Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 01:56 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Ouch! It's either snow and cold and low taxes or warmth and sunshine and high taxes! Guess I'll have to suck it up and expect to pay way more in taxes than I ever have in my lifetime. Thanks for the quick answer.

On the upside, we have cheaper gas, cheaper electricity and plenty of sunshine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 01:58 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Very interesting, AlaskaErik . . .

From my fairly limited experience with buying a new vehicle out of state, I believe you will be required to pay Arizona Sales Tax (roughly 5%), but no additional county or city tax, since no tax was collected on the initial purchase.

I believe the law clearly states "No Duplicate Sales Tax" and since you never paid tax in Alaska . . .

Also, I have a feeling the tax will be calculated on the vehicle value when registering, not the original price paid so my guess would be about 5% of $30k - $40k, possibly even less, not the original selling price.

Definitely no expert so a quick call to the Arizona MVD would more than likely be best.

Good Luck

This is wrong. If he buys the car in Alaska, he pays no sales tax here, period. He pays the cost of licensing and registration and that is all. It is completely irrelevant whether or not Alaska has a sales tax on the actual item, once he has bought the car, he owes nothing further.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:05 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Ouch! It's either snow and cold and low taxes or warmth and sunshine and high taxes! Guess I'll have to suck it up and expect to pay way more in taxes than I ever have in my lifetime. Thanks for the quick answer.
From my experience with visits to Alaska and knowing a few long-term residents, I have a feeling that once you've relocated to Arizona, regardless of the Sales Tax or NO Sales Tax on your vehicle, your overall cost of living with be considerably less.

As an example . . . after relocating to Arizona from California my first reaction was to the lower pay scales just about everywhere. I thought I would never be able to survive on these wages, however, after a few months I realized I had more money left over after paying the bills. In no time at all, I was able to save more and enjoy life much more in spite of my lower income.

JUST MY TWO CENTS WORTH and WELCOME.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:07 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
This is wrong. If he buys the car in Alaska, he pays no sales tax here, period. He pays the cost of licensing and registration and that is all. It is completely irrelevant whether or not Alaska has a sales tax on the actual item, once he has bought the car, he owes nothing further.

Exactly why I recommended speaking directly with the experts at the Arizona MVD.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:38 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
This conversation is nuts!

Let me ask you guys this...for anyone who moved here from our of state and brought a car with them...did you have to pat sales tax on it when you got here? Of course not, so why would the OP have to?

Old 01-05-2014, 09:39 AM

75 posts, read 212,915 times
Can someone explain to me how the vehicle license tax works? If I move there with a 2003 Toyota Tacoma, will the tax be based on the $30,000 I paid for the truck when it was new 11 years ago? That part I don't understand. Thanks.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanks1 View Post
Can someone explain to me how the vehicle license tax works? If I move there with a 2003 Toyota Tacoma, will the tax be based on the $30,000 I paid for the truck when it was new 11 years ago? That part I don't understand. Thanks.
No, it is based on its depreciated value. On a 2003, it will not be a lot.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
Quote:

no, the reg fee goes down every year a fixed % as the value depreciates.....

Old 01-05-2014, 10:04 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times
Quote:
In your case, you're moving here with your car. You'll pay NO sales tax which is what this thread is about. You will, however pay to register your car but what they charge for registration is based on what the car is worth NOW. What you paid for it years ago is irrelevant.
As an example, I have older cars. I brought an old Chrysler Concord from Oregon. It's a 1995 and the cost for registrations, title, plate and tags was something like $32.00 for TWO years. You need to remember that you'll have to get your car smog certified as well and that's $27.00.
Something I thought was interesting was in the way Arizona issues your drivers license. Basically if you have a valid license from another state, they punch your old license, then ask you if you want your old license for sentimental reasons, and then they just hand you an Arizona license. At least in my case they did and it was the same for a friend of mine that moved from Oregon and the same for my daughter. Another interesting thing about the licenses in Arizona is that they are issued until age 65. My daughter is 20 and her drivers license is valid until the year 2058.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:16 AM

75 posts, read 212,915 times
Thanks everyone for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area