Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 08:18 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times

Advertisements

we've had 20meg/5meg Cox cable internet for years & hadnt run any speed tests in a while (we used to speed test @ pretty close to our plan maximum) - with the latest rate increase, I ordered Centurylink (40meg/5meg) & started running speed tests at random times & days over the past couple of weeks- just to see what we were actually getting for $62.99 per month. I never got a result over 5megs (on our 20meg line) in a couple weeks of testing. When they turned on the Centurylink, I was getting 37 megs on a 40 meg plan.. It seems kinda odd that we would consistently test so far below the rate plan we're on unless we're being throttled. If it was any other company, I'd call tech support & ask, but I really don't have the patience to deal with the whole "scripted tech support" thing with them..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 12:06 AM

69 posts, read 155,396 times
I've had similar problems. I pay for the 20mb/s service and had frequent nights where the actual speed was 5 or less. I have called them and they never have an answer, and usually it's fine the next day. I don't know if it's the infrastructure or what, but it is a pain for me when watching streaming shows/movies and the quality goes from HD to 240p quality.

Bottom line, I don't think it's throttling, I think it's just poor consistency due to old or defective infrastructure.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:18 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
When I do is speedtest and it comes out at 3 or so, I just reboot the modem and it goes back into the 20s (Cox). It's pretty much a weekly event. The same drop off only happened a few times with my CL when I had it, but the fix worked the same. If you can look at your modem in Cox you typically see a lot of uncorrectable errors going on when the speed falls off. They stop occurring after a reboot. Why? I have no idea, but give it a try.

As for throttling, yes they do and you can find out about it on their website. You get only so many gb in each plan level before they throttle you. You can log on the website and see your usage and where you stand relative to your plan threshold. .

Old 12-20-2013, 08:58 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Unless you're exceeding your monthly data allowance you're not being throttled. More than likely it is a network capacity issue on your neighborhood hub during peak internet usage hours. It could also be an equipment problem on your end or Cox's end. If you're not exceeding your data allowance then call Cox and get them to come out and fix it.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:10 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Never been throttled with CenturyLink, and with a network that is immune to slowdowns during peak internet usage hours, I say this is a perfect reason to switch. Ignore all online reviews; most of them are by Cox employees writing bogus negative reviews for CenturyLink and positive reviews for Cox.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:44 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Never been throttled with CenturyLink, and with a network that is immune to slowdowns during peak internet usage hours, I say this is a perfect reason to switch. Ignore all online reviews; most of them are by Cox employees writing bogus negative reviews for CenturyLink and positive reviews for Cox.
How in the heck do you figure that? Also, CenturyLink's network isn't immune to slowdowns during peak internet usage hours. The choke point is simply further upstream with CL than it is with Cox so slowdowns would be spread over a wider group of customers and not seem as significant vice Cox where it might affect one neighborhood severely while the neighborhood next to it is doing great.

I've not had CL recently, however, I have had DSL in the past and it was garbage then. Listening to Ponderosa and others around here it appears DSL service is getting better than it used to be. One problem that remains with DSL is that the further you reside from the neighborhood node the slower the connection you will have where this isn't the case with cable internet.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:58 AM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,169 times
I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that Cox has been dreadful for me generally, and that the helpful thing to do would be to take a moment to write a complaint AND send a copy to whatever city department has oversight. They're the only ones that can potentially take action with a bad company, because the Corporation Commission won't help.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:33 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Unless you're exceeding your monthly data allowance you're not being throttled. More than likely it is a network capacity issue on your neighborhood hub during peak internet usage hours. It could also be an equipment problem on your end or Cox's end. If you're not exceeding your data allowance then call Cox and get them to come out and fix it.

thats the thing- i have exceed my "allowance" for a couple of months, when we first got netflix - i got emails from cox & they just said i might be "happier" on a more expensive plan, not that they would neuter my connection to 1/4 my rated speed, (but keep charging me for a faster plan). in any case, i had changed the settings on netflix to reduce our usage significantly, and i havent gotten any overage emails for a couple of months. theres no equipment problem on my end - thats the scripted dance I dont have the patience for anymore - hours on the phone just to have them blame *my* equipment.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:04 PM

537 posts, read 1,544,948 times
I have a long history with Cox Internet. I was a subscriber when it was first put into service in central Phx. They used a proprietary cable modem that was like a brick on the floor, a Lancity modem. It was screamingly fast but then I was one of two subscribers in a square mile. Today you will get the best results with a good modem. Get a Motorola sb6141 (white in color). It has eight downstreams and four upstream channels. I believe it adds reliable speed and only costs around $80.
I have the $65/ month service. On any day at any time I can get 65 Mps down and 6 Mps up. If I want more speed than that, I can call them and have the speed turned up for how ever many days I want. I think that one is called "Extreme." that one is $95./month and has a download of 150 Mbs. peak. You can buy that Motorola Surfboard modem anywhere including Costco and Sam's Club and hook it up yourself.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:37 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
This is good information guys! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: