Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:21 AM

183 posts, read 285,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
wow, as someone who was considering moving to Phoenix, I may have to think this one over. I have starting reading about Phoenix and it seems that you guys have a serious gang problem. Sure, you can say, stay out of gang territory...but how long before you accidentally **** a gang member off minding your own businessess driving down the street in a non gang area?

And I had to laugh at someone trying to justify 234 murders in a year. That is very high.
234 murders a year for a city of 1.5 million isn't really that bad. It could be better but there's always room for improvement.

As for the gang culture it's nowhere near as bad as other places(Los Angeles or Chicago, for example) and the gang territory zones are really small and cover areas you wouldn't usually veture to anyway unless you were going to visit a particular person who just happens to live in that area. Out here in AZ gang members usually just go after rival gang members and really nobody else. It's really laidback out here. You can be at a club out here with a bunch of gang members and they won't even bother you unless they think you're a rival. So just watch your dress codes(meaning what colors you wear or a certain type of hat you wear) when around gang members but you seem like the type that wouldn't venture to places where members hang out at anyway. But even on those nights when you just happen to you should be okay.

As for the pissing off a gang member minding your own business thing you can do that to a soccer mom or some crazed conservative 2nd admendant follower(right to carry arms) out here and get the same results. Bottom line don't **** off anyone anywhere unless you're ready to face the consequences(sp?) That doesn't just go for Phoenix that's in any big city and it seems like even in these small towns.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:50 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,042,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickluva View Post
Ha Ha too bad there's more mexicans in Chicago and Illinois than in all of Arizona
Listen, the mexican gangs fresh over the boarder from Mexico were either from California, Arizona or Texas first!!!! So what ever you have in Chicago was, or is in Phoenix. Your boarder control doesn't work with mexican gangs like ours does 24 hrs a day. We are a pass-threw state. Oh, thats right, what boarder control! If you mid-westies don't respect the way of the west your gonna get hurt. South American and Mexican gangs are no joke. Google it. You telling them you have visited the ghettos in Chicago, even if you say it in spanish, isn't going to stop them from robbing you. Maybe give them a good laugh first. This isn't New England! And rich white Cali's aren't the only ones relocating to AZ. The gangs are too. Do some more research before you under-mind the seriousness of gang related crime in Phx. It is rising like the rest of the population.

This is a pathetic argument, we should not be competing for who has the most crime anyway. Being in a poor area with a ghetto is sad because it is just poor and crime feeds on it. A hood or barrio is different.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 AM

401 posts, read 2,597,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillSin2009 View Post
As a native south Chicagoan, I agree with a few of the threads, but the south side is nowhere near as bad as the West Side. My fiancee and I were dropping off a friend on Ohio and Laramie one night (true ghetto - I mean crackheads, liquor stores on every corner, the works, for those who don't know) and the cops pull us over, grabbed (literally) my fiancee out of the car and start pushing him and frisking him; asking "Where'd you buy, whiteboy!?" If that ain't the hood, I don't know what is.
The K-town area and Maywood (produced alot of outstanding hoop talent) may be the worst but I still say some parts on the south side are worse. Especially if you go way south into Gary. Now thats ugly......

Old 01-02-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Listen, the mexican gangs fresh over the boarder from Mexico were either from California, Arizona or Texas first!!!! So what ever you have in Chicago was, or is in Phoenix. Your boarder control doesn't work with mexican gangs like ours does 24 hrs a day. We are a pass-threw state. Oh, thats right, what boarder control! If you mid-westies don't respect the way of the west your gonna get hurt. South American and Mexican gangs are no joke. Google it. You telling them you have visited the ghettos in Chicago, even if you say it in spanish, isn't going to stop them from robbing you. Maybe give them a good laugh first. This isn't New England! And rich white Cali's aren't the only ones relocating to AZ. The gangs are too. Do some more research before you under-mind the seriousness of gang related crime in Phx. It is rising like the rest of the population.

This is a pathetic argument, we should not be competing for who has the most crime anyway. Being in a poor area with a ghetto is sad because it is just poor and crime feeds on it. A hood or barrio is different.
Listen man, Im not even going to get into a kind of worthless argument. Chicago had gangs, the most famous gangster (Al Capone) and 3X the crime that Phoenix does today while Phoenix was still a cow pasture. Im not denying that Phoenix has an issue with crime but I think most AZ people take it wayyy over the top. I dont think you guys have really seen crime or poverty. And Im not saying that I have or that Chicago is the only city that has it but Im saying just be thankful for what you do have because there are millions or people living in housing projects in Chicago (ever heard of Cabrini-Green?), New York, Detroit, Cleveland etc... that would take a house in your "ghetto-crime ridden area" and would think it was a palace.

Here's a taste man -
YouTube - Harold Ickies Projects "Poverty in Chicago" PBS Documentary.

In any event, I suggest that Phoenix people just avoid bad areas and people looking for trouble and enjoy the nice weather and sunshine !

