U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-30-2007, 04:56 PM

19,646 posts, read 51,198,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
If they were common, I'd have moved a long time ago. And if they become common, you'll hear the wheels on my moving van squeal as we hightail it outta here. Not a big fan of snakes

That said, I know of two different people who had small dogs (dachsund and a yorkie) who were bitten by snakes and died. Both families lived in the Scottsdale area on large properties. As well, a good friend back in Virginia had a HUGE rottweiler who was bitten by a snake and died. Not sure what kind of snake it was, but it must have had pretty potent venom to take down that dog. So yes, like in other states, snakes are a consideration with dogs.
Awwww, cmon, snakes rock.

As for the dog deaths, the one in VA was probably bit by a Crotalus adamanteus, or the Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake. Their venom isnt terribly potent, its just the amount they can inject. The EDB is a big rattler, actually the biggest in the states, good thing they are relatively rare.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 12:48 AM

919 posts, read 2,159,915 times
I grew up in Denver and there are far less bugs and critters here. No horse flys, for example. I've yet to see a snake. No fire ants, at least near me. Have yet to see a scorpion or big spider in 5 years of living here. I'm only bugged by mosquitos, but also live near a lot of water-rich areas - so I'm not sure if this is typical. Even then, some repellent is all you need. Keep in mind that PHX is a big metro area like Denver. As such, if you live in Morrison, Evergreen, etc. you might run into deer, elk, etc. But most in the city would be scratching their head if asked about wildlife probs. Know what I mean?

Old 12-02-2007, 09:29 PM

24 posts, read 70,892 times
Default Thank you sooooo much!

So you may be my new penpal... hee hee... just what I need - someone who gets life in Denver and can make me feel a bit better. As you know, snakes are rarely an issue here and bugs are not big either... but hearing your response makes me feel much better. I am not too fearful of the bugs/critters if it is like the mountains - they're out there but not likely to infest your house or become a nuisance. You just hear horror stories. Anyhow, my husband and I live in south Denver (Parker) and we love the community... do you have an suggestions on places like this? Not your Highlands Ranch, but still a safe, clean and nice suburb.

Thanks a ton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
I grew up in Denver and there are far less bugs and critters here. No horse flys, for example. I've yet to see a snake. No fire ants, at least near me. Have yet to see a scorpion or big spider in 5 years of living here. I'm only bugged by mosquitos, but also live near a lot of water-rich areas - so I'm not sure if this is typical. Even then, some repellent is all you need. Keep in mind that PHX is a big metro area like Denver. As such, if you live in Morrison, Evergreen, etc. you might run into deer, elk, etc. But most in the city would be scratching their head if asked about wildlife probs. Know what I mean?

Old 12-02-2007, 11:31 PM

919 posts, read 2,159,915 times
Don't fret bugs - it's a non-issue. If intereted in moving, look at other things.

The greater Phoenix community doesn't quite have the character of many Denver hoods... yet. It's getting there. We had a growth spurt akin to a pre-teen becoming the college homecomeing queen.... fast and crazy. Growth here has been frentic and outward.

It seems now that things are slowing down in terms of outward expansion. Meanwhile there's been a lot of intrest on infill. There's a Lodo to be built. We need a Wash Park. We need more neighborhood joints and more neighbors to use them. And we have those who want to do this... it all comes down to timing.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:53 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,150,280 times
Hi Zealgirl 7 - I also have a great fear of bugs. Our house was built in far N Phoenix about 10 yrs ago. It was pretty much open field desert. I have seen 1 snake and 1 scorpion both when taking a walk.
I have since moved to center Phoenix but,we had our house and property sprayed monthly and never had problems.
I am from Philadelphia and I do not miss the mosquitos and roaches, ugh.

I also have a 8lb maltese and a 10lb chihuaha and haven't had any problems not even fleas which are a big problem back east.

so try to be calm and not worry so much about the bugs here.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:37 AM

232 posts, read 582,153 times
The only time you should be worrying about small pets is if you live on the outskirts of town or in a rural area. If you live in the city you aren't going to have a problem.

Be aware that ticks are common, you should use flea and tick prevention on your dogs and cats even if you are in the city.

Don't let small dogs off leash in a desert park.

