Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:39 AM

18 posts, read 22,297 times

Advertisements

Please I already know what you're thinking, "Not another BLASTED post bout moving to our fabulous city from another newcomer". I know its annoying, that's y I'm asking to please just help. Thanks.

I'm moving to Phoenix, AZ from DELAWARE w/ my byfrnd in a month as a job transfer from Amazon.com! TALK ABOUT A REAL CROSS COUNTRY ROAD TRIP!! HA! I've already done the research for about 7months now, using Google maps and other tidbits from other forums for cross country advice. It'll take about 4-5days to get there w/ staying at hotels. This is what I've come up with!

Using I-70W/I-76W all the way then cutting down from Grand Junction to I-50, then hitting I-160/I-149 (only because we want to visit the 4 corners) then it slaps right into I-89 then I-17(PHOENIX!) NO TOLLS NO NOTHING!!! (GAS $370)

We're staying at motel 6s all the way ($250, I have a AAA membership (THATS IMPORTANT!!!))

We're getting a cooler for sandwiches & juices. ($50--But still $100 for anything we might see that's appetizing.)

*I will have around $3k for the trip in reserve. Even though I will have a job lined up, I was told by my cousins who lived there for 5yrs then came back to DE for family reason to stay at Palm Shadows or Siesta Palms til we actually find something we like. Our budget is $750mnth--tops. I've been on Sunday Saver website looking at prices in comparison to what i'm spending for groceries & such & let me just say---ITS MUCH CHEAPER! Please if you have ANY ADVICE or TIPS LET ME KNOW!!!*

THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 10:18 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellz0427 View Post
Using I-70W/I-76W all the way then cutting down from Grand Junction to I-50, then hitting I-160/I-149 (only because we want to visit the 4 corners) then it slaps right into I-89 then I-17(PHOENIX!) NO TOLLS NO NOTHING!!! (GAS $370)
"I" means Interstate Highway (freeways, red/white/blue signs). None of the roads that you mention between Grand Junction and I-17 are Interstates. They are state or US highways. They also look like they might be going through some fairly mountainous terrain which might not be a good idea in January. A safer route from Grand Junction to Four Corners would be to continue on I-70 into Utah and take US-191. You'd get to see Arches National Park that way as well. Also, crossing the Rockies on I-70 can be dicey that time of the year. You should probably carry chains. If it were me I would avoid the whole mess and take a more southern route like I-40.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:35 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
I would almost tell you to go further south if traveling across the country in January. Keep an eye on the weather and be prepared to head down to I-20 or I-10 to get here. Drove across the country in January once and hit about the worst ice storm of my life in Texas, further north it was a blizzard. The highways were shut down and you could not find a hotel room. Had to hole up in a nasty motel for the night. Would definitely steer clear of Kansas and Colorado in the winter unless you like lots of wind and blowing snow.

Save the Four Corners road trip for the spring or summer when you would enjoy it.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:10 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,451,525 times
THIS is the way I would do it. No tolls, more direct, less chance for problems to arise. But if you wanna go sightseeing I understand why you would opt for another route...

Old 12-28-2013, 12:20 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
don't use I-70!....but, as suggested, use the interstates as much as possible...how about I-95 to I-85 to I-40 to I-17??....if the weather looks bad, you may even want to drop down to I-10 into Phx from west Texas....

your job is absolutely confirmed out here, right?.....

yes, stay temporarily somewhere (2-3 weeks??) and look around for a place that will work for you longer term...consider work location, commute, nearby stores you'll need....watch out for weird neighbors, noise at night out in the parking lot, the usual daily life conveniences.....

yes, I think you'll like the lower cost of living out here....

Old 12-28-2013, 03:12 PM

OK...Here we go,

*I do NOT feel comfortable about using I-40W. Personally, driving thru Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, both of the Carolinas, & certain parts of Texas makes me VERY UNEASY to say the least. Racism is still VERY ALIVE and I don't wanna go thru any unnecessary mess. That's why I choose the Northern route.

*I work for Amazon.com and yes, my job has confirmed and I have a week to get there. I do plan on, however applying for Customer Service and Data Entry jobs as I do want to go back to school for Nursing or Climatology. And working for Amazon.com & going to school does not fit well together.

*Saving the 4 Corners trip for another season is fine.

*I do trust my cousins advice about going to either Siesta Palms or Palm Shadows for temp. housing til we find something better. They just haven't been there for a year almost 2 now. So I was just seeing if anyone knew any updated information about those place. We have been keeping our eyes on a few places on Trulia.com. But what looks good online is not always so nice in person. So we still have to keep our eyes opened.

Thanks for EVERYONE'S INPUT SO FAR! Its very much appreciated!!!

Old 12-28-2013, 04:18 PM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,684 times
Quote:
OK...Here we go,

*I do NOT feel comfortable about using I-40W. Personally, driving thru Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, both of the Carolinas, & certain parts of Texas makes me VERY UNEASY to say the least. Racism is still VERY ALIVE and I don't wanna go thru any unnecessary mess. That's why I choose the Northern route.

The only one of the states you listed that I-40 goes through is Texas and that is at it's narrowest point. You would be going through Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico. I would use it unless the weather was bad in which case I would drop south to I-10. Maybe you were thinking of 10 when you wrote the above??

Old 12-28-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
The only one of the states you listed that I-40 goes through is Texas and that is at it's narrowest point. You would be going through Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico. I would use it unless the weather was bad in which case I would drop south to I-10. Maybe you were thinking of 10 when you wrote the above??
Yes, I really was but still Tennessee & Oklahoma--ugh no. I would rather stay away from those states. Tip of Texas would be fine; I don't mind that. But I understand the concern about driving in the states that I previously stated (the I-70W/I-76W) during the early February.

Thanks for the comment!

Old 12-28-2013, 08:24 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Yes, I really was but still Tennessee & Oklahoma--ugh no. I would rather stay away from those states. Tip of Texas would be fine; I don't mind that. But I understand the concern about driving in the states that I previously stated (the I-70W/I-76W) during the early February.

Thanks for the comment!
OP, just what exactly do you think will happen to you in Tennessee and Oklahoma? You'll just be driving through, maybe staying overnight. I DO understand and agree that racism still exists in this country, but I can't figure out why you think you'll be bothered when you are just driving through states (especially on the Interstates)?

I've driven across the country 4-5 times now, by myself. The biggest problem was boredom!

Take as southerly a route as you can ... you definitely don't want to get caught in bad weather. Other than that, you will be fine -- no one will bother you, they will be too busy trying to get to their own destinations!

Have a fun and safe trip!

Old 12-28-2013, 09:44 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I would almost tell you to go further south if traveling across the country in January. Keep an eye on the weather and be prepared to head down to I-20 or I-10 to get here. Drove across the country in January once and hit about the worst ice storm of my life in Texas, further north it was a blizzard. The highways were shut down and you could not find a hotel room. Had to hole up in a nasty motel for the night. Would definitely steer clear of Kansas and Colorado in the winter unless you like lots of wind and blowing snow.

Save the Four Corners road trip for the spring or summer when you would enjoy it.
Ding! Ding! Ding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area