Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:55 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times

Advertisements

What areas are considered the best places/ towns to raise a family within a 30-40 min drive to Phoenix? We live in Henderson NV, 25 mins from Vegas and out here the crime is getting pretty bad, the schools are incredibly overcrowded. And with the influx of Illegal Aliens gangs are on the rise!

I'm sure alot of Phoenix areas have the same issues, but are there any areas that are a drive away from Phoenix for work yet in an area with low crime, good schools and reasonable priced homes? We are in the 250-370,000 price range for a single family home.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 02:27 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
Positiveone, I'm partial to the east valley for many reasons, but one reason in particular is if you drive to Phonix to work from the east valley the sun is not in your eyes going to and from work like it is in the west valley.

The Gilbert area has lots of homes within your price range, and so does the south Tempe area, although some of the homes in that price range may be older in Tempe.

Both areas have good schools.

I live in the Val Vista Lakes community in Gilbert which is within your driving range. Here is a link to the community web site.

Val Vista Lakes - Your Community

Homes range from $275,000 up to $1.5 million. It has an elementary school in the community and the junior and high schools are not far.

I checked the MLS and there are 10 homes for sale in Val Vista Lakes community at the present time within your price range of 250 to 370.

Bill

Old 12-01-2007, 03:33 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
Dont forget surprise. The safest city in Arizona. A nice family area with improving schools.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:14 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,949 times
I do not plan to put my son in public schools if we still live in Arizona when we get to that point. There are too many good charter or free prep schools in the valley that outperform the public schools. To me, low on crime, reasonable priced homes, within driving distance to Phoenix, and near a place with several schooling choices is key.

That said, I also think Gilbert and Surprise are excellent options; however, I'd make sure that your commute will be to Phoenix. Driving to the east valley from Surprise or the west valley from Gilbert would not be good! You will get a lot more house and land for your money in Surprise, but if you plan on sending your kids to public school, I do believe that Gilbert has better public schools. You're in the price range for a nice home in Marley Park, the elite community in Surprise, and the public elementary and high school for that community is good.

You might also check out Happy Valley, Arrowhead, and North Scottsdale.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:31 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Jco, charter schools are public schools, though I guess I know what you are getting at. You should also know that while there are excellent charter schools, some of the very worst schools in the state are charter schools. The only reliable indicator of school performance, public or charter, is the income/education of the students' parents.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:58 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Positiveone, I'm partial to the east valley for many reasons, but one reason in particular is if you drive to Phonix to work from the east valley the sun is not in your eyes going to and from work like it is in the west valley.

The Gilbert area has lots of homes within your price range, and so does the south Tempe area, although some of the homes in that price range may be older in Tempe.

Both areas have good schools.

I live in the Val Vista Lakes community in Gilbert which is within your driving range. Here is a link to the community web site.

Val Vista Lakes - Your Community

Homes range from $275,000 up to $1.5 million. It has an elementary school in the community and the junior and high schools are not far.

I checked the MLS and there are 10 homes for sale in Val Vista Lakes community at the present time within your price range of 250 to 370.

Bill

I second that.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:01 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
What areas are considered the best places/ towns to raise a family within a 30-40 min drive to Phoenix? We live in Henderson NV, 25 mins from Vegas and out here the crime is getting pretty bad, the schools are incredibly overcrowded. And with the influx of Illegal Aliens gangs are on the rise!

I'm sure alot of Phoenix areas have the same issues, but are there any areas that are a drive away from Phoenix for work yet in an area with low crime, good schools and reasonable priced homes? We are in the 250-370,000 price range for a single family home.

Thanks!
We have a lot of the problems Vegas has but I think you will like AZ better. I did not like living in Vegas at all. I sure love to visit though

Old 12-02-2007, 11:32 AM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Jco, charter schools are public schools, though I guess I know what you are getting at. You should also know that while there are excellent charter schools, some of the very worst schools in the state are charter schools. The only reliable indicator of school performance, public or charter, is the income/education of the students' parents.
It's not difficult to tell the good from the bad, so that's a good thing! And yes, you don't want to put your kids in a drop-out school.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:25 PM

21 posts, read 179,103 times
We live in the Tatum Ranch area of Cave Creek and absolutely love it. We moved here from Canada and could not be happier with the friendly, quiet area we have settled in.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:20 AM

501 posts, read 1,192,056 times
Hi Positiveone....we too, now live in Henderson, NV, but moved here from the Phoenix area about 6 months ago. We lived in Glendale, which is a northwest suburb. It is just about as far away from Phoenix as we are to the strip. If I may suggest, check out San Prado luxury apartments on 59th Ave & the Loop 101. We lived there and found it quite safe. I can't advise you of schools, because our daughter didn't attend schools there. There are plenty of shops and grocery stores nearby (even within walking distance). Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area