Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 03:34 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times

Advertisements

Then you shouldn't say you "are moving" to any of those places. It just confuses people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 03:36 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
And in four threads you haven't learned that you'll need to provide more details, especially your budget and job location, in order to get useful feedback?

She's given information on the job location in the Phoenix area, and Flagstaff is Flagstaff- really not that important to specify a job location there.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:15 PM

84 posts, read 141,629 times
What about Arcadia?

Old 02-12-2014, 07:09 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolea View Post
Right now Im looking at Glendale as to where I will be working. But we are in the middle of interviews right now. But are not afraid of a 30 minute commute.
If you are able to secure a job in Glendale, I would recommend the North Valley. Depending on where you will be working (Glendale is actually quite large) I would recommend several options.

One area I like very much is the Dynamite Mountain Ranch/Sonoran Foothills area. Nice newer area with good access to shopping, dining, open spaces and mountain views, close to I-17 and the Loop 101.

If you need to be more on the west side to can look at the Arrowhead area. Well established, plenty of commercial areas and several nice parks and preserves.

Get a map of the metro area and take a look at your potential work locations. Pick some areas within 10-15 miles and research those. You do not want to have to commute 30-40 miles, It is too costly and time consuming.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:25 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
When people say they are moving to Phoenix, why don't they ever consider living in PHOENIX?

There are some beautiful areas in Phoenix, City of. If you locate in the center of the metro, almost everything will be a reverse commute. Phoenix is lively and casual. There are lots of things for people of all ages to do, but especially young people. You're unlikely to find empty bars and restaurants. You'll also have public parks, music, theater, major league baseball and basketball, galleries and museums, bookstores, malls, etc. in the city. If you don't want to live in the urban center, there are many nice and safe neighborhoods that are spread out with lovely landscaping. Condos and apartment complexes with the light rail to carry you to the city center and even take you to Tempe for university activities.

Most anyone here would always recommend renting as opposed to buying for new residents. Get settled. Learn your way around Metro Phoenix, which is bigger than some states. Make sure the new job actually works out. After a year in a rental, you'll have a much better idea which suburbs are to your liking if you decide not to stay in the city. You're only young once. Take advantage of it. Why rush right into suburban family neighborhoods when you don't even have a family yet?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
When people say they are moving to Phoenix, why don't they ever consider living in PHOENIX?

There are some beautiful areas in Phoenix, City of. If you locate in the center of the metro, almost everything will be a reverse commute. Phoenix is lively and casual. There are lots of things for people of all ages to do, but especially young people. You're unlikely to find empty bars and restaurants. You'll also have public parks, music, theater, major league baseball and basketball, galleries and museums, bookstores, malls, etc. in the city. If you don't want to live in the urban center, there are many nice and safe neighborhoods that are spread out with lovely landscaping. Condos and apartment complexes with the light rail to carry you to the city center and even take you to Tempe for university activities.

Most anyone here would always recommend renting as opposed to buying for new residents. Get settled. Learn your way around Metro Phoenix, which is bigger than some states. Make sure the new job actually works out. After a year in a rental, you'll have a much better idea which suburbs are to your liking if you decide not to stay in the city. You're only young once. Take advantage of it. Why rush right into suburban family neighborhoods when you don't even have a family yet?
Most people who have any experience with American cities would probably just think that Phoenix is the typical downtown with high rises surrounded by dangerous and decayed neighborhoods. It's not of course. The actual downtown is more like a cemetery at midnight - dead and deserted - unless there is some sports or the occasional cultural activity going on. But it is safe. I think downtown is more appropriate for retirees who want an urban-light experience than for young people. As for the rest of the city of...you are right. There are good places centrally located. Me, I prefer the open spaces, mountain vistas and the clean air of the exurbs, but I will admit there is more to do closer in.

More generally, we have a nasty habit on this forum of sending everyone under 30 to Tempe and everyone older than that to Scottsdale (and everyone with kids to Gilbert). One would think that all there is to life is eating out, drinking, and dancing and that the only place you can do that in style is one of those two places.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:29 AM

33 posts, read 93,892 times
We are looking to rent instead of buy a home for a little while. Make sure we like the location. As far as where the job is it is either going to be I have several options at the moment to choose from until i finish interviewing and pick one. Top picks right now are located in Mesa, Gilbert, Tempe, and Glendale. So at the moment I cant fully narrow it down. Will help when i fly down for the interviews and get to look around.
Sorry I cant be more specific. if we were to buy a house we were looking at around 200,000 being our max limit for the time being. But we are going to rent first.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:34 AM

33 posts, read 93,892 times
Thank you everyone who has posted so far. You are being more help than you know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area