Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:35 PM

6 posts, read 13,830 times

Advertisements

Which one is worse in your opinion. I lived in Orlando for 5 years and the heat really didn't bother me although I didn't want to be outside all day long. I currently live in the frozen Midwest and am itching to get back to warmer, sunnier skies! Will I be able to tolerate the summers in AZ? Does it impede on one being able to enjoy the outdoors during the summer months? I get the vibe that I need to experience it to find out for myself but am just wondering if anyone has experienced both and can give me their thoughts?

Old 12-28-2013, 10:15 PM

639 posts, read 965,134 times
It's an entirely different heat experience. We sat outside every weekend this summer for 4-6 hours a day by the pool (or in it) and the heat didn't bother us at all. I can't say the same for Orlando, the humidity does get to you after awhile. I personally like some humidity, my skin does better in it, but the climates are two very different feelings.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:40 PM

3,939 posts, read 6,680,130 times
Sandy6879 hit the nail on the head. Two entirely different types of heat. Having lived in both environments at this point I chose the dry heat over humidity, which I grew up in. They both have pros and cons, though. The humidity is definitely easier on my skin, but the dry heat was better for my respiratory system. It really is personal preference.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:04 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,002,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartlife View Post
Which one is worse in your opinion. I lived in Orlando for 5 years and the heat really didn't bother me although I didn't want to be outside all day long. I currently live in the frozen Midwest and am itching to get back to warmer, sunnier skies! Will I be able to tolerate the summers in AZ? Does it impede on one being able to enjoy the outdoors during the summer months? I get the vibe that I need to experience it to find out for myself but am just wondering if anyone has experienced both and can give me their thoughts?
I spent my whole 40 years of life in the Tampa Bay area before moving here. Let me break it down. For the most part, summers are more bearable here. People mock the old statement, "but it's a dry heat", but it's totally true. Last summer we had the hottest day ever, it hit 118! I was walking in a deserted old strip mall and the breeze off the parking lot felt like blow drier. Having said that it still wasn't as miserable as Florida! You kind of trip out on it like it's another planet, where as in Florida you're like, ew..yuck, "I feel nasty".

Now the Floridians that tell you how unbearable our heat is here, most of them don't care for the desert landscape altogether. They like the greenery, the boating, fishing, and the beaches, and learn to tolerate the humidity. But I've all the fishing and water sports I'll ever need. My priorities have changed. I want to put on a nice pear of jeans, go for a walk and not have sweaty loins and mosquito bites. AZ delivers these 2 very important things for a cheap price.

They do have this monsoon season here where the humidity creeps up to around 25-30 percent humidity. On those days though the temps hover more around 108. But you will sweat if you're exerting yourself outside. I'll still take those over 90 degrees and 65% humidity. And that monsoon season is only about 2 months anyway, outside that period, it's just fine here.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:20 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,223,164 times
In very low humidity I actually get cold much faster, even on a hot day. Like, getting out of a pool when it is 100 and humidity of less than 10%, the water dries on your skin so fast, it is chilly, especially if there is a breeze. Getting out of a pool when it is 100 and 75% humidity...you never feel cold.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:46 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,686,229 times
I spent a week in Florida during one of their heat waves with high humidity. I would take the worst summer in AZ over that. We have adapted quite well here.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:54 AM

44,548 posts, read 61,249,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I spent a week in Florida during one of their heat waves with high humidity. I would take the worst summer in AZ over that. We have adapted quite well here.
^^^Agree. Florida and it's super high humidity, dripping wet all day and trouble breathing, no way. AZ is more comfortable during the summers than FL.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:01 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,153,004 times
For me, I prefer Florida heat. The humidity is better for your skin and the temperature is not as hot. AZ sun makes my skin feel like it is burning. If I want a dry heat, I can stick my head in the oven. Also, Florida has more lush greenery from the rains, sea breezes, adn nearby beaches to help you cool off. AZ only has some pools, and the occasional hot blowdryer wind, which does nothing for you.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:34 PM

6 posts, read 13,830 times
Thanks for the replies! All your insight was very helpful!

Old 12-29-2013, 02:52 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,708,445 times
I cant speak for Orlando but Jacksonville summers are definitely more mild. Yes, it gets hot (sorta) and muggy but then a storm will come in and cool everything off.

Contrast that to the Valley where it's over 100 degrees day after day after day after day (and at night, 100 degrees at midnight is not uncommon) from the first week in May until the first week in October. The monsoons do bring rain starting in late July but it's only hot rain, high humidity and temperatures are still well over 100 degrees. Your only consolation here in Phoenix is that you can drive up to Flag or Prescott where summers are absolutely perfect, whereas in Florida there really is no escape close by.

I noticed the difference particularly while doing day to day type things. I was out all day long looking at houses in Jax and while I did feel sticky, never once did I feel run down and tired. If I go out to run errands here in Phoenix during a summer day, I start to feel tired, sluggish and run down after only a couple of hours. Also, having lived in the Valley for so long I got used to filling a water bottle and taking it with me every time I leave the house but I found that in Jax, I simply did not need it.

Last edited by Scottay; 12-29-2013 at 03:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area