Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 05:38 AM

28 posts, read 34,805 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am currently stationed in ND, but am extremely interested in investing in rental properties in the East Valley. I am originally from Chandler, and most of my family is still in the nearby vicinity. This will be my first home purchase, and I have been doing research for about a month or so on different terms, and reading advice.

My goal is to keep the property for as long as possible, and to break over even in regards to the mortgage/insurance, etc. I am having trouble figuring out what price to limit myself to, and need help. The vast majority of properties in either Gilbert, Chandler are well over the $150K mark, and those under seem to be foreclosures or condo's/townhomes. Single Family Homes have better track records than townhomes by the majority of views I've read due to appreciating in value and longer renting terms of tenants. Also, I would be employing a property management company for landlord duties.

I can swing 20% on a property up to $130K, but would prefer to spend less. If you were in my shoes what would you do? Would you also consider Mesa? Would you consider townhomes/condo's. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:14 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Invest in mutual funds.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:19 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
If you don't mind the commute, Queen Creek and/or San Tan Valley are also options that would be cheaper than Gilbert or Chandler. Quite often you will find builders building the same floorplans in Queen Creek and/or San Tan Valley for less money than they sell in Gilbert or Chandler (Chandler typically being the most expensive of the four options).

East Mesa isn't too shabby either. A community that may suit your needs may be Eastmark, where some of the smaller floorplans may be within your price range. It has Queen Creek schools (which are much better than Mesa schools), and has quick convenient access to the Loop 202 SanTan Freeway.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:37 PM

890 posts, read 2,278,599 times
Don't invest in the suburbs. It's going to be too hard to break even with the prices, especially in the East Valley. Find something centrally located like central Phoenix. There are plenty of single family properties in your budget in Phoenix.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:44 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
The days of cheap house to flip are gone especially if you are not a cash buyer. Good luck

Old 12-22-2013, 09:44 PM

551 posts, read 692,846 times
I am going to agree with LocoAZnative. Unless you have that in cash you are already late to the cheap housing market and "they" (ie, those selling homes) have decided that the market is okay to start raising costs again, so we have seen 20-30% increase on prices of real estate across the entire valley.
I am sure there ARE very good places to buy in Chandler for 130k but you will need to get a real estate agent who is familiar with the market and can help you buy a place quickly.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:20 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
^ ^ what they say!

Keep in mind since you would be an out of state landlord you'll want to use a property management company. They will take 7-10% off the top of your monthly rental. If you are only in the $130K range, that doesn't leave you much profit left. Tenants aren't going to want to pay more in monthly rent just to help with your investment.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:26 PM

105 posts, read 326,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
If you don't mind the commute, Queen Creek and/or San Tan Valley are also options that would be cheaper than Gilbert or Chandler. Quite often you will find builders building the same floorplans in Queen Creek and/or San Tan Valley for less money than they sell in Gilbert or Chandler (Chandler typically being the most expensive of the four options).

East Mesa isn't too shabby either. A community that may suit your needs may be Eastmark, where some of the smaller floorplans may be within your price range. It has Queen Creek schools (which are much better than Mesa schools), and has quick convenient access to the Loop 202 SanTan Freeway.

hes looking for property to invest in not live...i.e. rent out.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:12 AM

28 posts, read 34,805 times
Thanks....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area