Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 08:53 AM

84 posts, read 140,835 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a small academic symposium—about 10 attendees in all for one full day (9-5), late Feb/early March 2015, in one room equipped with a basic A/V projector and comfortable seats. (My budget is just under $7k, if this helps, but I have to include honoraria, food, et cetera.)

I want to know if you've been in any awesome small business meeting spaces: hotel boardrooms, resort meeting spaces, et cetera. Something with character, hopefully near some unique PHX landmarks or views or restaurants. Have you been to a conference at a resort in Tempe, Scottsdale, or PHX? Have you ever been in ASU's SkySong or the ASU Downtown Mercado meeting spaces?

The other venues I'm considering are downtown hotels that people can stay overnight at and have the meeting space (Hyatt, Sheraton, Renaissance). I'd love to be able to walk everyone over to Cartel, Matt's Big Breakfast, Nobuo, places like that for meals.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 11:17 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,706,562 times
My wife and I have both been to conferences at Phoenix Conference Center and Meeting Facility - Black Canyon Conference Center. They seem to specialize in the sort of thing that you are planning, though the location is doesn't quite fit what you are looking for. My wife's employer tends to use SkySong and I haven't heard any complaints. If you look at downtown hotels, don't forget the new ones like the Palomar and the Westin as well as the San Carlos hotel.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:04 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,187,779 times
I think the Mercado location would be a good one. So much within walking distance. I would start there.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:59 PM

768 posts, read 1,751,526 times
Check out Changing Hands Bookstore. Yes, a bookstore. A much loved, community bookstore.

Coming Soon - Changing Hands Bookstore Phoenix | Changing Hands Bookstore

Old 02-14-2014, 05:03 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,187,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Check out Changing Hands Bookstore. Yes, a bookstore. A much loved, community bookstore.

Coming Soon - Changing Hands Bookstore Phoenix | Changing Hands Bookstore

Good idea, question would be nearest hotel space (Besides the old Days Inn down the road a few blocks)

Old 02-14-2014, 06:12 PM

84 posts, read 140,835 times
Great ideas, everyone! I will definitely keep Changing Hands in mind, and I appreciate the Mercado vote. I hadn't seen the Black Canyon yet, so I'll definitely be on that.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:23 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,134,075 times
We've done Black Canyon many times and they do a good job .... location isn't great though

Places like Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops also have meeting facilities that are reasonable that we've used for classes we've put on

A lot of options out there for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area