superbowl, commissioner Goodale can have all the problems he wants with Glendale, its the owners who count. And apparently they love coming to Arizona.

Along with MLB owners, NHL owners and NBA owners. And a bunch of other well-heeled folk. I guess I'm not alone in loving to go to ..................WESTGATE.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:46 AM

233 posts, read 209,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
...that Glendale pissed off the NFL, that's the reason we missed out in 2011. Glendale straightened out their difference with the NFL and thus was rewarded with the Superbowl in 2015.

And FYI, the owners vote where they want the Superbowl, commissioner Goodale can have all the problems he wants with Glendale, its the owners who count. And apparently they love coming to Arizona.

Along with MLB owners, NHL owners and NBA owners. And a bunch of other well-heeled folk. I guess I'm not alone in loving to go to ..................WESTGATE.
I'm well aware how the Super Bowl bidding process works. You need to do some research from the last year and see how upset the NFL is with Glendale not allocating hotel rooms and not cooperating with event plans in the Westgate area for 2015. There's a reason that most, if not all, the pre-game festivities, like the NFL Experience are going to be staged in downtown Phoenix.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:53 PM

640 posts, read 687,363 times
With my son graduating this year and possibly moving to Chicago we are considering seasonally renting out our place in Glendale.

With the Championship game and the Super bowl in 2015 I'm being told we could potentially do well with renting out that period.....any thoughts on that....interested in experience from the last super bowl.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:59 PM

2,910 posts, read 4,355,264 times
I am a big downtown fan but I think that it would have been a bad idea to put the football stadium downtown. It uses up a lot of land, particularly with the rollout turf. People want parking lots for tailgating, etc., so using existing downtown parking would not have worked well. It doesn't get used enough to justify all of the land that it would have consumed. It is OK to have it on the edge of town, particularly since most of the games are in the middle of the day on Sunday. It's not unreasonable to drive a long way 8 times a year. The hockey arena is a different thought, though, and should have been downtown or in Tempe or south Scottsdale.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:29 AM

1,798 posts, read 2,299,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Glendale is hosting the SuperBowl in 2015 and was just awarded the 2016 National college football championship game. Good news for the valley. It seems we are getting some of our mojo back.
It's great news. And what makes it even sweeter is that Glendale beat out Tampa, FL (my place of origin) for the superbowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or