Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 01:01 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times

Advertisements

Largest Gun Study Ever: More Guns, More Murder | ThinkProgress
Two new studies confirm gun control's worst nightmare: More guns, less crime - Phoenix gun rights | Examiner.com
The gun debate will go nowhere, both studies contradict each other. Might as well stop now.

I see this incident and other similar incidents resulting from anger and rage issues, not weapons sales or ownership. Of course if someone with rage issues has a gun, and fights with someone else who has rage issues without a gun, chances are only one will be shot in the end.

It would serve our country better to investigate why we are so angry. Only then will we see less of these encounters. Guns have little to do with the people who use them when it comes to initiation of said fight. IMO. We do enjoy publicizing violent news broadcasts, and our attitude is very competitive due to our capitalist upbringing. That might have more to do with it then owning a gun.

I'm taking these studies with a grain of salt, but they have said to have proven that playing those violent games, and watching violent shows increases aggressiveness in your daily life. It makes sense to me if you think about it, which is why I tend to believe this one. I've only seen aggressive people use weapons unjustly.
Professor: It's clear, playing violent games increases aggressive behavior - GameSpot

Old 02-18-2014, 01:04 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeanajessse View Post
As far as me stating that he was careless,hot headed and carried everywhere he went that is not what i said.I was referring to some citizens who are too hot headed,careless and feel a need to carry a handgun everywhere they go.I am neither pro gun nor against,my point is not everyone who lives in a particular state is responsible enough to be carrying a gun.When people are pulling out guns over fist fights,road rage or just because someone gives them a dirty look, that is where the lack of responsibility comes in.No need for all the gun rights people to get themselves all twisted, i am just stating that whether this particular situation is justified or not justified it gets a bit scary that confrontations that should not involve the use of a handgun can wind up putting you in the ground.
And that's the debate that will go nowhere. Do we all stop eating because Johnny is a sloppy eater?

Old 02-18-2014, 01:09 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
According to the initial news reports the victim had his back to the shooter and was shot from behind. If this is the case the shooter will probably end up facing manslaughter charges.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:12 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Those who point out that the gun issues surrounding this event are not strictly Arizona issues are correct, as this same event could have happened anywhere. Please keep an Arizona, on-topic focus to this thread, by confining your discussion to the event itself, or take your discussion to the general forums.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:16 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I suspect that the shooter was not open carrying because then only an idiot gets into a fistfight with a gun carrying opponent
You bring up an interesting point. What does the average Joe do if a guy openly carrying walks up at the grocery line and squeezes his wife's boob?

I mean, he be an IDIOT to object right?

Old 02-18-2014, 01:38 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,488 times
Quote:
As far as me stating that he was careless,hot headed and carried everywhere he went that is not what i said.I was referring to some citizens who are too hot headed,careless and feel a need to carry a handgun everywhere they go.I am neither pro gun nor against,my point is not everyone who lives in a particular state is responsible enough to be carrying a gun.When people are pulling out guns over fist fights,road rage or just because someone gives them a dirty look, that is where the lack of responsibility comes in.No need for all the gun rights people to get themselves all twisted, i am just stating that whether this particular situation is justified or not justified it gets a bit scary that confrontations that should not involve the use of a handgun can wind up putting you in the ground.

I do agree but this has nothing to do with with Az open carry law. Some people are just more nuts than others and let little things tick them off. If that was the case then the shooter should be prosecuted for this but unfortunately this happens everywhere. In Mass., we have some of the strictest gun laws in the country and it doesn't do anything when this kind of situation happens. It's actually done the opposite, crime has soared since our laws have gotten stricter.

Quote:
Since 1998, gun crime in Massachusetts has gotten worse, not better. In 2011, Massachusetts recorded 122 murders committed with firearms, the Globe reported this month — “a striking increase from the 65 in 1998.” Other crimes rose too. Between 1998 and 2011, robbery with firearms climbed 20.7 percent. Aggravated assaults jumped 26.7 percent.

Don’t hold your breath waiting for gun-control activists to admit they were wrong. The treatment they prescribed may have yielded the opposite of the results they promised, but they’re quite sure the prescription wasn’t to blame.

Crime Soared with new Massachusetts Gun Law | The Valley Patriot

Old 02-18-2014, 01:47 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,946,687 times
I remember several years ago when they passed the law allowing anyone in AZ over 21 and a non felon to conceal carry, folks were predicting the end of the world in AZ.
This is the first time that I have seen that someone was shot in a sketchy manner and the new law has been in effect for many years.
I think this will probably serve as a wake up call to anyone who wants to get into a fight with a stranger since it creates a doubt whether you are feeling lucky(dirty harry flashback) since your opponent may have a gun that he is willing to use.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:35 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAinAZ View Post
Can you please provide the source where you learned that there are more of these incidents here in AZ or in any state with similar gun laws? I am highly interested in reading the stats that show the correlation between the two.
I don't have any stats and you don't have any to the contrary. It is common sense that a certain number of people will carry a gun when the law allows it but would not do so if the law did not. It is also common sense that a small percentage of those people will end up using the gun when they should not.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:43 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
[font=Arial]Was reading article about the altercation that occurred at the Chandler Walmart.I understand that Az has open carry and do not really know all the facts of the altercation, why fight occurred and how severe fight was.
How do you figure that "open carry" had something to do with this? Most people don't carry in the open but a few do.

Quote:
I understand the premise of self defense but its a bit scary that every time you have a disagreement with someone you might wind up on the wrong side of the grass.
That goes for anywhere. Arizona isn't unique in that regard. There is a lot of speculation here.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:47 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
As far as me stating that he was careless,hot headed and carried everywhere he went that is not what i said.I was referring to some citizens who are too hot headed,careless and feel a need to carry a handgun everywhere they go.
i am just stating that whether this particular situation is justified or not justified it gets a bit scary that confrontations that should not involve the use of a handgun can wind up putting you in the ground.
The thing is, this happens in California too, and people can't even carry guns there. You are connecting a lot of dots that aren't Arizona specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area