Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:02 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times

Advertisements

HX, have you made any decisions? I think I'm going to plant a hop bush/hopseed hedge along two sides of my wall which will hopefully give me 10'+ of blockage, but I'm still considering trees as an alternative. I'm also having a hard time finding hop bushes that are already a good size. I've only come across 5 gallon plants. Wondering what you've figured out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 11:05 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I have a tree that I believe is called a Southern Live Oak in my backyard. It has dark leathery leaves, is extremely tough and drought resistant, and does not have much litter at all when I think about it. It was here when I bought the place and I neglect it pretty much yet it still looks good. Mine is not near my pool, but it might make a decent pool tree compared to some of the others out there. It is very slow growing though.
We have these throughout our neighborhood and I even had one in my yard until a landscaper killed it. All the ones we have in our neighborhood drop a ton of acorns at this time of year. The sidewalks are covered in acorns. Is this not a common problem with all Live Oaks?

Old 01-06-2014, 11:44 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
HX, have you made any decisions? I think I'm going to plant a hop bush/hopseed hedge along two sides of my wall which will hopefully give me 10'+ of blockage, but I'm still considering trees as an alternative. I'm also having a hard time finding hop bushes that are already a good size. I've only come across 5 gallon plants. Wondering what you've figured out.
No, I haven't.

I thought I was set on doing a couple Fan-Tex Ash trees and one Chinese Pistache...until I saw a bunch of Chinese Pistache trees in downtown Phoenix yesterday (at least thats what I think they are) and they looked terrible plus they seem to be super slow growing...they were planted 3-4 years ago I believe and are still pretty small.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
No, I haven't.

I thought I was set on doing a couple Fan-Tex Ash trees and one Chinese Pistache...until I saw a bunch of Chinese Pistache trees in downtown Phoenix yesterday (at least thats what I think they are) and they looked terrible plus they seem to be super slow growing...they were planted 3-4 years ago I believe and are still pretty small.
I looked at the Fan Tex Ash this weekend and they were pretty bare given that it's winter. I guess they would be great in the summer but I don't think they'll provide any privacy in the winter, if that important to you. I guess there's really no perfect solution. I would plant a row of cypress trees if my HOA would let me.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:39 PM

I'm surprised your HOA restricts what you can plant in the backyard, ours doesn't, unless you have a view fence, which we don't.

As for privacy, it's not an issue during winter since we won't be in the yard using the pool. There are still lots of Fan-Tex Ash trees with leaves downtown at the Civic Park...stop by there if you want to see what they look like, they are great trees.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I'm surprised your HOA restricts what you can plant in the backyard, ours doesn't, unless you have a view fence, which we don't.

As for privacy, it's not an issue during winter since we won't be in the yard using the pool. There are still lots of Fan-Tex Ash trees with leaves downtown at the Civic Park...stop by there if you want to see what they look like, they are great trees.
I'll check them out, thanks. Our backyard is free rein with the exception of 6 or so plants on the prohibited list; oleanders, palms, olive trees, pines/juniper/cypress, citrus over 3 trees, and a couple others.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:09 PM

Ah I see...not too bad then.

My wife is wanting some citrus trees and a peach tree as well...so I don't know what we are going to end up with, a mish-mosh of things I guess.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,318 times
I agree with the Fan-tex ash. If you cover the pool December through Feb., you have no worries at all. Even if you don't, the leaves only drop ONCE and if far enough away, should pose no problems to the pool.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:17 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
I'd go with palms, also. But NOT queen palms. They HATE our soil and water here and usually end up looking half-dead.

Go with Mediteraneian fan palms. They stay reasonably sized, can tolerate our terrible soil/water, and take cold weather without a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area