U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 02:38 PM

29,370 posts, read 39,828,212 times

Advertisements

Glendale is hosting the SuperBowl in 2015 and was just awarded the 2016 National college football championship game. Good news for the valley. It seems we are getting some of our mojo back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 02:42 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,654,048 times
That is good news.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:21 PM

17,647 posts, read 36,182,410 times
We have that "mojo" because of the Fiesta Bowl and the rotation that goes with the new playoff system. It will be fun, though!

Old 12-16-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
We have that "mojo" because of the Fiesta Bowl and the rotation that goes with the new playoff system. It will be fun, though!
No, there is no fixed rotation anymore. The big game goes out on a bidding process. I was afraid it would be in Texas every year. And, just a couple years ago the Fiesta Bowl was in danger of disappearing and now they are back on top. The weather and UOP probably has something to do with that, but plenty of credit goes to civic and business leaders for mopping up the damage of the scandal and all the bad press from SB1070.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No, there is no fixed rotation anymore. The big game goes out on a bidding process. I was afraid it would be in Texas every year. And, just a couple years ago the Fiesta Bowl was in danger of disappearing and now they are back on top. The weather and UOP probably has something to do with that, but plenty of credit goes to civic and business leaders for mopping up the damage of the scandal and all the bad press from SB1070.

You're right. The championship is a bid, while the preceding playoff games are in a rotation which includes the Fiesta Bowl. (I don't think the Fiesta Bowl was ever in real danger of disappearing, although its reputation certainly took a hit.) We've hosted the BCS Championship before, so that helped us in the bid, I'm sure. Good news all around.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...html#protected

Old 12-16-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You're right. The championship is a bid, while the preceding playoff games are in a rotation which includes the Fiesta Bowl. (I don't think the Fiesta Bowl was ever in real danger of disappearing, although its reputation certainly took a hit.) We've hosted the BCS Championship before, so that helped us in the bid, I'm sure. Good news all around.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...html#protected
I know that you remember back in 2005 when Phoenix was riding high. We were the fastest growing area, producing more jobs than anywhere else in the country. One had a little pride and little swagger when saying he came from Phoenix. Then it hit the fan. The recession came. We became the poster child of the housing collapse. SB1070 resulted in lost convention business and millions in tourist spending and the press made us look like a bunch of redneck bigots to much the world. We lost jobs and people along with it for the first time in many years. We couldn't sell or refi our houses. The guy who ran the Fiesta Bowl was tried, convicted and will be sentenced next month for crimes surrounding that endeavor. It was a very rough patch for this city. But we have seen the tide turn and these high profile games are an indication of that. These games are a feather in our cap and a tribute to our return to national prominence in a positive way. That is what I meant by getting our "mojo" back. It's about more than the games themselves.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I know that you remember back in 2005 when Phoenix was riding high. We were the fastest growing area, producing more jobs than anywhere else in the country. One had a little pride and little swagger when saying he came from Phoenix. Then it hit the fan. The recession came. We became the poster child of the housing collapse. SB1070 resulted in lost convention business and millions in tourist spending and the press made us look like a bunch of redneck bigots to much the world. We lost jobs and people along with it for the first time in many years. We couldn't sell or refi our houses. The guy who ran the Fiesta Bowl was tried, convicted and will be sentenced next month for crimes surrounding that endeavor. It was a very rough patch for this city. But we have seen the tide turn and these high profile games are an indication of that. These games are a feather in our cap and a tribute to our return to national prominence in a positive way. That is what I meant by getting our "mojo" back. It's about more than the games themselves.
I don't disagree with you that it's a very good thing for the city.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:46 PM

5,725 posts, read 8,782,812 times
Quote:
Glendale is hosting the SuperBowl in 2015 and was just awarded the 2016 National college football championship game. Good news for the valley. It seems we are getting some of our mojo back.
Good news about the Super Bowl and college championship bowl game, yes, but it's still a bad location. Sorry, but unless there is a huge building spree in the next year around Westgate, I won't feel very proud showcasing the UOP Stadium with these major sporting events against a backdrop of cotton fields and large swaths of undeveloped vacant land. Part of the pride and "mojo" comes with showing off the big city aspect of Phoenix ... showing the nation and the world that we are more than just mountains, desert, and sunshine. The Westgate location simply does not accomplish that.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:34 AM

981 posts, read 2,361,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Good news about the Super Bowl and college championship bowl game, yes, but it's still a bad location. Sorry, but unless there is a huge building spree in the next year around Westgate, I won't feel very proud showcasing the UOP Stadium with these major sporting events against a backdrop of cotton fields and large swaths of undeveloped vacant land. Part of the pride and "mojo" comes with showing off the big city aspect of Phoenix ... showing the nation and the world that we are more than just mountains, desert, and sunshine. The Westgate location simply does not accomplish that.
I see where you're coming from. I mean Westgate is good for what it is and it will continue to expand and become more vibrant. The new outlet mall for instance was a nice addition. But for people coming out of town for the Superbowl and who would like to stay in one area and not travel much would get bored quickly in the Westgate area. I remember back in 08 when we hosted the Superbowl a lot of people ventured out to places like Old Town and Mill Ave and even downtown Phoenix to hang out which all are a good distance from the Westgate area. Like I said it's going to take time but the Westgate area will get more concentrated nightlife and amenities in time so you don't have to be embarrassed of the cotton fields backdrop haha

Old 12-17-2013, 07:53 AM

9,030 posts, read 16,453,674 times
there really is no need to spend the entire time around the stadium .... who does such a thing anyhow?

if you're coming to Phoenix for any event at any location and thinking you're going to maximize your trip by staying in any single location then you are going to severely limit yourself ........ it's Phoenix - it's spread out

Glendale has a lot more going for it than Miami Gardens - yet we never hear such complaints about a Miami event

A good number of stadiums are situated the same way where they are tucked away a little bit .... not that big of a deal, especially considering how easy it is to get to and get in/out of
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or