Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 10:36 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times

Advertisements

I called the builder this morning and they asked me to send some photos and then will have the Field Manager come out and take a look. I didn't mention the efflorescence but I'm sure they will notice it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 01:25 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Could also be soil expansion putting pressure on the fence.
+1

likely a "footer" that was inadequate, along with that heavy rain we had recently causing the ground to swell.. I'd wonder if some of that effervescence might be from that big rain as well, at least the part that shows on the lower wall? I can't imagine anyone would willingly spray water all over a wall, or water to excess when they're paying for the water..

Old 01-13-2014, 01:36 PM

I guess I could see if any of the neighbors have the problem, that would answer the question about the rain.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:16 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Not too far from me a retaining wall began to collapse. Reminded me of your situation. It was found that the drain pipe was improperly installed so it was not directing water away from the retaining wall as it should be was seeping water right into the retaining wall.

(So your builder might say "what drain pipe")

So the masonry part of the retaining wall separated from the geo grid (the rebar looking stuff) that holds the wall in place.

(Your builder may say "what's a geo grid")

Water is quite a lifesaver and quite a destroyer. Without proper installation, the retaining wall is just cosmetic and not doing its job and doing you injustice.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:24 AM

247 posts, read 844,116 times
I could have written this post, in fact I did about 3 years ago. I told my neighbor, told my HOA and it did no good. I've documented the damage over time taking photos, so if and when that wall fails, he will be responsible. In documents it states shared walls are both our responsibilities unless damage is done by one of us, clearly he's damaging it. I saved all emails from the HOA too. It's happening all over our neighborhood too, even in the greenbelt areas where the community sprinklers hit walls, no cracks like yours just the white effervescent.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:49 AM

Do you CC&R's say anything about keeping a buffer between fences and grass areas?

Old 01-14-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdsmom View Post
I could have written this post, in fact I did about 3 years ago. I told my neighbor, told my HOA and it did no good. I've documented the damage over time taking photos, so if and when that wall fails, he will be responsible. In documents it states shared walls are both our responsibilities unless damage is done by one of us, clearly he's damaging it. I saved all emails from the HOA too. It's happening all over our neighborhood too, even in the greenbelt areas where the community sprinklers hit walls, no cracks like yours just the white effervescent.
Sounds like a class action suit.

But check local codes. Sometimes the right way has to do with ethics and morals and not the law.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:33 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,618 times
Why was it necessary for Pulte to build like that? I would think the area could have been excavated (right word?) into gentler rolling hills than drop-offs of four to six feet. The salt stains will get much worse than this as time goes on. I'd hate to have that wall come crashing down in my back yard. I don't think the neighbor has done anything intentionally to harm you, but the guy's going to be mad and even more anti-social if this costs him a lot of money. Frankly, I can't see that a buffer of rock is going to help much. The ground will still get soaked and leach through. The wall is ugly.

I just looked a the photo on the previous page. What is that crack in the retaining wall? I would say that the footing for the retaining wall has broken underneath. That must be a heck of a lot of weight.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:25 PM

I don't think they had much choice on the lots and it's pretty common to see lots staggered like this on "hills".

I ended up hearing back from the HOA and they said I can file a formal complaint and that per the CC&R, the person who causes damage to a wall is responsible for repairing it...so it's on him to fix anything that goes bad. I do think the buffer would help a lot, especially a 5' buffer as the rules say...and maybe that's why the buffer is so big because of the staggered lots and retaining walls. I'm sure the neighbor won't be happy about having to remove 5' of grass along his whole fence (lots are 60' wide and his grass basically goes the width of the yard..so that's 300 sq ft of grass that needs to be removed and the sprinklers moved) but why do I need to have my yard ruined?

Maybe he doesn't know and he will fix it...I would if I found out I was causing something like that, but some people have the attitude of "It's not my problem, *********". Hopefully they aren't one of those.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I don't think they had much choice on the lots and it's pretty common to see lots staggered like this on "hills".

I ended up hearing back from the HOA and they said I can file a formal complaint and that per the CC&R, the person who causes damage to a wall is responsible for repairing it...so it's on him to fix anything that goes bad. I do think the buffer would help a lot, especially a 5' buffer as the rules say...and maybe that's why the buffer is so big because of the staggered lots and retaining walls. I'm sure the neighbor won't be happy about having to remove 5' of grass along his whole fence (lots are 60' wide and his grass basically goes the width of the yard..so that's 300 sq ft of grass that needs to be removed and the sprinklers moved) but why do I need to have my yard ruined?

Maybe he doesn't know and he will fix it...I would if I found out I was causing something like that, but some people have the attitude of "It's not my problem, *********". Hopefully they aren't one of those.
See if you can work with him to put in a good drainpipe of some sort under that gravel so water does not all squish out of the yard pushing at your retaining wall but alonside and out somewhere you can find a suitable place.

He may be having the same trouble from his 'upline'. Maybe you can help him with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area