Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 12:23 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times

Advertisements

I don't know who ever though it was a good idea to pain the walls along Happy Valley Rd between 91st Ave and 99th Ave with a fake mountain landscape that looked like it was done by 5 year olds and/or graffiti. They are finally putting stucco over it and I assume painting it afterwards. Hallelujah!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 12:29 PM

800 posts, read 1,911,218 times
Good. I hate that ugly wall. I heard they were discussing putting up a new sound wall a while ago - I wonder if this has something to do with that.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:21 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
More money wasted doing something twice. While it wasn't the best looking "artwork" surely there was something more pressing to do with that money then re-stucco the wall to cover it up?

Reminds me of the 101 loop in the West Valley...they have had that road tore up for years. They built the thing, then shut a bunch of it down to put in an HOV lane and reopened it only to shut it down again to tear out the HOV lanes they just put in to do some other construction project they are working on now. Some people should be held accountable for all the money we are spending to tear up stuff we already spent money on to "upgrade".

Old 01-10-2014, 03:45 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Reminds me of the 101 loop in the West Valley...they have had that road tore up for years. They built the thing, then shut a bunch of it down to put in an HOV lane and reopened it only to shut it down again to tear out the HOV lanes they just put in to do some other construction project they are working on now. Some people should be held accountable for all the money we are spending to tear up stuff we already spent money on to "upgrade".
Is this the construction you're talking about? If so, much needed and warranted.

Quote:
The Glendale City Council approved an agreement with the Arizona Department of Transportation for the design, construction and maintenance of High-Occupancy Vehicle ramps on Loop 101 at Maryland Avenue.

The state will pay an estimated $14.5 million for the design and construction of the HOV ramps and cover maintenance. The city will pay for electrical costs and maintenance of the signals and streetlights.

Construction will begin this fall with completion expected in August 2014.

“With the 2015 Super Bowl on the horizon, this project is going to be an essential component to creating a great fan experience for the thousands of football fans coming to Glendale,” said Cathy Colbath, interim executive director of transportation services. “But more importantly, the new HOV ramps will create additional access in and out of the sports and entertainment district on a regular basis for Valley residents.”

Details: Glendale, AZ - Transportation 2 or call 623-930-2940.

Projects such as these are typically constructed in phases as the initial cost to do it all at once isn't feasible.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:51 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
It may be, I don't know where Maryland Ave is...it's somewhere around Glendale Ave where they have the lanes closed.

Surely it would have been much cheaper to "do it all at once" then to do it and right after you're done tear it up and do it again? I've been here for six years and the 101 loop in the west valley has had lanes closed for construction since I got here. What the heck good is adding these "upgrades" if their benefit is negated by closing the lanes six months later to start the next project?

I'm glad they are concerned about a "great fan experience" for the superbowl but could care less about the experience I've had on that road for the six years I've lived here. Maybe that is why they are covering up the "artwork" on Happy Valley road now...they want a "great fan experience" for the superbowl.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:06 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
More money wasted doing something twice. While it wasn't the best looking "artwork" surely there was something more pressing to do with that money then re-stucco the wall to cover it up?
I'm guessing they got lots of complaints and finally are doing it. They shouldn't have wasted money on the stupid drawings in the first place, a regular block fence would have looked better.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:09 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
I don't see any need to connect the 101 to the Maryland Bridge ........ especially since at some point there is going to be the Northern Parkway that will need to connect ....... just more chokepoints like on I-10 ..... that 75th ave HOV ramp is useless

I understand financing phases, but the phases are laid out poorly with a lot of duplicate expense .... there has to be a better way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: