Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 04:44 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,463,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy6879 View Post
As someone who doesn't consider myself conservative or religious -- it is very hard to come to a place like AZ from somewhere like CT.
Many people don't define their life via religion and/or politics. In AZ, we have found it refreshing/like the overall "live and let live" attitude towards other people's beliefs that we have found to be lacking living in other parts of country. Though I realize/suppose/understand this might be a difficult thing for some to deal with.

Good luck on your future plans.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:53 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
I dunno, my Italian ancestors printed news and other books in Italian so recent immigrants could read them ...... there were also huge populations of pretty much every ethnic group - which is why you have some many "ethnic-towns"

Miami has a wide variety of different groups there - it's definitely not one singular enclave

Percentages in places like Phoenix, Houston, et al would not be any different than historical patterns in any other city throughout the immigration surge when it came to people like the Germans

Old 01-13-2014, 04:56 PM

414 posts, read 533,721 times
Turn the oven on to about 300 degrees. Let it get hot then open the door with your face in front of it. That is how the summer is in the Phx area. I moved there in the mid 80`s and it was bearable back then. In the mid 90`s I moved north outside the city and the high would hit 105 to 107 on and off over the summer. We used to have frequent monsoon storms to cool it off in the afternoon. After almost 20 yeras there it turned into 90 days of 112 to 118 everyday with the monsoon humidity (40%+) and no rain. Yes it is lower humidity but once I got used to it being 8%, the 40%+ it hits from mid June to Mid Sept seemed high to me. Made it harder to breathe and the allergies year round were a lot worse. The grass/plants grow 12 months there. What I found that worked for me was a move yet further north to a smaller 5200` elevation town. Cleaner air, way less crime, nice people, same low wages but much cheaper housing/cost of living. If I were making your move today I would make sure I have plenty of cash, keep the house I own back there for at least a year or two, be prepared to be tossed around at a job or jobs and be ready for high vehicle tags, insurance, utitlties. You will need A/C and it is expensive to run with APS. Salt River used to be a little cheaper but not sure now. If you buy a house make sure and get a block one. Termites love to eat the ones built by the rough carpenters here. Go to the Wildlife Zoo and become familiar with the reptiles/snakes etc. that are native here. If you have a cat or small dog keep it indoors so the coyotes can`t get it. One really important thing is to never tell anyone how "we used to do it back east".

Old 01-13-2014, 05:11 PM

768 posts, read 1,758,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
If that's the case, then nothing in Arizona, New Mexico, Southern California, or even parts of Tejas is for you... I think Arizona will not be your paradise, no matter what you think about how nice our weather is.
OP - you will not be happy in the southwest or anyplace below the Mason-Dixon line and west of the Atlantic ocean.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:17 PM

206 posts, read 570,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Many people don't define their life via religion and/or politics. In AZ, we have found it refreshing/like the overall "live and let live" attitude towards other people's beliefs that we have found to be lacking living in other parts of country. Though I realize/suppose/understand this might be a difficult thing for some to deal with.

Refreshing to be overrun with no control over it?

Live and let live?

You had no choice!

Rationalize it all you want.

Thank God most of the country rejects your mis-guided "beliefs".

Old 01-13-2014, 05:18 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,643,677 times
No, no such thing as paradise on earth but I'll take the east personally.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:21 PM

639 posts, read 971,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You live in Gilbert. I think if you were here in Scottsdale, you would have a totally different take. Politics play zero role in my daily life and my interactions with my (great) neighbors.
I would agree.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:30 PM

639 posts, read 971,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post

I am about as "live and let live" as you can get. What I don't appreciate, is being hounded by people knocking on our doors to convert us to their religion, and then not speaking to us when we don't. I see a lot of religious influence in the local community and thus dictating how the community is run in many ways. That's not live and let live, that's "live the way we think you should, or we won't have anything to do with you." And that has been most of our experience since we moved here.

The "other parts of the country" you mention never once asked us what religion we are or even if we attend church as one of the initial questions when they get to know us. Here, they do. Just warning the OP to expect that, as it wasn't something I would have thought to ask before we moved here.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:36 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,633,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy6879 View Post
I am about as "live and let live" as you can get. What I don't appreciate, is being hounded by people knocking on our doors to convert us to their religion, and then not speaking to us when we don't. I see a lot of religious influence in the local community and thus dictating how the community is run in many ways. That's not live and let live, that's "live the way we think you should, or we won't have anything to do with you." And that has been most of our experience since we moved here.

The "other parts of the country" you mention never once asked us what religion we are or even if we attend church as one of the initial questions when they get to know us. Here, they do. Just warning the OP to expect that, as it wasn't something I would have thought to ask before we moved here.
Did you not research Gilbert at all before moving there though? I did and that's one of the reasons why I don't live there.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:44 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,773,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchtime View Post
Based on my personal experiences, I would rate the San Diego area as being the closest to what I perceive paradise to be like with perfect year round mild sunny weather leading the list. Other factors would be scenic areas, medical care, crime, educational opportunities, traffic, personal well being, housing costs and employment opportunities. The crime rate, low salaries, mediocre public schools, pollution, and worst of all, unbearable heat and dust storms during the summer put a damper on describing Phoenix as paradise. Just my opinion after living here for 11 years.
I have lived in both Phoenix and San Diego. I certainly agree that San Diego is a lot closer to paradise than Phoenix. Southern California has the best climate in the country by far. The only advantage that Phoenix has over San Diego is the cost of living. San Diego is considerably more expensive than Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area