Old 01-02-2008, 12:00 PM

[quote=twiggy;2391507]Listen, the mexican gangs fresh over the boarder from Mexico were either from California, Arizona or Texas first!!!! So what ever you have in Chicago was, or is in Phoenix. Your boarder control doesn't work with mexican gangs like ours does 24 hrs a day. We are a pass-threw state. Oh, thats right, what boarder control! If you mid-westies don't respect the way of the west your gonna get hurt. South American and Mexican gangs are no joke. Google it. You telling them you have visited the ghettos in Chicago, even if you say it in spanish, isn't going to stop them from robbing you. Maybe give them a good laugh first. This isn't New England! And rich white Cali's aren't the only ones relocating to AZ. The gangs are too. Do some more research before you under-mind the seriousness of gang related crime in Phx. It is rising like the rest of the population.

quote]

Have you even been to Chicago??? Have you even heard of the Latin Kings or MS-13(probably the gullyest gang of them all)Those gangs have bases in Chicago but aren't even present here in Phoenix. So Phoenix doesn't even have what half of Chicago has. The Mexican-American population is more established in the Chi. It's still developing in Phoenix regardless of it's proximity of the boarder. The majority of these so-called Mexican gangs you talk about are either Surreno's who came here to get away from Cali, your typical local street gangs or mexicans who are in drug cartels just transporting drugs out of Phoenix to other parts of the country. You did know that the drugs that come thru the boarders here don't even goto Phoenix right?

Also it doesn't matter what region you are in. It ain't where ya from it's where ya at. You can get robbed in New England too. Parts of Boston can be gully. Boston probably has more gangs than Phoenix. They were the first city on the east to incorporate gang colors and this was back in the late 80's- early 90's. As my peeps who grew up here were telling me that gang problems here didn't really start showing up until like '95 with bloods and crips migrating from Cali. I'm not going to deny that Phoenix is developing a gang problem but what big city doesn't have gangs? But it's not as dangerous as you make it sound fam "you gotta brush up on your spanish" man please quit watching "Training Day" you ain't Denzel. I'm done

Last edited by nickluva; 01-02-2008 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: cause i can

Old 01-02-2008, 01:06 PM

"You did know that the drugs that come thru the boarders here don't even goto Phoenix right? "

True that, much more of them go through Tucson than Phoenix

Old 01-02-2008, 01:21 PM

419 posts, read 1,520,650 times
I lived in Chicago (near Cabrini-Green then Wrigleyville) and several suburbs (Streamwood, Naperville, Aurora, Plainfield) and I rarely felt as threatened as I do in the West Valley. Take the gangs out of the equation, and (in my experience) the population here is generally more desperate, more opportunistic for thievery, and less connected to the community. If the Chicago Mexican population is more than Phoenix, how about comparing the educated and professional Mexicans from each city. I bet it would be 10 to 1 for Chicago.

In Phoenix I have to spend more energy guarding my possessions, my family, my vehicle. I don't have the fortune to live in a $500K + gated community. Maybe it's the west as much as Phoenix, but it is more wild, desperate, and reckless out here.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
I lived in Chicago (near Cabrini-Green then Wrigleyville) and several suburbs (Streamwood, Naperville, Aurora, Plainfield) and I rarely felt as threatened as I do in the West Valley. Take the gangs out of the equation, and (in my experience) the population here is generally more desperate, more opportunistic for thievery, and less connected to the community. If the Chicago Mexican population is more than Phoenix, how about comparing the educated and professional Mexicans from each city. I bet it would be 10 to 1 for Chicago.

In Phoenix I have to spend more energy guarding my possessions, my family, my vehicle. I don't have the fortune to live in a $500K + gated community. Maybe it's the west as much as Phoenix, but it is more wild, desperate, and reckless out here.
Two things

1. Those areas in Chicago that you're talking about are extremely safe and are amongst the safest areas in the country. Even the area close to Cabrini Green that you're talking area has $500,000 and up townhomes and condos. In a few years or so there won't even be a Cabrini Green.

2. Parts of the west valley(where you live now) has high crime and is considered the worst area in Phoenix to live. So you're pretty much comparing some of Chicago's low crime area's versus some of Phoenix's high crime areas. Not a fair comparison and I bet if you had lived in some of Chicago's tougher areas then you would be singing a whole different tune.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:46 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,303,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay

Quote:
Two things

1. Those areas in Chicago that you're talking about are extremely safe and are amongst the safest areas in the country. Even the area close to Cabrini Green that you're talking area has $500,000 and up townhomes and condos. In a few years or so there won't even be a Cabrini Green.

2. Parts of the west valley(where you live now) has high crime and is considered the worst area in Phoenix to live. So you're pretty much comparing some of Chicago's low crime area's versus some of Phoenix's high crime areas. Not a fair comparison and I bet if you had lived in some of Chicago's tougher areas then you would be singing a whole different tune.

That is a good point. However, that says a lot about our real estate values. It's much harder to buy into a really good neighborhood here in Phoenix for less than 500K.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:55 PM

419 posts, read 1,520,650 times
Quote:
Two things

You're right about Cabrini Green. It won't be there much longer, but that's an indication of neighborhood renovation, which I haven't seen here yet. But since the 80's in Chicago, there has always been enough money near certain hoods that make the city and law enforcement keep it safe. In West Valley, you don't see the same concern for the higher-priced streets that are near the ugly hoods. Also, my neighborhood is not considered close to "worst of the valley" status, but it, and many like it, seem to be progressively moving that way.

Streamwood/Hanover Park is not very nice, at least it wasn't 10 years ago. My point is that even with the affordable places to live like Streamwood and Plainfield, safety was never that big a concern. Here, it seems there's a higher premium for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area