Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 12:06 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times

Advertisements

We never have enough money for better schools, transportation, healthcare, and other public services but somehow there is enough money to finance an arena and a hockey team with a very limited fanbase.

It's kind of fascinating where people's priorities are.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...nrealized.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 01:52 PM

469 posts, read 1,037,426 times
I went to see a fight, and a hockey game broke out.....one of the very few sports more boring than soccer.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:27 PM

14 posts, read 23,337 times
The people in govt in arizona are idiots. Vote them out and you will get better results

Old 01-29-2014, 04:09 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeyer2013 View Post
I went to see a fight, and a hockey game broke out.....one of the very few sports more boring than soccer.
Given your flippant comment it's clear you know nothing about hockey or soccer.

The "investment" in sports infrastructure is always a money loser. Even in Detroit, a city beyond broke, taxpayers will be footing half the bill for a billionaire owner. It should come as a surprise to no one that this was a bad deal.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:41 PM

966 posts, read 1,346,137 times
just do what I do and send a message, do not visit any businesses that are in the arenas or near them, turn them into ghost towns.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:44 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
just do what I do and send a message, do not visit any businesses that are in the arenas or near them, turn them into ghost towns.
How's that working out for you?

Old 01-29-2014, 04:52 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
Quote:
Genius! Take that business (possibly local) that just happens to be located in the vicinity of an arena. Salt the Earth!

Old 01-29-2014, 04:58 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,488 times
Quote:

That's a great idea,punish local businesses because of a dumb mistake by the city.

Then what happens to the arena when it fails? It will still cost money sitting dormant. At least the new owners are making an attempt to make the Coyotes prosperous. Any business will fail without good management and marketing. We were at the game on New Years Eve,it was sold out and it was a great game.'Yotes tied it with 1:15 left in the 3rd and won it with 6.5 secs in OT. The place was rocking and everyone had a great time. The article is based on the last 10 years which was highly mismanaged,maybe everyone should give the new owners a few years to see if they can turn things around.The taxpayers are on the hook anyways,might as well try and support them.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:43 AM

107 posts, read 201,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeyer2013 View Post

yeah and I have never seen a dugout clearing brawl at a baseball game either.

I thought baseball was a non-contact sport?

What other gane can you throw a ball 100 miles an hour at someones head and pretend it wasn't intentional?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:55 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,898 times
The whole push to bring and then keep the Coyotes here is asinine. Glendale is in all sorts of debt because of the failure that is Westgate, there are three total Coyotes fans, the franchise is clearly frantic in trying to attract a fan base by changing their name, and the ice hockey fans already here mainly hold allegiance to their teams back at home. The Coyotes need to get the boot, Glendale needs to find another use for the arena that doesn't include taxpayer subsidies or the thing needs to be torn to the ground and given back to the cows who once grazed there in peace...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area