Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 04:00 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,119,970 times

Advertisements

Thinking of buying home in south Scottsdale near Scottsdale Road between Thomas and McDowell. I can't find any home I like or that is priced in my range that is close to where I'll be working on the north side of the Scottsdale airport. It's too expensive in all directions.

What is the general commute direction in the morning? Are more people driving north or south? If more people are driving north on Scottsdale Road and the 101 in the morning, I might have to reconsider making an offer. Thanks for any assistance from a long-time Phoenix resident who is unfamiliar with the commuting habits of this part of the Valley.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 04:11 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,360,527 times
My experience on that side is most of the traffic is going south on 101 in the morning. I would log on every day for a week to the ADOT site and see how traffic looks. I go to a place near Scottsdale Road and McDowell frequently at different times of the day. You have several options in the event of bad traffic on that side - North on SDale Road, North on Hayden, etc. so you should be OK. In a really bad traffic situation you could even go west on Mcdowell, jump on the 143 -->202W --> 51 North and then double back on Greenway East. I would only do that if there were a big pileup on the 101 North, because everyone else would be choosing SD road or Hayden. But it's doable and Greenway East takes you directly into the Airpark. (from the 51@ Greenway it's a 12 minute drive)

Old 02-01-2014, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the information. I'm currently renting near the 51 and Northern and I want to own. The commute from here would involve going east on Greenway in the morning and then going west on Greenway in the afternoon. In other words, the sun would be in my eyes both ways every day.

Glad to know traffic is more south-going in the morning than the reverse. The home I'm looking at is really not much closer to my job than where I rent now, but I need a change and a yard for my dog. A north-south commute the way I'm picturing it--on Scottsdale Road, Hayden, Pima, or the 101--won't blind me every day and I'll have options.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:29 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,201,302 times
That commute should be OK. More traffic southbound on the surface streets as well, though there will be some northbound. That area of Scottsdale actually has a lot close by. Hope it works out for you, and the dog!

Old 02-02-2014, 10:49 AM

Thank you, observer53. I keep looking for alternative houses, but there's just NOTHING under $250K+/- within 8 miles of the area where I'll be working by the airpark. North and east are not options because they're too far away from everything. I haven't seen any homes in my price range east of Tatum in North Phoenix, and Paradise Valley is out of my league. Arcadia, west of south Scottsdale is also too expensive and the commute would be even longer from there. Looks like my best option truly is south Scottsdale. I do LOVE the house I found and should probably pounce on it. I'm happy to know the commute is a "sort of" reverse one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area