You should also be aware that the Colorado River toad produces toxins in it's skin that can kill a dog. After monsoon rains there are areas of the Valley that have a lot of toads hopping about. Don't let your dog chase them.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:05 PM

17,573 posts, read 20,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee151 View Post
The only time you should be worrying about small pets is if you live on the outskirts of town or in a rural area. If you live in the city you aren't going to have a problem.

Be aware that ticks are common, you should use flea and tick prevention on your dogs and cats even if you are in the city.

Don't let small dogs off leash in a desert park.

You should also be aware that the Colorado River toad produces toxins in it's skin that can kill a dog. After monsoon rains there are areas of the Valley that have a lot of toads hopping about. Don't let your dog chase them.
LOL. I guess it's all personal experience. I have seen plenty of scorpions and black widows but have yet to find a tick on my dog in 35 or so years of living here.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:50 PM

28,510 posts, read 21,629,733 times
Yep, watch out for the invasion of toads and crickets, even scorpions and black widows. If you believe that then I have some Florida swampland to sell you.

This bug thing is getting pretty old and blown way outta proportion. Oldtimers, such as myself, will tell you that you'll rarely,, if any, encounter such problems as some ridiculous statements are being made here.

Yes out in the boonies you may encounter some of these critters, but go anywhere in the USA and you'll find some critters. Hey it's nature and it's natural. If you're really worried, get a bug control service.

Again I'd worry more about human beings with all their fallacies before I'd worry about some innocent bug.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 PM

124 posts, read 283,862 times
Default Absurd Question and Thread!

I'm sorry but this thread is absolutely assinine and unintelligent. One of the advantages to Phoenix is that there aren't bugs. There isn't enough humidity to enable most insects and bugs to survive. That's why you don't have mosquitoes, flies, bees, hornets, dragonflies and wasps buzzing around like you do in most climates. Try to barbeque in Florida in the summer and you need a bug zapper because there are so many mosquitoes, june bugs and flying insects everywhere. You don't get that in AZ. Yes, that same heat you incessantly complain about protects you from some of these same pests that people in more moderate climates complain about. Aside from the lack of humidity, the lack of bugs is another advantage to our summers

We do have scorpions, snakes, coyotes and havalina pigs but you have to live in endemic areas like the desert, mountainous areas or areas/neighborhoods used to seeing them. I can assure you that in my 15 years here, I've never had any of these in my home but then again, I don't live in the foothills, camelback mountain or the middle of the desert.

Realistically, the only "scary bug" that you are prone to experience are scorpions and that's entirely dependent on several factors such as your neighborhood (wealthy vs. poor), home (is it sealed), location (do you live in the middle of the desert). If you are living in a fairly decent neighborhood in the middle of suburbia, you can count on one hand how many scorpions you will experience. I saw more scorpions in Illinois than I did here...I'm serious!

To the OP, think about it....it's 110 degrees outside with little water, how many bugs do you think are going to survive to the point they are crawling over your feet when you are walking in downtown. Whoever is telling you this is a complete moron.

Last edited by cxray; 12-04-2007 at 07:09 PM..

Old 12-04-2007, 11:23 PM

5,471 posts, read 14,391,104 times
I agree that bugs are not constantly in your face here, which I appreciate. One of the biggest reasons why I'm hesistant about moving east of the 100th parallel is fear of bugs. However, to pretend that there are no bugs is ridiculous-- "assinine," to use your word. No bees? There are HUGE, black bees here that hang out in groups, flying around certain kinds of trees (palo verde trees in particular seem to attract them, but I've seen them around other trees as well). Once I was hiking in South Mountain Park, and I had a swarm of bees pass right by me. It scared the living **** out of me, since all bees in AZ are Africanized and are if they attack, they attack in a giant swarm, hundreds at once. While it's not something to worry about and it's not a reason to not live in AZ, it's definitely something to be aware of. There's also a huge cockroach problem in parts of the valley. I actually never saw a cockroach in my life until I came to ASU. Walk anywhere on campus at night in pretty much any month between March and November and I'll guarrantee you you'll see cockroaches all over the place. I've seen ones so big they are bigger than your fist. From what I understand, newer, cleaner parts of the valley might not have this problem, but there are many areas that do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area