Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 10:48 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times

Advertisements

As I complained about earlier, my sissoo tree was sprouting up all over the yard. I called in several arborists and they said I needed to get it out as it was going to keep causing me trouble. I wanted to replace it with a citrus tree so they told me to wait until spring and they would remove the sissoo and replace with a citrus after the cold weather.

Well, that was a mistake...I went out yesterday and found my concrete block wall raised up with big cracks from the ground to the top of the wall and has been ruined by the roots of the sissoo tree that is about 20 feet away.

Does anyone know anyone in the west valley that can repair this wall for a reasonable price? An entire section, between two of the pillars, will need to be removed and the root addressed and the wall rebuilt.

Appreciate any recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 10:17 PM

You guys were a lot of help. :P

I kind highly recommend Ricky's Masonry if anyone needs any block wall work. I found him on Angie's List and he had good reviews so I called him up. He came over an hour later to give me a quote and to my surprise he told me it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. he said it wasn't from the tree but was from the ground settling. He said he could fix it for $40 right then. He did the work and it looks great and I was very happy with the price.

Had he been dishonest he could have taken me for a lot more as he said if it was a tree root I would be looking at between $400-$600. I was much happier with the $40 and it is good to know the Sissoo will make it until the spring so I can replace it with a citrus tree.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:02 AM

681 posts, read 1,560,033 times
Thanks for posting LBTRS - we have a few cracks in the stucco of our block wall and I know we will need minor repair work in the next few years... good to have a personal recommendation for an honest trades person.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:39 PM

228 posts, read 343,694 times
Did you get a price for having your tree taken out? I've got a couple of what I'm pretty sure are sissoos on our lot, and am wavering between getting them trimmed or just having them taken out (they're in a fairly annoying place quite close to the house, and drop leaves all over the place).

It will still leave me with 17 trees in our front yard alone, so I feel I'm doing my bit to create a pleasant environment!

I haven't called anyone in yet as I'd read that late winter/ early spring was the time for this sort of work, but I was just wondering what a ballpark figure might be, in case I need to prepare myself for the shock...

Old 01-08-2014, 06:35 PM

I was quoted $350 by my landscaper to remove the tree and $400 from the arborist to remove it. My tree is just under six years old and probably 25-30 feet tall. An older/larger tree will be more of course.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:32 PM

228 posts, read 343,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I was quoted $350 by my landscaper to remove the tree and $400 from the arborist to remove it. My tree is just under six years old and probably 25-30 feet tall. An older/larger tree will be more of course.
Thanks, that's a little less than I was imagining, so hopefully I can find someone reliable to do the work in that range.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:45 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodokan View Post
Thanks, that's a little less than I was imagining, so hopefully I can find someone reliable to do the work in that range.
You should be able to, but bids can be all over the place, so you may not get that price with your first bid. The last time I had a tree taken out, the second bid I got was double (or maybe a little more than double) the first one. Both reputable contractors with all the appropriate equipment, etc.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 10,307 times
The Sissoo tree, just cut off the shoots that pop up in your yard and pour gasoline or clorox in that spot. That's all it takes for the annoying pop ups from this tree.

It's the best for shade and truly a beautiful tree. Does need trim once a year and a deep fertilizer treatment every couple of years. Have an All Pro Tree service take care of the trim, to big a tree for ladders and home trim.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 10,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
As I complained about earlier, my sissoo tree was sprouting up all over the yard. I called in several arborists and they said I needed to get it out as it was going to keep causing me trouble. I wanted to replace it with a citrus tree so they told me to wait until spring and they would remove the sissoo and replace with a citrus after the cold weather.

Well, that was a mistake...I went out yesterday and found my concrete block wall raised up with big cracks from the ground to the top of the wall and has been ruined by the roots of the sissoo tree that is about 20 feet away.

Does anyone know anyone in the west valley that can repair this wall for a reasonable price? An entire section, between two of the pillars, will need to be removed and the root addressed and the wall rebuilt.

Appreciate any recommendations!
You just need to cut the sprout away and pour little clorox on that spot or gasoline. That does the trick.
Sisso known to sprout but easy to get rid of sprouting//////
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: